Have to have another MRI so scared

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Have to have another MRI so scared

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi all

I am really at my wits end!! I went for an MRI on the 7th August which was awful as i had to be in the scanner for 55 mins in total, i had mri of Spine cervical, spine thoracic and spine lumbar and sacral. Because of the area's being scanned meant i was right in the centre for a long time, i get very claustophobic and they had to bring me out 3 times. I knew i had to have it done so closed my eyes and accepted it though i was absoloutly terrified. I was so pleased when it was over and vowed that i would never have one done like this again!!! Yesterday i received an appointment for another MRI for sat 1st september for exactly the same area's i had scanned on the 7th august!! I wasn't too worried as i called the hospital, i just assumed they had made a mistake and that this was a duplicate appointment. Only to be told that they needed to repeat the MRI to allow my consultant to make a diagnosis. I know i kept very still when i previously had it done in order to prevent this in fact i was rigid. I am absoloutly terrified about having to have this done again and very scared of what they are looking at. MRI's are very expensive so i know it is out of the ordinary for them to have to repeat it which is worrying, i know i dont have much option as i need to know why i am in so much pain and get numbness in my left leg without warning, but that doesnt help my fear of having another MRI.

I told the nurse that i was terrified about having this done again but her response was they needed to do this in order for a diagnosis to be made. I have had MRI scans before and although i wasn't keen i coped because i wasnt in the centre of the tunnel and was able to see out at one end which helped me cope with it. But this one was awful and although i will have it done i am dreading it, in fact i am crying as i type in anticipation of whats to come. I was diagnosed with fibro 12 months ago and i am now terrified about what they may have found as i am fully aware that fibro doesnt show up on any tests including MRI. Has anyone else gone through this a 2nd time and can anyone suggest any coping tips for the MRI. What does worry me is i have close relatives with MS, i suppose i am looking at the worst but my whole mind and life are in turmoil, i live on my own and dont say too much to my family and friends as i dont want to worry anyone until there is a need to worry.

Its just not fair, the last abdominal MRI i had done showed up an ovarian cyst and kidney stones and yet i had the scan done due to my crohn's disease!!! I just feel that i go in with one thing and come out with 3 issues. Sorry about the ramble but i am beside myself with worry!!!

Milly :( xx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: Have to have another MRI so scared

Postby shazq » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi Milly

Try not to worry Milly :hugs: I know its easier said than done but sometimes the scans dont show a clear enough picture so have to be repeated.
Hopefully they wont have to repeat the whole lot so you wont be in it so long. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Cariad84 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Milly I am so sorry to hear you are upset and having to go through what is a very traumatic procedure for you again. I'm afraid that I cannot offer you any advice as I have only had one MRI, I was in the centre for that one, the only way I got through it was to close my eyes and try to think of other things. I will keep my :fingerscrossed: for you but I am sure that it is just what shazq said. I can understand why you would worry, its a natural reaction especially when MS is in your family. I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry too much or you will flare I am sending you :hugs: :goodluck2:
You aren't alone and though you don't want to worry your family you always have the forum to come and talk to someone. Cariad 84
Cariad84
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi Milly go and see your doc see if they can give you something to relax you a little bit before the scan I know its hard but you have to go through with it for a diagnosis maybe something wasnt clear on the last scan and they just need to check to be sure. Can you have music on while in the scanner, I was allowed and it did help :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby difly » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:32 pm

hi milly try not to worry
I have an idea what you are goin through , i had a second mri with contrast dye 3 weeks ago and still waiting the r for results and have been worrying since then. spent most of the time in the scanner with my eys shut and countin the mins away Denys suggestion sounds worth tryin speak to your gp and ask them for something to help you to relax take care xxxx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby Graciebaby » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Milly,
I know how scared you are, I was too. In fact you have my admiration because you spent 50 mins in a scanner and got through it.
I knew I wouldn't be able to get in the scanner, let alone stay in it.

I went to my GP before the scan and asked for something to calm me down so that the scan could be done. I was prescribed 10mg of diazepam, 5mg to be taken one hour before the scan and the other 5mg to be taken just before going into the machine.
It really helped, in fact I wouldn't have had the scan done without it. I was in the scanner for about 45 mins.
I kept my eyes closed all the way through it even so!
A couple of days after my scan, I had a phone call to ask me to attend for another scan on my brain with contrast dye. As you can imagine, that really made me panic.

Again I asked my GP for diazepam and I was able to get through the scan. Please think about doing this as it helped me enormously.

Try not to worry about MS, despite having family members who are sufferers.
Both my sister and cousin suffer from MS and I did wonder if that's what might be found, but the scan didn't show it.

I think that sometimes we imagine the worst case scenario in order to try to prepare ourselves in case it's bad news and we put the fear of God into ourselves! Things are very rarely as bad as we imagine.
It may be that your first scan images were not clear enough and they need to be repeated.

Try to calm down sweetheart and go and see your GP for some meds for the procedure and also for a bit of reassurance.
Take good care and make sure you post again to tell us how you get on.

G, x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 am

Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies, i will take the advice and talk to my gp. I am prescribed diazepam 2mg that i take when i get irritable legs so it may be worth taking that before my next MRI. I wish i could get it out of my mind its the 1st thing i think about when i wake and its there when i go to bed. I know i have to have it done and will do everything in my power to try and stay calm. The only way i could deal with the last mri was to close my eyes before i went in, they did put headphones on and play music but because the mri is so noisy i could barely hear the music at all. I dont know about anyone else but i got very hot whilst in there which i know was down to fibro and because i had got myself worked up into a right state. I have to drive myself there so i am not sure if i will be able to take the diazepam as normally i only need to take it during the night. I will be so pleased once this is over and i cant thank you all enough for your support with this. I dont know if i will be allowed to take my mp3 player in with me as i have some relaxation music on it, i have been falling asleep with this to try and calm myself at least it helps me get to sleep.

In fairness i am sure there is some problem with my neck for the last 6months or so i have noticed when i turn my neck into a certain postion there is an almighty crack!! Even my dad has heard this and he is very deaf but it has worried me for some time now, has anyone else had this crtacking noise in their neck?

Millyxx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:58 am

I creak and crack all the time Milly, is there no-one who can drive you there???? even a friend or neighbour just so that you can take the meds :fingerscrossed: :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

Hi all

I have had my second mri and it wasnt too bad i wasnt in the scanner as long as i was previously!!!! I did it without having to take any sedation, i was so proud of myself so thank you for all of your support!!! I have since been referred to a neurosurgeon as several discs in the thoracix region are bulging and pressing on a major nerve so major surgery is now on the cards which i am dreading but if it reduces my back pain it will be worth it!! I have been told if i get any breathing problems, numbness or incontinance i need to get immediate medical assistance. Its something to do with the nerve that is being squashed. This also explains why my left leg goes numb without warning, the breathlessness i have been experiencing and i have bowel leakage which i had blamed on the crohn's disease. Its good advice from other forum members and mods to get advice about new symptoms as in my case its not always down to the fibro, i am so pleased i persevered with the mri etc as it could have been a very different story. I am dreading surgery but i have been told it will be sooner rather than later because of the symptoms i already have so at least i will get it over and done with.

Once again thank you all for your support and i will keep you updated regarding surgery, i feel quite calm right now, just pleased they have found it before its too late, but when i get a date for the operation i am sure i will be terrified!!!!

Milly xxx :-)
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 am

Just to add to my previous post has anyone else ended with the same outcome as me? I know the fibro will always be there but i am hoping that i will be in much less pain after surgery!!

Millyxx :-)
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 am

:welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: with getting thru the scan without needing sedation :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sadly not much advice from me about the surgery I'm afraid, but I can provide plenty of :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: for it not taking too long for your date to come thru :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Graciebaby » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Well done for getting through the scan!
I hope your surgery date comes through quickly and the procedure really helps to improve your life.

Take care,

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services