At physio yesterday

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

At physio yesterday

Postby lolabolla » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 pm

I had surgery on 4th September to remove a tumour (thankfully benign) from the base of my right forefinger.

It was my third appointment with the physio and he was surprised that my finger and the surrounding area is still as stiff, painfull and swollen as it was 6 weeks ago.

After pulling and proding my hand and fore finger and commenting on how much my joints were grinding because of the arthritis :yikes: Yes I know they grind for goodness sake and they hurt too :(

Anyway he asked the usual questions and also queired if it was worse in the morning after I had slept.............sleep! "I get about an hour at a time if that" I explained.

So I could honestly say that it was the same throughout the day....and night and I try to excercise it frequently both day and night.

He then went on to say that because I am not reaching proper REM sleep which is where our bodies do the cell renewal etc., (we fibros know all too well about REM sleep and lack of it) that I should ne getting at least 4 solid hours for my body to repair itself.

He suggested after talking with the senior therapist that this may be why I am still having problems with movement in my finger and joints in my hand, my finger feels quite numb too.

It's now been suggested by the physio that I should ask my GP for something to make me sleep before he will refer back to the surgeon to check why it is not healing so well.

Anyone ever been told this after surgery.

Personaly I think the surgeon has 'nicked' one of the tendons during the op, but that's just my opinion.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Re: At physio yesterday

Postby shazq » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 pm

I always think i am a slow healer after operations but i think the fibro slows the progress down as you are fighting that as well.

My gp gives me zopiclone to help me sleep, i dont like to take them every night but even on the nights i do take them i only get about 4hrs sleep.

Hope you recover soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:55 pm

hi, lola, what ever the reason i hope it gets better soon.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 pm

:hugs: :flowers: Lola , Hope you start feeling a bit better soon.
I have always been a slow healer ..way before DX with FM but you may have a point , worth discussing with your GP .

Take care
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 am

In hindsight it does make sense.

If we don't get into stage 3-4 deep sleep it's obvious that our bodies will not be repairing properly, not just after surgery but after colds virus's etc.

Thanks for your rpelies

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services