The right doctor is so important!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The right doctor is so important!

Postby AngieR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 pm

hello all. I don't post much on here but just wanted to share my current experiences. About 3 weeks ago I threw my hands up and told everyone I can't cope anymore - mixture of Fibro, depression and stress made me feel like I was having a breakdown. This time (and there have been others) I decided that enough was enough. I had got to the point where it was time for a change despite the huge financial pressures on me and hubby (leading to major feelings of responsibility and guilt) or time for an exit strategy!

After an amazing amount of positive feedback and "permission" (which astounded someone who was scared of feeling/looking like a failure) I thought I would see my Gp to explain the situation and see if there was anything I could take to help my restless legs ( body). I ended up seeing a trainee doctor and, on my second visit today to see how I was feeling and how the Amitryptaline was helping (magic pill!) it turns out that as part of his rotation, he worked at the Queen's Hospital in Romford where they have fibromyaligia in-patients! He was so understanding, not at all patronising, happy to discuss things and, is leaving the Practice in December :( . Well at least I have met someone who doesn't treat you as someone who is lazy, a hypochondriac etc etc and, despite my next follow up being with someone who seems to have had an emotional bypass and is happy acting as a healthcare 'broker', I retain some hope that possibly the next generation will be far more understanding!
AngieR
UKFM Member

Re: The right doctor is so important!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 am

I've moved you into here Angie with you posting about doctors, it's a more suitable part of the forum

You're right about having the right doctor, someone who will listen, understand and is prepared to work with the patient makes such a difference when dealing with something like FM. This is something that comes up on a regular basis. It never ceases to surprise me how a condition that is listed on the NHS site can be dismissed by some of the people we rely on for our care and treatment. And it does tend to be the younger/more recently qualified ones that are more aware of FM.

We need the dinosaurs wandering the corridors of the health service to be hit with an ice age that freezes them all but leaves all the decent ones free to treat patients how they should be treated :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm

:fingerscrossed: You get a good gp to take his place.

I am lucky as have a good gp, its just as well because he is the only gp in our practice.

It does make a big difference to have an understanding doc when you have fibro especially while you are swapping around your meds trying to find the right one/combo that suits you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby rdmthomas1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I have just changed my rheumy as I felt he was not listening to me and declared I did not have fibro as my gp thought but did not examine me and go through the symptoms I was having. My gp's at the surgery in Market Weighton, east yorkshire have been a wonderful support and helped me find a new rheumy in the shape of Dr Amanda Isdale at york district hospital. I saw her for the first time yesterday and she was great. She listened to everything I had to say and explained everything I wanted to know and examined me from top to toe with care and respect. Dr Isdale also confirmed I certainly did have fibromyalgia so at least I can get the right treatment now. I know this is lifelong and there are no miracles but if you know what you're dealing with you at least have a fighting chance at learning how to cope with it.
rdmthomas1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm

:wave: :wave: and :welcome: to the forum. Sorry to hear that you've been told you have FM, what you've said about having a fighting chance of dealing with it when you know what the problem is called is right and important to a lot of us, just as decent drs etc are for getting the right treatment.

Your first rheumy sounds like one of the dinosaurs, you must have been so relieved when your new one was the complete opposite :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: FM is with us for the long term, and we all keep wishing for a miracle that will help us all, until that happens tho, finding the right way for you to live with your FM can be one heck of a challenge :shock: :shock: :crazy: :crazy: Now you've joined us tho, hopefully some of the info and stuff on here will help make your challenge that little bit easier to reach :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Soapbubbles » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new here. I wish I had a sympathetic doctor who explained things to me. The last one I saw was better than some though. I did get the feeling he wanted to help even if I didn't want to take the amytriptilene he recommended. It is helping though so he was right, but it took me a while to get the dose right.

I just wish I had been given more help at the Rheumatology Department.
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Sadly, it's not unusual for the rheumy dept to be of little help once you've been dx'd Soapbubbles, in a lot of cases when you're told it's FM, being discharged back into the care of your GP is the next step. It sounds like the latest GP you've seen could have some potential for being helpful, a bit of guidance from a patient, such as yourself, might help him get there a bit quicker.

Having to change and tweak meds dosage is quite usual as you try to find the right mix of things for you, sometimes the starting dose does nothing and an increase or 3 may be needed to get there. Glad the amis are helping you tho, any easing we can get is always very welcome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Soapbubbles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Fluffypuffy,
Thanks for the support. I find it really reassuring knowing that I am not alone. I feel I have struggles on for so long with no one really understanding how I feel sometimes.

I will bear your points in mind. Sometimes doctors can be a bit touchy if you appear to know more than they do though about something. I will tread carefully.

xxx
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services