How does your GP react?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How does your GP react?

Postby Melbi_UK » Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm

I read on here so often people saying get it checked by your GP or let your GP know your new symptom etc.

Do people report every symptom to their gp's? and how do they react?

I have so many different symptoms but have never mentioned them to my gp. Obviously the other week when I was having major non stop palpitations I went to see my gp, I mentioned it is probably only the fibro but he insisted on blood tests.

Other than that my gp only knows of the pain I experience and this is the only area that I receive meds for. And that is enough to contend with without more med for IBS etc.

Does your GP take on board your new symptoms? Record them? I'm just trying toimagine my gp if I went to him with all my new symptoms that can happen several times a week or month. Ear aches, sore throats, painful skin to touch, burning skin, severe headaches, just to mention a few.

I'm thinking now I should write all my symptoms down and pass them onto my gp, will he keep a record of them though? and will he take me seriously of diagnose me as a hypochondriac?

Is it necessary for your gp to know every symptom? Obviously if it involves the internal organs then it is important as fibromyalgia doesn't affect them so I'd be reporting something that isn't a symptom of fibromyalgia.

How important is it that I should inform my gp of all the symptoms related to fibromyalgia as I'm starting to worry that I might be neglecting things that could be non related?

Thanks for any advice offered x
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Re: How does your GP react?

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 am

Im finding myself in a simular situation.

My symptoms are as long as my arm and iv only (in 13yrs) managed to wade thro half of them :roll: BUT at the moment im a bit unstuck and need to see a GP as the symptoms iv *got on with* are now effecting me severely and need attention so back i go :penguin: again and again :penguin:

Luckily he wants me checked regulr for my ulcer so i slip in a few symptoms :lol: or i'd be there all night still :sleep:

My leg has decided to give up on me and go numb from knee up and i know for sure its NOT fibro BUT to get in with a shout of investigations i may have to wait for my physio to do an examination to *prove* i am right or the GP will not take it seriously as i find alot of problems go undiagnosed due to puttin it all down to fibro

I suffered an ulcer for years and was told the discomfort was costochondritis yet when i saw another GP he amazingly examined me and diagnosed an ulcer much to my GP's suprise :roll:

I have swolling problems thats getting worse yet iv not mentioned this but will have to soon... same with my eyes :roll: my list is still going strong 13 yrs later :crazy:

My GP would be out of business if i stopped going :lol: i see him more then m family! :yikes: yet i leave everything til last minute ! :shock: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Melbi_UK » Fri May 25, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks for that Lisa, do you know if he records all your symptoms or just listens with a sympathetic ear?
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri May 25, 2012 12:35 am

My GP records all the symptoms and checks them out, FM symptoms can mimic OR mask symptoms of other conditions and therefore it is important to seek advice for any new or worsening symptoms and not just put things down to fibro
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 25, 2012 12:37 am

Melbi_UK wrote:Thanks for that Lisa, do you know if he records all your symptoms or just listens with a sympathetic ear?

He is very good in that respect he does put everything down.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Andrew_Z » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 am

Before I first mentioned it I don't think my health centre had had any experience of FM. What worries me is that my practice nurses frequently forget to record and update my symptoms. And also what doesn't help is that our GP's insist they can only spare a few minutes, even if someone is bleeding to death. It's very frustrating to try and tell them about a problem when they just sit there staring at their watch. "Times up...out you go!"
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Andrew_Z wrote: And also what doesn't help is that our GP's insist they can only spare a few minutes, even if someone is bleeding to death. It's very frustrating to try and tell them about a problem when they just sit there staring at their watch. "Times up...out you go!"

Could you book a double length appt with your GP Andrew, give you a bit longer to go thru what you need/want to discuss?

Melbi, it's all too easy to assume that everything we feel/experience is purely down to FM, and as Denys has already said, FM can mimic other conditions, which is why we always make the suggestion/recommendation that something new/worsening/generally giving cause for concern is checked out. It's not a command or anything, it's simply a suggestion to help someone find the answer to something that may be bothering/worrying them.

My GP knows me now, and knows that when I come in to see him, I'll have my events and happenings written down with any questions that I think need answering. As to whether he writes everything down, all I do know is that he keeps the sheet I've taken in with me and it gets put into my file with the things we have discussed/dealt with highlighted/noted.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri May 25, 2012 7:21 pm

The first time I saw my GP about what I suspected was fibro, I had a typed list of all the symptoms I had had over 2 years. When I went back a few weeks later, I took him a new list of the ones I had forgotten first time round or new ones that had developed. He had them scanned and added to my notes. That way they're recorded without wasting his time inputting them or writing them down. I did the same for the various consultants I've seen, and it was a big help. I don't seem to be developing any new symptoms and I haven't seen my GP since January.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Melbi_UK » Sat May 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I have now written all my symptoms down but rather than bother the GP I have asked the receptionist to pass it on to him. I have written a little note explaining why I've done it and that I would like it to be recorded. I've also wrote that if I don't hear anything that I can assume all my symptoms are down to the fibro. I had blood tests a few weeks ago and everything was ok apart from the white blood cells being way too high which he phoned me about and between us decided as I don't feel like I have an infection then it must be the steroids causing the high reading.

I just feel that if I kept going to see my gp just to tell him I had this or that, I'd be wasting his time and a patients time if they have to wait for another appointment due to them being booked up on that day.

At the moment I'm bedridden after bragging on how well I was doing :oops: Can't walk at all and need help to go to the loo. Not good :cry:
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 am

I gave my GP yesterday an update on my fibro symptoms, quite a long list, and he accepted them as genuine and has updated my records. The only quibble he had was suggesting that my pain when walking was quite natural for anyone, but then agreed it hadn't happened before I got the fibro, and shouldn't be so severe. In any case I've just lost another half a stone, that's almost 8 stone I've lost without any kind of a diet, and that alone is still a mystery to the GP and hospital. I think it's due to my diabetes.
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services