Arthritis UK helping fibromyalgia

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Arthritis UK helping fibromyalgia

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am

A fellow fibro friend of mine visited a GP from his surgery, one whom he had never seen before.

This GP told him that he had over 20yrs of fibro experience (wonders why he had not been forwarded to him sooner?)

The GP says he has information from the Arthritis UK which he swears on for his knowledge & pain mangement for fibro sufferers.

He printed off these forms for GP's only (to his decresion)

I have been reading thro this and i must say it is a great piece of information.

Apparently all GP's have this :-D

Heres a website linky from the arthritis UK http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... tAodYzcAAQ

Its good to see other organisations are helping us.

I cannot type out everything thats in this form but will do a little...

recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia

General

Full understanding of fibromyalgia requires comprehensive assessment of pain, function and psychosocial context. Fibro should be recognised as a complex and hetrogeneous condition where there is abnormal pain processing and other secondary features.

Optimal treatment requires a multidisciplinary approach with a combination of non-pharmacological and pharmcological treatment modalities tailored according to pain intensity, function, associated features such as depression, fatigue and sleep disturbances in discussion with the patient.

Non pharmacological management

*Heated pool treatment with or without exercise is effective
*Individual tailored exercise programmes including aeorbics :shock: and strength training can be beneficial to some patients
*CBT cognitive behavioural therapy
*Other therapies such as relaxation, rehabilitation,pysiotherapy and psychological support maybe used depending on the needs of the patient

Pharmacological management

*Tramadol
*Simple analgesics such as paracetamol and other weak opiods can also be considered. Corticosteriods and strong opiods are NOT recommended.
*Antidepressents : Amitriptyline/fluxitine/duloxitine/milnacipran/moclobemide and pirlindole reduce pain and often improve function, therefore they are recommended
*tropisetron,pramipexole and pregablin reduce pain and are recommended for treatment in fibromyalgia

So there you have it a little insite to the doctors information they should all have.

Hope this helps
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Arthritis UK helping fibromyalgia

Postby denys » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks Lisa makes you wonder why so many dont follow their own info (or believe it either!!!)
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:34 am

i was thinking the same! i suppose some doctors put it to the side for shredding :crazy: it all depends on the GP to whether they take all this on board or work out there own plans :dunno:

So for anyone strugglin with there GP it maybe worth asking if they have any information from the arthritis UK for guidence.

:fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for this Lisa, maybe the next thing from Arthritis Research will be about what a patient needs to do to get their GP onside :-? :-? Maybe use the info sheet to waft info in thru their nose and ears and things :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Interesting post Lisa. :-D
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tabithakat64 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:04 am

Interesting post :)
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services