Can you Choose your GP

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can you Choose your GP

Postby neferhapi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi I am a bit new to this so please bear with me and apologies if this is covered in another thread on the forum but I am more than a little anxious about loosing my current GP as I have recently moved. I am still in the same postcode area as I was before (I am about a 15 minute walk from my old address) and wondered if anyone knew if there was some way I could stay with this GP even though it is not my closest anymore.
I have had fibro symptoms for 15 years and it has destroyed my life but every time I went to the GP I was routinely given a diagnosis of depression as I have had a number of personal problems in my life (although I have never suffered from depression, weeping, suicidal thoughts etc) anyway eventually after 15 years of being fobbed off 4 months ago I saw a new GP at my surgery who mentioned fibro and said he thought I had it.
I have had inconclusive blood tests and have been put on ami and naproxyn and it helps a bit (2 pain free days in 4 months) but have not been to see a Rheumy and am unsure if I have been given a proper diagnosis.
The thought of having to see a new GP and to go back to square on is keeping me awake at night (which is really helpful) I am able to work and am lucky enough to only have fairly mild symptoms such as constant pain (although most days I can function) tenderness and skin sensitivity, restless legs, fatique, insulin resistance and problems with my sinuses. All of these are managable but only with painkillers and meds.
I have an appointment with my nice GP on Wednesday and would appreciate any advice on how to tackle this.
neferhapi
UKFM Member

Can you Choose your GP

Postby Morgana » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:12 pm

I think you need to be in their catchment area... We moved from one postcode area to another and are still with the same GP but we had to agree to no home visits. I think the website NHS Choices lets you put in your postcode and brings up the surgeries that cover your area... and you can always write and ask your practice manager if you can stay with them

Good luck

Mo x
Morgana
UKFM Member

Location: A filing cabinet in Hell... or at least that's what it feels like!

Re: Can you Choose your GP

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:06 pm

hi
the "catchment areas" of the GPs do overlapp
they might have a map hanging at the entranceor on the notice board
you could call annonymosly and ask that you live "new address" and if this is in their area
good luck
it's so important to have a supportive GP
Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:12 pm

With all the new 'choices for patients' that the NHS does now I think you will be able to stay , you need to talk to your doc, my sister moved out of our docs catchment area but was allowed to remain in the practise so :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby moonhare » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi Neferhapi

I moved house (20 miles away) nearly 3 years ago, and like you didn't want to change my GP as i had been with the practice for many years, and they new my medical history inside out. Plus the fact that I felt at ease with most of the doctors there.

So I contacted the Practice Manager of my surgery, explained the situation, and said that I really didn't want to leave there as it was such a good practice, and that I felt well supported.

Like Morgana says, I too had to agree to no home visits, but as long as I was able to give them an address local to the surgery (I gave my parents) I have been able to stay with them. It's possible each practice has it's own views on these things, but it's worth a try.

Good luck.
moonhare
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services