you are a bad doctor

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

you are a bad doctor

Postby traceywatson » Mon May 14, 2012 5:29 pm

hello. well i thought i had a good relationship with my doc but today has proved me wrong. as i have had a lot of new symptoms lately i have been back and forward to the docs to get them checked. today i went in and asked him to rechack my thyroid and also to refer me privately for a brain scan. i have been very depressed, and for weeks he has said he will refer me to the loony people for my depression. i am still waiting for this appointment. i am teetering on the edge now. today he said that he feels that i should be looked after by another doctor now as he cann ot keep sending me for test after test. i replied by saying that with a new fibro symptom yuo need to check it out. he confirmed quite firmly that all my symptoms are anxiety and really fibro is just anxiety. he then asked if i had heard of Munchhousen (which is where you keep going to docs or hosp for attention or something like that) i could not believe what i was hearing! so anyway after about 5 mins i walked out of the room and said that i will be looking to join another doctors practice. how do you get on with your docs? do they automatically send you for scans or is their word good enough that nothing is wrong. now feel like i have no one to turn to. some fibro symptoms do not resemble anxiety at all!!!!!
traceywatson
UKFM Member

Re: you are a bad doctor

Postby bestnan » Mon May 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi

What a bedside manner, I'm glad they are not my Dr's but sometimes I feel I'm hitting a brick wall. As for the munhausans by proxy, that cannot be proved so how can he even think you have it. And as for fibro being nothing but anxiety is absolute crud. This is the problem when you have Dr's who have no knowledge about a condition.

Hope you get better help with someone else
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby TeeferTiger » Mon May 14, 2012 6:18 pm

What a kind and caring GP you (used to) have!

My GP thinks that all my symptoms are due to being depressed and not sleeping properly. Well, I don't think I sleep too badly (just insomnia in cycles with my migraines) and I don't feel depressed-I get tearful easily, but I can't say I'm feeling down etc. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if I was depressed, but I've had these aches and pains for longer than I could've been depressed so I'm pretty sure that it's not depression!

Anyway, she agreed to refer me to a rheumatologist and she's hoping that they say it's not fibro as if that will suddenly make all my aches and pains go away. I didn't look at fibromyalgia as something else to have wrong with me, I view it as an answer to other medical problems that previous GPs have dismissed as one thing or another but have persisted.
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:19 pm

thats rediculous ive got a good gp she leaves me to do all the research and everytime i come in with a new view or new med that might work we discuss it and between us we decide if it would b right for me i get sent for regular full bloods and i get regular xrays and ct/mri usually one or other of them every yr or there abouts if something gets sorer i wait a couple of days if it dont ease bk ill go get it checked none of the drs mind me getting things checked although some of them i refuse to see as although there very nice to my face u can see that in there eyes they couldnt care less and over the yrs ive found that with that sort of look ill b told to take regular paracetamol or theres nothing can b done so avoid those drs as there sole distroying to my mood and i have enough of a problem with depression without feeling like im wasting there time xx
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 pm

My fibro friend had been also suffering lots of different symptoms and had many tests recently after pain clinic injections went wrong and he needed to see what exactly happened (long story)

My point here is he was given the *munchausens* label :yikes: because each test came back clear yet he was still *searching* for answers as to why he still felt so ill with pain.

Munchausens and munchausens by proxy are different. By proxy is when the adult seeks attention saying there child is ill (too much to explain) where munchausens is a *ficticous* disorder where you *seek* attention by *making* up illness and conditions and go round needing and wanting test after test... (more also to this)

He found himself diagnosed by the mental health team when seeking help as he was sucidal with the extreme dibilitating pain.

Some GP"s believe fibro is a somatoform disorder (all in a head syndrome) which can be connected to the munchausens. I had to really research all information on all these disorders and any connections to fibro to help my friend over turn there dicision which the eventually did!!

The thing with somatoform disorder is that you really do feel symptoms but it doesnt show up in tests..... mmmm see my point now! somatoform is pain from pyscological trauma and stress.

Anxiety can cause simular symptoms to both illnessess as you can build up huge tension resulting in pain and other symptoms.

BUT with fibro when you have a new symptom (which wont show up) you still for your peace of mind need reasurance that its not an underlying condition and for everything to be ruled out so... the problem comes here :-

You go to GP insisting on additional tests etc as symptoms are very bad and they shrug it off (in some cases) you then get anxious and need reasurance so keep seeking help... they then in our case see you as munchausens or mental health issue :roll: hope your all understanding this :crazy:

The GP should be explaining why he feels you are not in need of such tests rather then trying to brand you with this disorder!! I personaly would speak to the practice manager and say that you are not being delt with in a professional manner and need help not palmed off!! :evil:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Mon May 14, 2012 7:21 pm

I agree with Lisa, have a word with the practice manager. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Sazzle » Mon May 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Speak to the practice manager and voice your concerns.

To say that you need to see another doctor as he can't send you for test after test is :swear1:

Munchausens is something that a psychiatrist can diagnose but a GP has no right to say this. Most GPs have only done their basic rotations in psych. I should know as have had to deal with many a GP trainee on rotation in A&E who seem to think they are a consultant psychiatrist as had a couple of lectures on mental health!

The somatisation is a mental health thing yes, the poster who put this is correct. To the patient the pain is very real but is caused by psychological issues not physical ones.

Am glad I have a great GP. He did make me laugh last Monday when I went in and mentioned the Fibro and he said "who said you have Fibro", I reminded him that it was him who said "well we have ruled out everything else so I guess it must be". I asked him if there was any point in referral to the rheumy and he said no. He also agreed with my suggestion of a change from Citalopram to Duloxetine, start that next week. He printed out his info sheet from his database about Fibro, made me laugh as I already know far more than is on that sheet, but I gave it to my manager after our meeting so she knows what I am having to deal with whilst holding down a job.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby just-me » Mon May 14, 2012 11:47 pm

I have heard that it's better to have a Dr who is under 40 years old as older Dr's either are not aware of or don't believe in Fibro. Is that true?
Rabbit Forum for over 16's.

http://rabbitrendezvous.co.uk/
just-me
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Dont think such a aweeping statement is true just-me some older doctors are open to new research just as some younger ones aren't
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillybabes_98 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:11 pm

I had a wonderful Doctor in London but since moving back to Scotland Ive been to see my new GP four times for him to say I needed a councillor and he asked me what I expected him to do about my symptoms, there are days I cannot walk my muscles spasm for hours on end and Im in excrutiating pain, does this GP think I enjoy feeling like this? Its driving me nuts, I cant get any help at all from that surgery Im with and Im not able to travel miles to another one:( Im so depressed with it all that Ive actually planned to return to London to live in the hope I get a GP who will actually help me with this condition, I dont sleep well at all and when I eventually fall asleep 9 times out of 10 I wake up with the pain:( I cant even seem o find anyone up here who can supply me with aids I need:( its terrible I housebound most of the time
gillybabes_98
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Sat May 19, 2012 3:37 pm

gillybabes_98 wrote:I had a wonderful Doctor in London but since moving back to Scotland Ive been to see my new GP four times for him to say I needed a councillor and he asked me what I expected him to do about my symptoms, there are days I cannot walk my muscles spasm for hours on end and Im in excrutiating pain, does this GP think I enjoy feeling like this? Its driving me nuts, I cant get any help at all from that surgery Im with and Im not able to travel miles to another one:( Im so depressed with it all that Ive actually planned to return to London to live in the hope I get a GP who will actually help me with this condition, I dont sleep well at all and when I eventually fall asleep 9 times out of 10 I wake up with the pain:( I cant even seem o find anyone up here who can supply me with aids I need:( its terrible I housebound most of the time

:welcome:
Have you got a support group in your area? thats a good way of finding out who other sufferers Gp`s are. Have a look in the support group topic & if you cant find one local try a google search. :goodluck1:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services