A years waiting list!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A years waiting list!

Postby countyfan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Finally saw spinal surgeon last week and told him that I had at last decided I needed to have the cervical spinal op, that he had suggested me needing, on my last visit to see him. I was prepared to be told the waiting list was going to be some months but when he said it would be a year, I was totally shocked. I know have been reluctant in agreeing to have the op but wish I had told him sooner, as now the pain and numbness has got really bad and the thought of waiting another year is getting me down. A colleague suggested I see about going private and I was wondering if anyone has experience of spinal operations being done privately.

Hope some of you can advise me,

countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: A years waiting list!

Postby masonsbarms » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:20 am

hi i dont know much about it but could you go on a short notice list in case they have a cancelation it sometimes cuts down the wait.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 am

I was going to make the same sort of suggestion that MB has come up with. Try to find where abouts you are on the list then see if you could go onto short notice/cancellations list. Depending on the severity of your problems, you might find it gets things done a bit more quickly for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 am

Don't give up hope,

After my GP suggsted I went to see a Rhumey as she thought I had FM I used a scheme from work to see someone privatly as I was told by the NHS constultants secretary that it could be up to a year before I was seen at an NHS clinic

No sooner had I seen the private consultant when I got an appointment to see someone in the NHS under the waiting list initiative. Basically this means that if wating lists are too long the NHS pay for a private consultant to take on board NHS patients. You get it on the NHS but are seen at a private facility and by private consultants etc . You then stay with the private guy for the duration of your treatment.

Alternativly as others have suggested contact your surgeons secretary and suggest that you would be willing to be seen at short notice, sometimes when other people cancel it is at short notice and rather than waste a slot they will contact people who have indiacted that they are willing to come in at very short notice (sometime 24-48 hrs ). That way you get your surgery much quicker and the NHS don't pay for a slot not used so everyone is in a win -win situation .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services