Blue Badge medical assessment HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue Badge medical assessment HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby pugbear » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:40 am

Hi All
I have an appoinment on Monday to be assessed for eligibility for a Blue Badge....... Can anyone tell me what to expect??? I have to walk with a crutch now as i am in so much pain in my lower back and left hip, my quality of life could be dependant on a blue badge!! At the moment i get to work at the crack of dawn just to be able to park and be able to open my door wide othrwise i cannot get out of the car!! If i have to go to town/shopping etc i also get in and park hours before the shops open to make sure that i can park near where i need to go and can open my door!!!!
I am really worried about Mondays appoinment and would appreciate any help, guidance or support that anyone can give me..
Many thanks and gently hugs to all
Pugbear
pugbear
UKFM Member

Re: Blue Badge medical assessment HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:52 am

Hi,

I dont drive but my mum does and she takes me to appointments etc so i put in for a blue badge a few years back.

I had to go for a medical as the forms my GP printed off were not the up to date ones so they called me in.

The lady asked me what my disabilities were and how/why a blue badge would benefit me.

I was on low rate mobility which went for me and also it was my GP that backed me so all was ok she just needed info for the forms.

Its not like the DWP assessments.

Take any letters of evidence in regards to your mobility as bak up just in case :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby pugbear » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Lisa and Thanks
My concern is that i still manage to work fulltime (i don't know how some days!!) and therefore i am not on any disibility payments, i am concrned that due to this i will be turned down!!
I know there are a lot of people worse off than me and that at the moment i am fortunate enough to be fairly mobile; however my quality of life can be and is severly hampered by FMS/OA and i am afraid that whatever jobsworth i see will either not know anything about FMS and OA or will not empathise with sufferes.
Is the medical just a Q&A session or do they make you do physical activities? sorry to ask more questions but i am frustrated and worried...
Pugbear
pugbear
UKFM Member

Postby darkcyde » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:14 pm

I guess i was extremely lucky....i didnt have to attend a medical at all! in fact i applied online at 11am and had a phone call by 2pm asking for my £2 payment, and i dont (yet) get any DLA, nor am i (yet) in either group of the ESA! As i said, just lucky i guess!

I really dont think it'll be as intense as other medicals....afterall, there is no ongoing cost to them once the badge is assigned so its not like they have to account for anything.

finger crossed for you.....my blue badge has been a gift that i didnt realise how much i needed until i got it! good luck!
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi

I have had an assessment for my blue badge (which is my lifeline) and be cause i didn't fit nicely into their tick boxes the blue badge was declined despite me having it previously. So i appealed and they immediately overturned their decision within 2 days i had my renewed blue badge. I did put in my appeal how much the blue badge made to my life and my mental wellbeing. I also have crohn's disease which has never gone into remission so need access to spare clothes close by as i have frequent accidents. I explained when i need the toilet in reality i need to run but in theory thats impossible due to fm. My advice to you is to be totally honest about why you need a blue badge.. In the area that i live North Lincolnshire if you qualify for a blue badge you can also get a free rail and bus pass!! I hopefully won't have to be reassessed in the future as i now get HR mobility due to severe mobility problems but who knows they change the rules as they go along!!!

Good luck for monday and try not to worry!!!

Milly xx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:37 pm

pugbear wrote:Hi Lisa and Thanks
My concern is that i still manage to work fulltime (i don't know how some days!!) and therefore i am not on any disibility payments, i am concrned that due to this i will be turned down!!
I know there are a lot of people worse off than me and that at the moment i am fortunate enough to be fairly mobile; however my quality of life can be and is severly hampered by FMS/OA and i am afraid that whatever jobsworth i see will either not know anything about FMS and OA or will not empathise with sufferes.
Is the medical just a Q&A session or do they make you do physical activities? sorry to ask more questions but i am frustrated and worried...
Pugbear

Its not about whether you are able to work with the disabilities you have its whether you need it for your mobility issues. You can still apply for DLA even if you work so just a thought for you

My dad holds a blue badge and he works. Ok its not his mobility he has it for its for his diabetes as he needs to inject 4/5times a day and needs his insulin near by which he keeps in his car.

Its Q&A no physical examination

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby pugbear » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Just got back from medical assessment for my Blue Badge, it was mainly questions about how FMS and OA affects my day to day mobility...I only had to walk from one end of the room to the other (and it was a very small room) the assessor was a very lovely lady and told me that she had authorised my application YAY....so i should receive my Blue Badge in approx 10 days!!!
I am so relieved, i had worked myself up in to a bit of a state worrying about the assessment :( I am glad that that is one obstacle out of the way :-D
Pugbear
pugbear
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Fantastic news pugbear :welldone:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm

I am so pleased for you well done!!! I think will all the assessments, medicals and everything else we have to go through it really does cause unnecessary stress. Why should everything be a fight? It really made a difference to me going out and not going out, so i understand what a relief this is for you.

As Lisa says it could be worth you applying for DLA as it is irrelevant whether you work or not, you have nothing to lose.

Milly xx :-) :welldone: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby pugbear » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 am

Morning all
Thanks for the advice with reference DLA, i wasn't aware that i could claim if i was working, i wrongly assumed that it was for people that were unable to work!!! (I know, assumption is the mother of all f**k ups!!!!)
I have now downlaoded and completed the War and Peace application form..i tried to do the on-line form but i failed at the 1st page!!! it crashed and then wouldn't load blah blah...so had to resort to the wonderful (not) PDF application form!!
So i will be sending that off today, so those of you are able cross your fingers for me!!
Thanks again for the advice and the well wishes on being accepted for the blue badge, this really is a great forum and i don't know where i would be or how i would cope without it.
Pugbear :-D
pugbear
UKFM Member

Postby tarisahowe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Omg....had my blue badge assessment today....i have lupus and fb...i had gastrointroitis the past week..so this affected my already affected mobillty....i was asked some simple questions...asked to stand and cross my arms over my chest..then take a walk...bearing in mind i told the asseser i was poorly with a very sore stomach and piles...i estimate in total we walked around 20yards before i needed to stop...we then returned to the room...she then told me i couldnt walk far enough for her to assess me....WHAT? i thought that was the whole point of a blue badge...for people who have difficulty walking...she then told me i probably wouldnt be succesful and that i should sait for my dla decision....if id walked too far..i wouldnt of been eligable..it seems being ill and unable to walk far also makes me not eligable..i cant win with these people....help????
tarisahowe
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services