physio

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

physio

Postby masonsbarms » Sun May 20, 2012 2:58 pm

hi i have got my first physio appointment on friday,

what can i expect?

thanks
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Re: physio

Postby denys » Sun May 20, 2012 4:19 pm

depends really they should explain everything to you when you get there and then it should be taken slowly :fingerscrossed: for everything
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Sun May 20, 2012 6:33 pm

thanks denys
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby madvixen » Tue May 22, 2012 2:09 pm

I've got my first one on Thursday so I'll try and remember to post about it on Thursday night for you
x
madvixen
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Tue May 22, 2012 2:12 pm

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm

hi thanks shazq, and that would be great madvixen thanks
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 10:29 am

Your 1st appointment will probably be asking you loads of questions. That is what happened with me. Then she discussed the pain/pacing group, I can't remember what it is called but basically it is for people with chronic pain. I couldn't go to the 1st 2 as my anxiety levels were way out of range and I really struggle mixing with people. so during that time when I went to the physiotherapist she used to just try and talk me into joining the next group otherwise she would do it on a 1-1 basis but said I wouldn't get as much out of it as I would in a group, with people suffering chronic pain like I do.

Anyway, I started going to the group 3 weeks ago. Basically, we sit around in a semi circle while the physio discusses pain, why we have it, how the pain is signalled etc. Then we do 1 minute of exercise on each apparatus: bike, trampoline, step, weights (don't have to use them) star jumps, or in my case star steps. sit ups, no way, so I do them against the wall and a few others. But they do have alternative ways to do the exercises if the ones they have set out are too much for you.

Then it's coffee time and get to chat with others in the group before going back to listening to the physio. We do do some brainstorming so you are pretty active during the sitting time.

The exercises are so gentle but oh boy you do hurt for days after, I think this is where we have to not give in to the added pain but work through it so our muscles don't relapse. All the exercises are aimed at strengthening your muscles, sounds easy but as you all know our msucles tire so easily and ache and hurt.

Each session lasts for 3 hours, so a lot of sitting as the exercises are over in about 7 minutes.

Mine is a 6 week course, missed this weeks due to sheer exhaustion and pain. Maybe I should have fought it and gone but I just don't have any energy.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Wed May 23, 2012 5:16 pm

hi thanks melbie sounds hard work but worth it xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Let's just say anyone who doesn't suffer from chronic pain would look in and think us pathetic but the exercises as light as they are are hard work, plus the last thing they want us to do is over do it and end up with a flare up.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby lala1626 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:11 pm

i wish my experience with physio was as positive as all the rest of the people who have posted.

my first appointment was ok, she asked me what meds i was taking and what exercise i was doing, obviously i said not a lot and she tutted at me,( first annoyance of the session.)

she gave me a sheet of exercises to do and thats it.

i did the excercises the best i could and had a few days being in agony after doing them, my second appointment she asked me how i was getting on with the exercises.

i told her that i was finding them a bit difficult and she told me to keep going and then said she didn't need to see me again and that was it.

i dont feel satisfied that i got the care that i need and the exercises dont help me at all now.

glad that you guys have better experiences than i did.

gentle hugs
lauren xxxxx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 10:29 pm

That isawful Lauren :(

I'd ask to be referred back. The physio I saw who convinced me to join the pain group was a bit off hand, as if she was thinking, ;here we go again another one with pain all in her head', but when I joined the group (eventually) the 2 physios are brilliant. They watch while you are doing the exercises and if they think you are getting too carried away the tell you slow down and remind you about pacing.

Is there another hospital you could be referred to?

I missed physio today due to exhaustion but tried to do some light exercises but the pain now is radiating all down my back and sending shooting pains into my foot. Too painful to lie down and too painful to sit so trying to half lean on my side trying to take pressure off my back.

I hope your GP can refer you back to physio, this time you might get a nicer physio. xx
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 25, 2012 12:18 am

Physio these days for fibro is mainly just teaching you exercises.

Approx 6 sessions then off you go :penguin:

It is of benefit if you can maintain these exercises regular BUT for me i am too severe and need hands on treatment as well which the NHS are reluctant in doing so i pay privatly.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Melbi_UK » Fri May 25, 2012 12:40 am

To me I think I do more exercise at home than I do at physio, I seem to be coping with the pain better and getting more done around the house. I walk to nursery 4 days a week to pick up my granddaughter, on Fridays I walk up for her then back down and go straight shopping with my mum. Touch wood I haven't had a flare up for at least 3 weeks. I have no choice but to fight the exhaustion and intense feelings of needing sleep, I gave in to it once last Saturday and slept on and off all day.

The pain is still strong and can reduce me to tears most days but for some reason I seem to be coping better now????

Will I continue with the exercises we do at physio after the sessions are complete? No! I don't have the time, The only day I get to spend at home is a Tuesday so use that day to do the washing and clean. I don't rush and can still be doing it past 7pm but that is what pacing is all about right?

Ah the pacing! That gets drummed into at every physio session, not always possible, certainly not possible for those who work and have young children.

I've actually been asked if I would complete a questionnaire to help research chronic pain and pacing. I don't think they will like my answers and certainly won't like my added message that the questionnaire didn't really involve people with fibromyalgia as they didn't want to know how you pace when sheer exhaustion hits you, how flare ups can happen after a certain acitivity yet not the next time.

Yet again I felt that they really weren't interested in fibro suffers nor considered them when composing the questionnaire. Mmm lol forgot why I am saying all tbhis now. Bedtime I think, been up since 6am and on the go all day arghhh!
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri May 25, 2012 1:02 am

Maybe the fact that you are managing to go and do things even if you've had to miss a few has helped you 'feel' better sometimes I think little steps forward give us a bit of a buzz and that helps us to cope a bit better, bit like the sun coming out after days of rain (if that makes sense)
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services