Doctors surgery have lost my test results. Rant.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Doctors surgery have lost my test results. Rant.

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 23, 2012 10:33 am

ARGH!!!!!

Was born with bladder problems which saw me in and out of hospital during my first 5 years of life. 19 years later and still having bladder probs (most like Overactive Bladder with stress, and urinary incontinence). Had my bladder scanned on Monday at a local Hospital. They made me wait ages afterwards and then gave me a hand addressed envelope addressed to my GP telling me to give it to my surgery and make an appointment asap to discuss with my GP.

I gave the Receptionist the envelope on Monday morning, she said my Dr wasn't available until Weds as he was on leave, but she'd give it to the Dr covering for him and that they'd sort it all out. So this morning my Mum queued up at the Drs from 8am to book me an appointment asap as they only open 8:30 -11am on Wednesdays. I saw the Dr and he hadn't received my test results so he went to chase with Reception.

They've lost them. They have no idea what the cover Dr has done with them. All they could say was to ring up on Monday to see if they'd been found.

I am so angry it's unreal. The first time in about a week shy of 24 years of bladder problems that anyone actually investigates the cause and now they've lost the results. The expletives in my head are unbelievable.

Fortunately my Dad's having an Endoscopy at the same ward my bladder scan was done at this lunchtime. So I'm going to ask them if they can make me another copy of the results today so I can queue up AGAIN tomorrow to make an appointment and give my GP the results direct. I resisted the urge on Monday to open the envelope, today I will open it and make copies of the results, just in case my surgery loses them again.

I needed to rant. I can't describe how angry I am.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: Doctors surgery have lost my test results. Rant.

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 am

My daughter has bladder problems too, all her life. Her bladder is too small. They have offered her an operation several times but they do warn you how risky it is so I refused when she was a child and she now refuses as an adult. She attends what we call the pee clinic(incontinence clinic) every 3 months to have her bladder scanned. She is on medication to control how much water she passes, in fact some days she will only go once despite drinking plenty.

I'm surprised they didn't continue assessing your bladder from childhood. :shock:

I hope you get it all sorted out very soon.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Apparently they very rarely scanned babies/toddlers/small children with bladder problems in the early 90s. Or rather, that's their excuse. All they did was tell my Mother I had Stunted Growth (not true, I'm 5"1, they said 4"9 max would be my adult height), that my nose would never bridge (it did) and that I would probably not manage to go to University (I graduated from a UK Top 10 Uni, ironically the Hospital that the Consultant who told my Mum that worked for was the Teaching Hospital for the University I went to lol).

I've got another copy of my results, they make no sense to me. Going to see the Dr on Friday. This time will take results to my GP direct!!

I have the opposite problem to your DD Melbi - I wee constantly. My record is every 15 mins for an hour. Usually it's once or twice an hour. I used to refuse to drink as a child as weeing hurt due to all the infections I got. But then the Dr told me I'd die, so now I can't stop myself drinking in case I die. Not really something to tell a 3 year old. I'm sure it's scarred me. They just kept sending me to Child Psychiatrists - they were convinced someone was doing something to scare me, hence the bedwetting etc. Eventually when I was about 9/10 a Psychiatrist just discharged me completely saying there was nothing wrong with my mental health, clearly there must be a physical cause for my bedwetting. But they didn't seem to have any idea what that would be :roll:

My GP said I might have an enlarged bladder, hence why I keep weeing as it stores more than goes out each time, so I need it again soon after.

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed May 23, 2012 5:13 pm

How strange I wet the bed until my teens and when I was young and referred to the hospital my mum was told I had an immature (small) bladder and it couldnt store much so when I drank I peed, so my drinks were restricted :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 7:13 pm

This is what happened to my daughter Denys.

Bladder was too small. She was born in 1991 and had her first scan at age 4 or 5 (can't quite remember) Anyway she had to have a drink before the scan, just like when you are in early pregnancy, When they scanned her the bladder was so full that they let her go to the loo straight away, incase of an accident. When she went back in they scanned again and already her bladder was filling and the person scanning her said her tummy was just full of water. She asked me if I had given her anything else to drink, which I hadn't.

The tablets she is on now are to stop her producing too much urine, hence why she only goes once a day sometimes. She still has to drink plenty but nothing with caffeine or wait for this, any dark coloured drinks. So no coke or blackcurrant etc.

We never got her out of pull ups until she was in her teens, they tried the alarm, lifting her in the night but like they said, nothing will work due to the size of her bladder.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 pm

To be honest I just think the Doctors thought I was developmentally delayed and couldn't be bothered. Then someone else suspected I was being abused, hence the Psychiatrists came in.

I'd like to say that as an adult I haven't wet the bed. But that would be a lie :oops: From the age of 14/15 though it got a lot better. And by 17 it was very occasionally, maybe once a month/every 2 months.

My Aunt wet the bed until she was 18. But she was beaten as a child, terrified of her Mother and so much so that she left the UK in the 50s and hasn't been back. Not even when her Mum died, not when her Dad died. She just hasn't seen her 5 siblings for decades. She took a job where she could vent her anger with a gun (Texas - she was the Deputy Sheriff) and she's not looked back. Frankly she's not in a good place mentally.

So I think maybe the Doctors thought something awful must be happening to me. I did have an operation on my genital area as a child, but that was to remove some sort of fusion of my labia :shock: . So you'd have thought they'd have checked my bladder out, this was back in '88 and I already had bladder probs.

But at least it's finally being checked out. 23 years and 11.5 months later :roll:

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 23, 2012 9:08 pm

ps: they restricted my drinks but I get dehydration headaches and I wee regardless of whether or not I've had much to drink

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Restricting your fluid intake is never a good idea, what were they thinking? This can lead to all sorts of problems and can be dangerous. Remember, we can go a lot longer without food than we can water!

I think they say our body is made up of 80% water - lol I'm probably completely wrong there but it rings a bell somewhere in my memory.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Oh well, I was close lol

Question: What Are the Elements in the Human Body?
Answer: Most of the human body is made up of water, H2O, with cells consisting of 65-90% water by weight. Therefore, it isn't surprising that most of a human body's mass is oxygen. Carbon, the basic unit for organic molecules, comes in second. 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of just six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthings ... ements.htm
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 23, 2012 10:59 pm

It was a 'no drink after 6pm' rule. Except that even at 6 years old my sleep was so bad I'd still be awake at midnight - long time to go without fluid.

I usually drink about 8 glasses of water a day, each just shy of a pint. Half a pint of OJ/Smoothie and 2-3 cups of tea which my Drs say is about how much an adult should have daily.

It's funny (in the weird sense, not the comedy sense) about restricting drink though. When I first got Fibro I worked for a company which was spread over 4 floors. Ladies loos on 1 and 3, mens on 2 and 4. During a flare up they did a refurb. Before I sat on the 3rd floor, v close to the loo. Then they took away the lift :( , moved everyone to the 4th floor, made the 4th floor loos for the workmen, put the 3rd floor loos for male staff, the 2nd floor out of action and the women had to traipse from the 4th floor to the 1st floor for the loo.

Bearing in mind I pee every hour at least, and was having every 15 min wee phase at the time. And with Fibro. Well the stairs were killing me. So my GP said they needed to switch the 1st floor loos to the men, and let the women use the 3rd floor ones (not unreasonable considering it had always been the ladies). They refused. So two days later I was getting worse and asked again.

Their response?

'M manages fine, and she's pregnant and if she can manage at 6 months pregnant and 30 something, you should be fine - you're only 22'

followed by

'have you tried not drinking?'

Yeah, I'll just sit there, in my telephone based role from 8:30 - 6 and 8:30 - 7:30 with no water...

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Thu May 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Well it got worse. Queued up from 8am to see the Doctor with Mum. My GP is called Dr R. When I asked to see him the Receptionist said 'oh he's not in today'. The same Receptionist the day before who had told my Mum that she could see Dr R tomorrow...

So I saw my back-up GP, Dr G. He looked at my results and basically it's not good. He said I'm most likely going to have to use a Catheter, my body just isn't able to empty my bladder properly and I have way too much urine in my bladder after using the loo. He's referring me to a female Uro Gynaecologist to have further tests done and to sort out a Catheter.

He reckons my Amitriptyline and my Tramadol could be making it worse, but I've had this for 23 years and 11.5 months. I'm not willing to come off my medication, it hasn't been worse recently. He took me off the ami's before and I felt worse than I have done in years. I love my amis. Without them I don't sleep.

My parents are fuming. They kept telling Drs years ago that I had a physical problem, not a Psychological one which made me wet myself. I understand why a Dr would assume a Psychological problem in the absence of any physical abnormality, but they never checked me out for it physically. Grr. I'm also fuming, as is my boyfriend.

There's always something else. Last time I saw Dr G he joked that my body is breaking down. I think he might be right!

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services