gp health referral/weight mgt programme

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

gp health referral/weight mgt programme

Postby animalhouse » Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 am

well yesterday went to 1st health referral session,

actually went last week for medical check up first that is apparently supposes to take 1/2 hr took 10 mins.

went back this week thinking i was on weight mgt programme. did a gym induction with the health referral expert.

treadmill - poor, had to be told to keep standing upright nearer bar i was holding onto and could feel it in my back. managed 5 mins i think on lowest spped holding my breath all the time to cope with the pain. everytime she came over and said ok do you want it speeded up or is this your ususal walking spped. yes it is naff off. gettting off was fun. said you will feel abit dizzy - no change there then.

reclining bike - hop on there she said brightly, could hardly lift my leg up high enough to get across middle bar to climb on, then started peddling thought it was ok then hit a brick wall. right start peddling just put it on easiest to start - i couldn't move it once she had plugged my key in, so not able to manage slowest level when machine turned on. let me free wheel for 5 mins anyway.

leg lifts up adn down, in and out - up was very difficult when weight was on your shins, but pressing down when it was behind was ok. my difficulty is being able to move my legs at all from hips. pushing legs out and in at hips was ok as hypermobile so didn;'t feel any use.

forget to ask when next session was so rang asking for weight mgt pro - need to get another form for that this was gym health referral. so costs me £2.10 per session (not free) and still not what wanted, load of info in book and how you can join after 12 weeks for special rate - looked on website and was same price as normal.

be careful seems health centres are using tis as a good way to recruit. have yet to get form for weight mgt bit so wld be another £2.10 for those sessions as well.
prefer swimming to be honest never been keen on actual gym - but was looking for advice on diet and weight loss support. see where it goes,

feel not too bad today back and hands hurt from holding equipment but legs ok.

take care.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Re: gp health referral/weight mgt programme

Postby denys » Thu May 24, 2012 11:47 am

I went to a lifestyle and weight management program run by NHS it was free and you had the opportunity to get a gym pass and those sessions were free too. I didnt take up the gym pass as it wasnt any use for me so I thnk it must be regional again :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: gp health referral/weight mgt programme

Postby animalhouse » Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm

i thought it would be free thats why i waited for gp referral.

but only concession of 2.10 for benefits instead of £3.70. might as well join ww or something.

will see what it is, not really fussed about gym.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services