Social services are MAKING me take a bath!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Social services are MAKING me take a bath!!

Postby pixiecat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm

I asked Social Services back in June if I could have help with showering to give my OH time off and for a bit of privacy, self esstime for myself, well I got a visit on wednesday.

the lady went up to the bathroom to see how I shower, OH lifts me into bath and washes my hair, I can just about manage the rest (personal bits) then he lifts me out, she checked the toilet as its a seperate room and gave me a rail around to help sit down, as raising the loo seat mean I need a parachute to get off :lol: and in the bedroom a rail on the bed to turn over and get up to give OH a rest from this.

Now we discussed wether I bathed or showered and I said shower I havent had a bath in years I cant sit down and sit up so she said she would get me a chair that swivels and OH only has to lift my legs over, simples we all said :-? it all arrived today, but the bath chair wont fit on the bath, the bath sides are too narrow !!!!!! and the man said all the chairs are the same.
So i rang to tell her this and she rang back to tell me that I now HAVE TO HAVE A BATH because the only other thing they will give me at the moment is a chair lift thingy that goes up and down into the bath, regardless of the fact I cannot sit in the bath properly.

So now I am on a waiting list for an item I dont want and probably wont use. It has put me back to square one and feeling helpless and hopeless, not sure what to do now? :-| :-?

Lorraine
pixiecat

Re: Social services are MAKING me take a bath!!

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 am

You are in your rights to cancel the item coming.

She cannot dictate to you what you have to do, as you know whats best.

Maybe speak to another person to see if they can help or at least understand your situation?

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby pixiecat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:40 am

My OH is going to ring on monday and tell her I cannot take a bath, I havent had one in years, its just when they tell you you are
stumped on what to say but he is good at this explaining.

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby sweetleaf2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 pm

You can use this chair to shower, surely? My bath chair is on order at the moment, but the OT who put the request in told me it was to aid me in and out of the tub, and reclines if you choose to have a bath but is just as useful for showering.

Perhaps it would be worth while to wait and see what arrives rather than cancelling? You never know, it could be just the ticket. :-)
Of course its your decision, but bear in mind, you dont have to keep what arrives, you can always send it back!
I`m not over the hill I`m still climbing it, thats why I`m so tired all the time
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby PoppyPenny » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I have just had a bath lift fitted in my bath. It is marvelous!! I haven't been able to have a bath for years either and I do prefer a bath. The bath lift has flaps on each side of the seat which mean you can slide on to the seat easily. Then hubby lifts my legs over the side. There is a control to lower and raise the chair and the flaps bend up to fit the bath as you lower and open again as you come up again. Bliss!! To be able to sit in water again! To soak my feet!! Heaven! The back of the chair lies back to fit the bath as you lower and, if you really cannot sit up there are places to fix straps.

As has been said, you can use this seat to shower as well. Don't cancel it. They are good bath lifts and actually cost a lot of money. Your OT is not palming you off with unsuitable aids. This is perfect. Your husband won't have to lift you in and out any more. Think of his back. Even if you are a very light person lifting someone into a bath is not good for backs! I used to be a nurse and we wouldn't have been allowed to lift anyone anywhere! Enjoy it!

Maggie x
PoppyPenny
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 pm

PoppyPenny wrote:I have just had a bath lift fitted in my bath. It is marvelous!! I haven't been able to have a bath for years either and I do prefer a bath. The bath lift has flaps on each side of the seat which mean you can slide on to the seat easily. Then hubby lifts my legs over the side. There is a control to lower and raise the chair and the flaps bend up to fit the bath as you lower and open again as you come up again. Bliss!! To be able to sit in water again! To soak my feet!! Heaven! The back of the chair lies back to fit the bath as you lower and, if you really cannot sit up there are places to fix straps.

As has been said, you can use this seat to shower as well. Don't cancel it. They are good bath lifts and actually cost a lot of money. Your OT is not palming you off with unsuitable aids. This is perfect. Your husband won't have to lift you in and out any more. Think of his back. Even if you are a very light person lifting someone into a bath is not good for backs! I used to be a nurse and we wouldn't have been allowed to lift anyone anywhere! Enjoy it!

Maggie x

Sounds like heaven Maggie :lol:
I do miss my bath, i have a walk in shower fitted with a seat.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby jom2774 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

I am really sorry, I have just noticed this. I do not know whether this has now been sorted but could be advice for anyone. I am a social worker for physical disabilities as well as having fibro. If you cannot do a full strip wash or manage personal care needs and dressing you would be classed as substantial need and would meet most local authorities criteria, check on website.
A year ago after a major flare, I needed assistance. I also not been able to get in the bath myself. I have a board across the bath, which I can sit on. Need someone to move my legs in and help with parts I cannot do and also wash my hair and help with clothing.
If you want to give your OH a break, they can put in a service or a personal budget, where you can purchase your own support, which you would be entitled to. Check out personalisation for physical disabilities, which is what all social care should be adopted. Obviously providing a service is means tested but they can advise on this andfor most services its on your income alone. To be a full cost payer, you have to have over £23,500 savings, which most of us probably don't have.
You could also ask for an OT assessment for a walk in shower if this would be better for you but again a disabled facilities grant is means tested and there is normally a long waiting list for these to go through.
I hope this helps some of you.
Jo
jom2774
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for the info Jo, it could prove helpful for others who are finding things difficult as well :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jom2774 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 am

That's no problem. Thought it might bo others to pass my knowledge on. Shout me if you need me to do anything else or write a piece to hat that may help others accessing services that may be needed as everyone is entitled to an assessment if have long term illness or disability who may be entitled to a service under the chronic sick and disabled persons act and community care act.
jom2774
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Jo if you want to write something that gives information helping members to access things they may not be aware of then do it, let any of us mods know when you have done and we will make it a sticky so that it doesnt drop down the topic list and I'm sure all members will be very grateful. Its hard to know exactly where all the help is sometimes :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby jom2774 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 pm

I will try to put together an easy guide to services and other help that may be available. I will let you know when I have completed something for one of you to proof read. Only thing can't advise on is benefits as I am one of you there, even with professional assistance from colleagues am still fighting DLA.
Anything to help fellow fighters.
Jo
jom2774
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services