How is fibromyalgia diagnosed?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How is fibromyalgia diagnosed?

Postby sophie94 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 am

my doctor has told me he thinks i have it but the fact i have depression seems to deter an actual diagnosis. i have an appointment with rheumatology on nov. 15th, any advice?
i have constant pain, awful headaches, im always tired, have depression and anxiety amongst a whole hosts of other symptomsd includig loosing more hair than usual, anyone else get this?
sophie94
UKFM Newbie

Re: How is fibromyalgia diagnosed?

Postby Vimsen » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Sophia. Fibromyalgi can be difficult do diagnose as it does not show up on any tests. It is mostly diagnosed by a doctor based on symptoms and so-called "tender points" all over the body. Hope this helps :)
Some days are for living.
Others are for getting trough.
Vimsen
UKFM Member

Postby paulasimon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:42 pm

One gp did the point test and said I'd scored 15 out of 18 and he looked at my history of very painfully periods, various bouts of depression and anxiety, strains, sprains and sciatica, migraines and sinusitus, ytrapped nerves due to tingling and pins and needles as well and said is got fibromyalgia when all blood tests came back negative. Another gp says its rubbish and I'm experiencing menapausal symptoms. And I need to go on hrt! I refused. He's now sending me for another bloodu test and a neck cray. He says there is no need to see a rheumatologist as its definately menopause. I've never known anyone be racked in agony, so tired they feel like they r going to collapse have tingling all over the body, due to the menopause. I'm furious. He even asked me if I was down in the dumps! Well, I am now, I'm fuming!
paulasimon
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Paula it is your right to have a second opinion so push for it and tell your GP you are not satisfied with his diagnosis, :goodluck2: with the rhuemi Sophie hope you get sorted out
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services