Medical notes wrong - Insurers refusing to pay out.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medical notes wrong - Insurers refusing to pay out.

Postby GarethR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:38 am

Hi,

I wonder if anybody has had the same problem as i am having at the moment? I have recently claimed on my Income Protection Policy, that i've had since 2004, due to my Fibromyalgia symptoms leaving me unable to carry on with my work. My symptoms got markedly worse last October and i have suffered Depression (for the first time ever) since December.

I agreed for my insurers to request a copy of my medical records from my GP. I then got a rather nasty telephone call from a lady at my insurance company informing me that the policy is void as i had not disclosed that i had had a course of antidepressants in 2003 and basically calling me a liar.

This was news to me! I have never taken antidepressants or been diagnosed with depression before, my wife has though, and so i contacted my Doctors Surgery and lo and behold, there is a record of me having been prescribed Citalopram 10mg for 5 months with a months gap inbetween. Nothing on my file about depression, no follow up appointments (repeat prescriptions were ordered over the telephone apparently), and no reports/referrals etc. as per the N.I.C.E guidelines. The only entry on that date was that i was 'Tired all the time' and was signed off work for two weeks................it later transpired that i was on the wrong asthma inhaler which was causing the tiredness back then. I DO remember going to the Doctors for the tiredness.

The only evidence my insurance company have got are these prescriptions. Hopefully it has been a genuine mistake or someone, somewhere is lining their pockets at my expense. I've spoken to my GP but he remained poker-faced throughout and just stands by what's written on my notes. Seems it's my word against his. My insurance company of course, are loving this :( :evil:

Thank you for reading

Gareth x
GarethR
UKFM Member

Re: Medical notes wrong - Insurers refusing to pay out.

Postby e777 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Gareth,

Can you check with your pharmacist? They probably have a record of the prescriptions that you have filled over the years, and you then would have proof for your doctor and the insurance company that their records are incorrect.
e777
UKFM Member

Postby sootybean56 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:29 am

hi ,i had a simliar problem regarding
medical notes stated i was receving no medication or any treatment
for my fibro, when in fact i had been for two years
this report has had a massive effect on my claim for dla
and was done by a doctor at practise whom i have seen once in
four years

only advice i can give is to make an appointment to see practise manager
and explain that there is inaccurate data on your medical notes and you would like them removed

doctors are responsible to practise managers

good luck x
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Postby GarethR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:31 am

Hi both, thank you for your replies. :-D

I've already checked with the local Health Authority regarding the prescription but the records are only kept back as far as 2006. I've requested a copy of my medical notes, just to check that there aren't any other irregularities.

Unfortunately the Practice Manager is my GP's Wife and i don't think she will be very sympathetic to my complaint.

I've explained to my insurers and the ball is in their court...............excuse the Wimbledon-Themed pun :crazy:

Hope you can sort your DLA out, it's so annoying and stressful having to fight.

Gareth x
GarethR
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:48 pm

HI I too have just had my medical report given to me by my doctor so I can give it as evidence for wrag to support group but when
I looked it over there where many things missing, and some thing not on it.
It truely is a disgrace that these things are not correct and its a wonder at times we are not given the wrong medication that
could cause very servere problems, I have to get myself in gear and talk to my gp practice about mine

Keep tracking things down and good luck

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby shazq » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi
Sorry i have never had to deal with insurers but hope you get it sorted out. :goodluck1:

Have to wrote for advice on Brain Barr`s topic on the forum, he is a solicitor here is the link.

viewforum.php?f=27
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby GarethR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi Lorraine, it really is awful and an added burden we don't need. Good luck with the GP, hope you get it sorted. :-D x

Shazq, thanks for the link, i will definately give Brian Barr a shout if Aviva don't accept what i'm saying is true.

Gareth x
GarethR
UKFM Member

Postby GarethR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:51 am

Hi All,

I've finally got hold of my Medical Notes. There is an entry on there that clearly refers to my Fathers treatment, written by the same nurse who alleges that i was 'fed up' and prescribed Citalopram (something i dispute entirely) :evil: :nono:

Out of interest has anybody else had another family members notes mixed-up with theirs? Or treatment they are sure they did not have?

It is worrying that these mistakes are only noticed when they need to be relied upon. In my case medical insurance, but it could affect any insurance/treatment/ benefit claim.

Thanks

Gareth
x
GarethR
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:51 am

Garth do you and your father have the same name ? My husband just got a message from the GP surgery to ring them urgently, instead of ringing he went down to ask what was wrong, it turned out they were looking for another person! It transpired that OH and this person shared the same first name and surname. Although my OH is know by his second name .

I would imagine it isn't something that happens on a daily basis but I think any surgery must have a few of these things happening when people share the same name . Although I imagine it was worse before they went onto computer and had to rely on the paper chart, from the dates you have given would that have been computer records or charts?. Is this something worth exploring?

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby bidge1969 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi we have a similar problem where the nurse has written on my wifes notes that she was a smoker ,this is entirely inaccurate we have been advised we can have the records appended and she must countersign this of course will be viewed by insurers as a case of non disclosure ,the doctor states the nurse wouldnt have written what she did if not mentioned it seems that the practice are covering their own backs whilst we suffer financially.
bidge1969
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services