loss of memory

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

loss of memory

Postby cnedra73 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi everyone, I understand we a have problems with our memory but over the last few months my memory has been getting worse. I'm forgetting simple words when I'm talking. Such as asking for a drink out of the fridge, I can't remember the word fridge. I can visualise the object but can't remember the word. I'll walk into a room and not know why I'm there, forget whole conversations only five minutes ago. My doctor has referred me to the memory clinic. Is anybody else having the same problems. I'm trying to find out if this is normal for fibro or something different? :crazy:
cnedra73
UKFM Member

Re: loss of memory

Postby TATT » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi cnedra,

When I was working and stressed that's when my fibro fog was bad. I would forget what I was thinking. Say like normally looking in the wardrobe would connect me to what I am looking for but not on a fibro fog day.

I would find that someone would be talking to me and my brain would zoom out take a nap and come back, I would think oh s..t I am in a conversation here. I used the wrong words and like you could not find the most simplest.

I still have these days but not like I did when stressed. For me physical or emotional stress causes my brain to dry up. Hope this helps x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi
Memory problems are common with fibro, i am often getting words mixed up or forgetting what items are called, i get tongue tied when talking or forget what i wanted to say mid sentence. :facepalm:

I cant seem to concentrate on anything for to long either & forget what someone has told me 5 mins later.
I forget how to spell words, i put things in the wrong place.....the list goes on :facepalm:

I got to the stage where it did start to scare me so i went to see my Gp about it but he told me it happens to everyone. :roll: :dunno: but i am going to mention it again when i next see him.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 am

I do this too but if the problem is getting worse then go and get it checked out by your GP never just assume that any symptom is down to fibro
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Joolz1968 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:23 pm

I overdose sometimes because I forget that I have already taken tablets . My memory seems to be worse in the morning . I am always forgetting err err oh yes ' words ' ;-) especially nouns . Worse when Im stressed
Joolz1968
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Joolz maybe you need to consider finding a way to stop "overdosing". A lot of us use pill organizer boxes to take meds regularly as well as using reminder alarms on phones.

Sent from a pinkified FluppyFone!!!

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Joolz1968 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Tried one of those boxes but always forget where I have put it and then get some more pills out of the medical box the tablets come in .. then I find the box again and think I havn't taken the tablets .. it's only after counting all my tablets out do I know what I have done . I am a nightmare I know . But I will admit to actually feeling a little better during those ' accidents ' . I have informed the doctor but she said she can't up my meds any more as I am on maximum dose .
I only do it rarely so don't panic . I was only try to give an example of how bad this memory loss thing can be . :-D
Joolz1968
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi

I was worried when I started to forget words and then it progressed to me being unable to understand words i'd written down then unable to understand people when they were talking to me and then I went out and forgot where I lived ! that was the scariest moment and I went to my GP. I was told later by my consultant that as my body was in so much pain the part of the brain that dealt with pain couldnt cope and had therefore pinched a part of my cognitive area of brain to help it cope with the pain. The result was problems with memory etc. I was assured that once the pain was under more control it should improve. At least I knew I wasnt going mad.

It helped me alot as I was so worried I had something else wrong.

So dont worry to much its just another thing we have to cope with.

:crazy: :crazy:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby cnedra73 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm getting a bit fed up with everything being put down to the fibro. Lately the pain in my side has been horrendous, the doc thinks its diverticulitis. When I went in again to tell him about a flare up he examined my side and decided the pain was from my ribs. They where very tender when he pressed on them and the only explanation was my fibro. Oh well feel like this :scream-1: but I think I will just :sleep:
cnedra73
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 am

my brain is scary at times.

even when i am taking my meds, i get some out of the satchet and if i put them straight in my mouth i forget which ones i just got.

so the other day i tried to lay them all out on a surface, then put them into my mouth - realised my water had ran out so i went to the bathroom.

went to the loo instread and realised i still had the pills in my mouth and had forget to swallow them or get a drink of water. and had dry pils making me gag in my mouth.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby coz1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:34 am

diane1
what a lovely doctor you have! my memory is getting really bad,i work alittle behind a bar and i forget what regulars normally drink,there names and even turn to the till and forget what im ringing in,its got that bad the lads even give me a round of applaus :clap: :oops: r when i get it right,it was funny at first but now im going to have to give up that job as its upsetting me when i cant speak properly.i think i should mention it to my doctor and hope hes as understanding as yours was. :fingerscrossed:
coz1
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services