Pain Managment Bullies

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Managment Bullies

Postby mizk » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Im interested to see if anyone else feels like they have been bullied by pain management people.
I was referred to pain management a year or so ago at the first appointments they were ok they gave me trigger point injects the guy who did them was lovely and the injects reduced my pain massively.

When i went back for the follow up the person seeing me started going on about the pain management group which i was told was 3 hours a week for 6 weeks in a place that would take me 3 buses to get to. Im a full time student so i declined the offer of going on it as it was on a day when i am at college and would mean taking a whole day out which i could not afford to do.

I had a couple more sets of trigger point injections and after the third appointment the person doing the follow up said that i would not be allowed any more trigger point injections because they are the easy option ( im needle phobic 6 needles in my back is not easy). They then tried to push me into the pain management program by threatening to discharge me without anymore treatment . I said no but agreed to acupuncture which was a complete failure it did nothing for me other than waste mine and my partners time and cause me a lot of unnecessary stress.

When i told them it had not helped at the follow up they then tried to bully me into the pain management group by threatening to refuse me any more treatment . Threatening is exactly what it felt like i felt very intimidated by the way they were behaving towards me.

After the trigger point i had in Jan this year i had 3 appointments all of which were spent with the individual trying to force me into the pain management group or into 1-1 sessions every week despite me explaining that i am at college 3 days a week and that i work 3 days a week with only Sunday as my day off which makes the sessions or the program nut just impractical for me but impossible.

They have finally followed through with their threat I got a letter earlier this week saying that they have discharged me as a patient and basically said its because i refused to attend the program (because i couldnt). After this experience i wont bother getting referred again . Last time it took me 13 weeks to get an appointment after being refereed (they say it should take no longer than 3 weeks)
The whole experience of Pain Management solutions has completely put me off i went to them hoping to get some help and all i got was bullied and threatend with no treatment. I know they have targets and restrictions put on them but it still seems wrong to me.
Has anyone else had a similar experience with pain management solutions?
Last edited by denys on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made paragraphs smaller to make it easier to read
mizk
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Managment Bullies

Postby denys » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 am

Sorry no I havent been through anything like you have described have you complained to PALS??? Maybe talk to your doc as well it seems unfair to penalise you because you are unable to attend a program that is on a set day
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mizk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:53 am

I feel a bit silly but i don't know what PALS is :/
mizk
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Patient advice and liason service try this link which should take you to the NHS site about them http://www.pals.nhs.uk/ :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Sorry i have not been to pain management either but agree with Denys complain about it. :goodluck1:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby mizk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Thank you :-D
mizk
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi

I sort of went through something like this when I was sent to a pain management clinic assesment to see if I qualifide to attend
when they decided I could I was told it was 4 days a week and I HAD to do swimming on the friday
now I had told them I had poblems dressing etc but this didnt seem to bother them and the fact that it was 4 days a week after a 30 mile travel to get there!!

Needless to say I didnt go but I did feel bullied when they told me what it all entailed and after I had told them what I could and couldnt do they didnt seem botherd just told me I would join in doing exercises and listening to long lectures

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby Northernanne » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 am

Hi, I can understand how you feel. I have telephone appointments with my clinic as it is 125 miles each way to go and see them!!!! Anyway, I had a telephone appointment this week but on Sun we had a bad thunder storm and lighting struck the telephone lines, our phone line went down for 4 days, don't know how but we still had very slow broadband!!! The phone line just showed constantly engaged to anyone trying to ring.

Phoned yesterday for another appoint which they gave for next week but, this morning I got a letter saying I was discharged from the service as when they tried to ring it was just constantly engaged. phoned then they said just ignore as they have given another appoint they normally discharge after missing 1 appointment!!!!!!!!

Never missed one before so was shocked to find out.

The health service is going to pot, its a shame as the service is really good when you can get it.
Northernanne
UKFM Member

Postby mizk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm

That is horrible Northernanne i don't understand how they can justify it when they do things like that :(
mizk
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services