Explaining My Pain To My GP

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Explaining My Pain To My GP

Postby Lindiriel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 pm

I'd appreciate some thoughts on how to go about this.

I have tried to explain the pain I'm in to GPs on several occasions.

I'm in pain all the time. My lower back, knees and legs are the worst. If things get worse the pain especially in my lower back gets so bad it becomes difficult to stand for more than a few seconds. If I try to push through it and carry on, I get the 'jelly-legs thing to the point I'm afraid I'll just fall over.

Their stock answer is, of course, that anything that's wrong with me is because I'm fat and it's all down to the stress on my joints and spine, blah, blah, blah. I don't dispute that my weights adds to the problem but I don't agree it's the sole cause of my pain. I've been fat most of my life so I know how different this is.

Putting that to one side, another reply when I explain that the pain is always significantly worse after doing anything is 'well, it would be, because your body isn't used to doing any kind of exercise and that's why it hurts. Like going to the gym'.

I find this so frustrating because I don't sit around doing nothing all day, I make myself get up and do bits and bobs. But the pain is much worse after a busy week. For example, I had a busy week and then last night went out for the first time since July. Today, my legs and back hurt so much I want to cry. I can't stand for more than a few seconds before the pain starts. But I know if I tell a GP this they'll come back with one of the replies above or even both.

Any thoughts on how to make it clear that this isn't just a result of suddenly being more active even though when you ask me what I've been doing I have been more active. I don't know if that makes sense at all.

Interestingly, my IBS has been awful over the last few days. A pattern I'd not really noticed before.

Thanks,

Kath
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Re: Explaining My Pain To My GP

Postby diane1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:18 pm

HI and welcome :welcome:

One thing alot of us have done is do a diary showing what you've done and havent been able to do and also the pain and try and describe it for each part.

I have different pain its like walking on a shingle beach in my feet, sharp stabbing pains in my hands ,arms etc but sharp and quick like being a voodoo doll a flu like ache all over there are so many different types I could go on and on and on ....

Also take a copy of the symptoms of fibro and show your GP and tell him you've spoken to people with fibro and you think you have it. You'll also notice that we dont just have fibro but other related conditions like, IBS,Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,hypermobility,myofacial pain,arthritis,sleep disorders and many more. So see if you also have these.

Another test they do is the 18 point test which you will see explained on the fibro site .

Good Luck with it all and I hope you get some answers :fingerscrossed:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services