cbt...... so very angry!! rant follows.......

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

cbt...... so very angry!! rant follows.......

Postby shoesandbags » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 pm

I need to sound off so please ignore if you are having a good day.....
I was recently diagnosed with fibro and the consultant and gp both said I needed cbt to help control the condition, pace my self, look at areas of how I can help my self. Basically an objective look at my life.
So I had my 20 min telephone appointment a few days ago where I had to answer the questions on depression and anxious. But I failed it as not depressed.
Today get called as the are not commissioned to treat fibro but only depression........ I feel do angry. I know cbt would help but I am not allowed it as I have not ticked the right boxes. An fuming...... So basically we have to wait till we are completely broken till we can get help...... It is hopeless!
shoesandbags
UKFM Member

Re: cbt...... so very angry!! rant follows.......

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

HAve you tried any of the organisations outside of the NHS for help. Sometimes they might be another avenue to go down.

Appreciate its not the same but I have a 2x 1/5 day workshop run by the Arthritis charities that I am going to next week . its aim is to help all sufferers of chronic pain gain some coping skills.

Hope you get something soon .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby maxtomads » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Terrible policy. I knew it existed so told gp I had depression as part of fibro. Also made sure to give right answers in initial assessment appt so I could be put on the cbt waiting list. Was told there was at least 6 month wait, that was about 3 months ago...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 pm

You can get CBT in chronic pain as well as anxiety and depression.

Who did they contact to do your assessment? and who would have been doing the CBT?

If they contacted the mental health team then no but of it goes via pain mangement team/pain clinic then yes either that or its due to funding / post code lottery

Private costs are so expensive

You will need to contact your GP and ask for another direction / source

CBT is well worth trying :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby isitme » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:31 pm

when i went to drs today had 3 things wanted to discuss whiich as some may know i had been building up to for ages to be brave enough to go:

had migraine since last friday so started with that so he quickly wrote me a prescription and tried to kick me out - or hurry me to door but nnot help me to open it, he prefers to watch me struggle.

wanted to explain about my stomach pains and my anxieties getting worse at goign otu now i don;t have my cbt or hydro to go to. but didn't get much of a chance to discuss it.

he vaguely mentioned i had had the cbt so should hhave the tools to deal with it and had a good report from her.

glad she wrote to him, it felt like the first and only day i went in and had done my exposure exercises, i thought greati am starfting to be a bit brave should be ok in a few week to stop this as i had felt she had been hinting i had had a lot of sessions.

but no great she said so your'e ok to be discharged then.

limited resources i know but is it bettter to do a lot of people badly or do less better????

anyway cbt was really helpful form me i thought but hard work and very mentally drainingf at times but nice to hanve someone there encouraging you.

i did have an over telephone assessmmnet first to see which treatment was most suitable for my problems (driving anxieties and going out) and luckily i was a candidate. had also told them i had had suiciidal thoughts at the time but didn;'t think i got any help for that.
think it was only support of guys on here that helped me through it.

i know i am slipping and not going out again so wanted to ask for some counselling but think i wont have a hope in hell to help me cope wiht my anxiietites at going out going by your experience.

i hope you feel better and the best support we seem to get is on here.
:-) :-)
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby LucyLiz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with your CBT (or lack of CBT), I'd be inclined to put up a fight about that one.

I was very keen to see a CBT, I'd seen one years ago to help treat a phobia and I was starting to feel like I needed to go back when I got my Fibro diagnosis, they offered me a CBT and I jumped at it - kill two birds with one stone!

In the first sessions I answered a lot of questions and I did have to fill in a questionnaire to determine whether I was depressed or something else (might have been stress?) Either way I ended up being pretty much smack bang in the middle and we scrapped the questionnaire and carried on.

CBTs aren't only "qualified" to treat just one issue, if they've told you you're not depressed so they can't treat you then to be honest I'd be going mental with them by now, and actually more of them treat anxiety linked to Fibro rather than depression....basically I think they're fobbing you off, I'd be inclined to complain.

Good luck with it all.
LucyLiz
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services