are you depressed or not?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

are you depressed or not?

Postby lala1626 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:36 pm

when i go to the drs and i explain that i dont think i am coping with it all very well and am on the verge of tears most days, i am always told that im not depressed as i am able to smile about things. im not depressed about normal things in my llife im just depressed about everythig to do with having fibro, i see that i cant be half depressed and half not but i would like some help beig able to cope with it all!

does anyone else feel like this??
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Re: are you depressed or not?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Lauren, this linky may help you with your wonderings. There's a short testy thing to try as well to see if you may be depressed. It's a general thing just to give you an idea http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depression ... ction.aspx There's a lot more to depression than what the comment from your GP about you being able to still smile at things suggests.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lala1626 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:53 pm

thanks flupp il have a looky xx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby lala1626 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 pm

just done that test thing flupp and it said that i may have some form of depression and talk therapy and the right medication could help.
my gp has referred me for CBT so maybe that is the way to make me feel happier, who knows.

thnks for you help xx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:14 pm

:goodluck1: lala :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:03 am

No probs Lauren, been in a similar place to where you are and it's not nice. The earlier things can be done to try and help, the better it is.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Gremlins ate the rest of my post!!

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby sjc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:02 am

:-D hi there. This is something I struggle with, so I do understand where you come from. One person tells me I'm depressed, then another tells me I'm not because I'm too articulate and appear physically normally. From my understanding of depression, there is one type called masked depression - this depression affects people in the sense where you don't appear to be ill and some people don't know that they depressed. Everybody with depression is completly different and copes in their way, so what one person with depression may suffer will not be the same as the next depressed person. Also, some people with depression may be only mildly affected with their problem and suffer only a few symptoms. There is a chronic depression called dysthmia, where the person will suffer relatively mild to moderate symptons. It's only when depression is really severe that it becomes noticeable, and in rares, some people with severe depression are good at hiding their symptons. Have you ever discuss your feelings to your GP? Definately research depression. If you type in 'dsm depression diagnostic criteria' into google, you will be able to see how depression is assessed by the medical profession and what symptons you need to be depressed. Take care and all the best. Xxx
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby tentimes » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Having FB is a very tough thing to cope with mentally and even someone who was not prone to depression could well end up being depressed.

Whether you are depressed or not, I would encourage you to look for free counselling in your area. Normally there will be organisations (if you look for them locally) who can give you at least some sessions. At the very least these will help you strengthen yourself in the areas needed, learn to cope better with the illness and identify some of the hidden areas of your life that FB can effect without you noticing. I think of it as a way of someone helping me make myself stronger (I am also a non-practicing counsellor so probably biased lol)

If you are crying then that is a sign to me that you are finding it tough and could do with a helping hand (whether from a supportive friend or counsellor). We all need to cry or we would not be able to heal. We all need a little help sometimes too.

Good luck - you will get through this :)
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby tabithakat64 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:30 pm

I wouldn't say I'm depressed at all, it's just that coping with FM/M.E gets me down sometimes
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services