An FM friendly Rheumatologist

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

An FM friendly Rheumatologist

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat May 26, 2012 7:12 pm

So, yesterday I had a follow up appointment with the rheumatologist I saw 3 months ago. Seems my X-rays and blood tests all came back normal (as expected) and they sent the results to my GP. News to me. Oh well. Anyway, we had a chat about FM in general and how things are with me, and basically she has referred me to a physio, "just in case there is anything they can suggest that you're not already doing, like helping you pace yourself better", and discharged me (which I am quite happy about). She tells me about 30% of the people she sees with FM show an improvement over a period of time after after initial diagnosis, and she's 99% sure I'll be one of the 30%. I am welcome to go back if I need her, I've just to tell my GP I want referring back, but she doesn't think she will see me again. She is very understanding and very pro-FM, she totally gets it, AND she not only gets my point of view on how I want to deal with it, she thinks its what will make the difference between living well with it and suffering from it. I am much encouraged.

I'm not sure if we are legally ok in naming medical professionals on here, so I won't, but the consultant is female and works at Chapel Allerton Hospital in Leeds. She expressed her dismay at how many medics in the UK refuse to believe in FM, and how stupid this attitude is. She's an absolute gem.

I thought I'd share this since so many people seem to have unhelpful medics.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: An FM friendly Rheumatologist

Postby shazq » Sat May 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Glad you got an understanding Rheumy, it does make a big difference :-D :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Brilliant news it does make such a difference being believed and being allowed to manage the condition yourself :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat May 26, 2012 9:48 pm

I've been lucky from the word go....GP gave preliminary diagnosis, referred to physio, neuro and rheumy who all agreed. NHS in Leeds appears to rock, at least where FM is concerned.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby JASPER 2005 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:26 pm

After being told by my GP and other doctors i'd RA after a 2nd appointment with my rheumatoligist he diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia . He explained all about it with me and gave me leaflets on it for me to read and show to my family he was helpful , he told me there was nothing else he could do but if i wanted referred back to him he'd gladly see me . My GP isnt as up to date on FB as my Rheumatoligist .
JASPER 2005
UKFM Member

Postby 2steps » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi,

Saw Toby Garrood last week at guys he's very good.
Not any local ruemys though only an anaethetist that has any fibro knowledge.

2steps
2steps
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services