Bad news from my Doctor

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bad news from my Doctor

Postby paulyarwooduk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 am

I saw my doctor yesterday who listened to me reading my list of pains and ailments. I'd put up with them for years but enough was enough because I couldn't stand the pain any more. When I'd finished she said they're all related to my fibro and there is nothing that she can do to take my pains away. I almost burst into tears. I'd been through many grieving stages and up until my Doctor's appointment yesterday I was in the 'looking for answers' stage of grieving but now I feel as though I've slipped deep into the depression stage. It's something my Doctor also said she can't do anything about; I'm on 50mg of amitriptyline and she won't give me anything else. I've been so positive with everything since she told me about this several months ago but today I feel so alone, so isolated and it just feels as though no-one cares.
paulyarwooduk
UKFM Member

Re: Bad news from my Doctor

Postby jane.k » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 am

hi paul, so sorry that you are feeling so low. we all go through it. you are not alone, we are all here if you need to talk . i am also on 50mg of ami and i also take paracetomol and codeine, i find one of each helps. maybe a change of doctor might be the way to go? hugs to you, you are in my thoughts, jane
jane.k
UKFM Member

Postby yaz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Paul,

There is something your G.P can do and that is to refer you to your local pain clinic. G.P's are limited to what they can offer you but the sooner you get your name down on the waiting list the better. I've got my appt in Oct and am having to wait 10 months.
It can be very depressing as once you get a diagnosis you are literally dumped. Have you got a good support system? It is important that friends and family are there to support you, it can make a huge difference xhugs x
YAZ XXX

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss
yaz
UKFM Member

Postby busy mummy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 am

Paul its awful of your Doctor to just dismiss you like that.

I am super lucky in having a great GP who always listerns and does all she can to help.

Its a bit of an old chestnut, but, is there another doc u can see? If you ask at your surgery a second visit might just spur them in to taking you more seriously.

Till then, treat yourself like a china tea-pot and do what you can.

:hugs: Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby karen59 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

Hi Paul so sorry you're feeling so down but you're not alone. i went for my 6 monthly hospital appointment last week and although they are very understanding at the clinic they have told me basically there is nothing else they can do - I react badly to medication of any sort even paracetomol and they have said as I have now tried everything available there is no where else they can go with the meds - I did break down and cry - but hey ho had to pull myself together, which is not easy and vow this is not going to bet me.

I work full time and drive 1hr 15 mins each way every day - it kiills me but I have to keep going - when I get home from work I am usually go straight to bed during the week- not much of a life I know. I take paracetomol and a dihydrocodenine in the early evening as they effect me too much to take any other time because of the driving I do.

I have to be strong a push myself as my partner does not work due to ill health and if I don't work god knows how we would manage. My partner is understanding of my condition but I don't burden my family or friends with it.

They all call me Mrs Fine cause that's my answer to how are you - "I'm fine" even when I'm crying and screaming inside.

Chin up you can get life with this - I'm not for one minute saying it's easy but I know I have it and it's not going away so i am damned if it is going to ruin my life

:-D :-D :-D
karen59
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:52 am

Hi Paul, so sorry you are feeling down. I was diagnosed with Fibro earlier this year after 20 years of being ignored by doctors. I'm afraid we have to accept that there is little that can be done for this illness. I had never heard of Fibromyalgia till a different docter said he was going to refer me to Rheumatology to see if I had it. At the same time the consultant rheumatologist also told me I have Osteoarthritis. This on top of the fact that I already have an underactive thyroid, a heart problem, asthma, chronic reflux requiring daily medication or I cant eat anything, year round hayfever requiring 2 different tablets, an early menopause and vitamin D deficiency :crazy:

I am also on Amytriptyline 20mg per evening but not for pain as it had no effect when a previous doctor prescribed it for pain and my consultant said it doesnt usually help with fibro pain, I am on it to try and help me sleep. I can fall asleep easily, I just cant stay asleep and wake several times every night leaving me exhausted during the day. I cant actually take anything for the pain as I am allergic to paracetamol and codeine and ibuprofen has now been linked to heart problems as well as stomach problems so I just have to put up with the pain.

I am very lucky as I dont suffer from depression. My outlook on life is one of just getting on with it as I have a lot of things relying on me. I still have two children at home but I also have 2 dogs, 5 cats, 3 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 2 pigeons, 1 hamster and tropical fish to look after. I know it is hard to get motivated when you are in pain all the time specially if you have no dependants. I make myself do things even though I know I will suffer the next day or day after because this damn disease is not going to rule my life and stop me doing what I want to do. I got married on Saturday (I'm 54 by the way ;-) ) and was on my feet for nigh on 12 hrs. The next three days were spent in excrutiating pain in my hips, knees, feet and back but bloody hell it was worth it. You really have to kick this thing in the teeth and say I'm not going to let it rule my life (even though to a degree it does), I'm going to do things I want to (just allow a few days after for recovery), you only have one life hun, dont let this ruin it for you. I know its hard, I have NO pain relief, but its MY life not fibro's, and it will not win this fight :shooting:
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby noclue » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 am

As others have said above, get your gp to send you to the pain clinic.

It takes awhile to get appointments though. I finally got to go and am now on 450mg of pregabalin, 20mg citalopram and 40mg amitriptyline. Also booked in for 4 acupuncture sessions and got referred to a neurologist who has sent me for loads of MRIs and booking me in for physio.
If your getting depressed, etc, as well, ask about CBT and look up The Expert Patient courses.

cheers
Ross
noclue
UKFM Newbie

Postby paulyarwooduk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for your support :-) I have a loving family and wonderful friends but sometimes people are very blinkered that they can't understand. My closest friend (and house-mate) is an absolute God-send but he's a coach driver and his working hours aren't very sociable so I don't get to see him often. It's the times when I'm alone that are worse.

I, too, have to work full-time and I walk for 30 minutes to get to a train station that will take me to work and then I walk another 15 minutes to the office...and then the same in reverse. It doesn't sound like much but it's hard particularly on days like today.

I've just had a telephone conversation with my Doctor; I have some 'Positive Mental Thinking' MP3's to download to help with, er, thinking positively I guess! LOL. It's about relieving or removing the stress; dealing with it rather than allow it to affect me and then go in to pain. She also said my local hospital has a hydrotherapy unit and something else that I forget now (sorry) but she will get me an appointment. Thanks for your help; sometimes my brain doesn't want to work so reasoning these things through can be hard :-D

Thanks again
Paul x
paulyarwooduk
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

Quote ; I've just had a telephone conversation with my Doctor; I have some 'Positive Mental Thinking' MP3's to download to help with, er, thinking positively I guess! LOL. It's about relieving or removing the stress; dealing with it rather than allow it to affect me and then go in to pain. She also said my local hospital has a hydrotherapy unit and something else that I forget now (sorry) but she will get me an appointment. Thanks for your help; sometimes my brain doesn't want to work so reasoning these things through can be hard ;

This is fantastic. Stress makes my fibro much worse so I try to avoid it at all costs, difficult when I've just been arranging a wedding though lol. I did hydrotherapy but he said to ask my consultant to refer me for the gym when I see her in Oct as I have upper body weakness. Holding a hairdryer and brushing my teeth make my shoulder and arm ache. She probably said Occupational Therapy. They help you manage your time and help you to not do too much in one go etc. I was told to do stuff for 20 mins then have 20 mins break so I dont get too exhausted.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby karen59 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

We don't need stress so try to eliminate it and most things we stress about aren't really that important and even if they are stressing doesn't change anything only makes us feel worse..............as fatalrazkaz as said managing your time is very important - if I have a shower and dry my hair I have to rest for an hour at least afterwards - one thing is we become good planners

Keep smiling we are all here to support you
:-D :-)
karen59
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:54 pm

There are lots of options and for your GP to say this then you would have tried them all?

There are therapys available like CBT in chronic pain or chronic pain management classes. There is physiotherapy and pain clinic.

There just a few i can think of.

I hope the hydrotherapy will be of benefit to you it does help but to make it long lasting you need to keep up the sessions but NHS only fund a few so you may want to see about private sessions if you feel its helping.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm with Lisa on what is available to try and help manage FM, so I can't understand why your GP is saying there isn't anything else that can be done :-? :-? :-?

There are various meds that can be used in numerous combos to try and ease things, this linky tells you more about them http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx

Depression is a known associated problem with FM, not sure which one comes first, but they like to hold hands and stick together. This can be managed tho, with meds, talking therapies or a combo of both. It's not unusual for us to be taking 2 anti~ds, one for sleep/pain and te other to help with depression, anxiety etc.

You can use wheaty bags that are heated in the microwave to help ease things, TENs machines can help, as can a good old hotty botty, or a soak in a warm bath.

It sounds like you need to go back to your GP with info about possible other treatments and see what they have to say. If they're still dismissive/unhelpful, then seeing a different GP may be something you need to consider.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jip » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi paul... not all docs are up to speed with fibro...theres been lots of good advice in the other posts...after years of suffereing Iv had 4 acceptable?? years on ketoprofen and swimming when i can or cant at least once a week just for half an hour....no other Nsaids were any good only ketoprofen and no other exercise....but we all different.

jip
jip
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services