Social services and re-ablement team

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Miss_Riot » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:23 pm

I've been told that I can't get any help from social services if I don't let them come and care for me every day for 6 weeks whilst they assess my needs. My main problems are bathing and getting dressed. At the moment either my mother or my boyfriend does it, but if neither are available I just stay in bed. Its different people that come in every day, and I am very scared of getting naked in front of people I don't know well - I was abused as a kid and I'm also very worried that its just going to make me feel very vulnerable and likely to have flashbacks and panic attacks. I have been told I cannot get any help from social services without going through this process - even though I've suggested them assessing my mum helping me instead. What do I do? I need some help because they both need respite and my mum has ME and my boyfriend has to work to make ends meet. What can I do?
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Re: Social services and re-ablement team

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Have you spoken to Social Services about why you are so scared about things?? If not, then doing so may mean an alternative way could be found.

I can understand why you feel as you do from my own experiences, what you need to try and remember tho is that the vast majority of people who do these caring jobs look at it as just exactly that......a job. They will have seen pretty much everything you have, and probably a few more delights as well. And once they are aware of your concerns, as the ones we DON'T hear about are the good and decent ones, they will probably try to help reassure you about things.

If that doesn't help, then maybe a compromise would be to let them come and assess your for the 6 week period, and make sure either Mum or Boyf are in the room as well, when they come to see you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Miss_Riot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 am

I have told them and they said its their way or not at all. I've made a complaint as has my mum and the manager has stop returning her calls. I'm kind of stuck as to what to do really.
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:03 pm

i understand where you are coming from but even after the assessment they may not be able to guarantee which care worker comes out as they may work shifts.

its a catch 22 if you are able to cope wiht the help you need but you need the help and your family need a break.

its like losing the last of our dignity, i don;t een like asking my oh we really do lose it all.

a friend of mine was assessed and they really did assess her whole life from her kids answering the door to if she did/did not need help so be careful when these people are there and don;t be afraid to ask for help as if you come across needing less than you do as you ar eembarrassed they may assess you as not needing.

we are always made to feel on our guard.

take care
i hope you are able to sort somethign out 0 social services have refused me as i have oh so they said he is expecte dto do it. :roll:
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Maybe you would be able to cope with the assessment phrase if you had your boyfriend or mother present when they come and provide the care you required? The careworkers really don't see the different 'private' areas at all. They see your body as a whole and that they are providing the service you require. Trust me, over the yrs i've been a care assistant to the elderly and special need children. If, you do pass the assessment and you can cope with it all mentally, hopefully you'll be comfortable with them around and also giving you some1 to speak to if you feel lonely

hope we chat again loads of these :hugs: from me to u
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 am

As a care worker myself, and fibro sufferer I aid a few elderly people with showers from time to time. It isnt unusual for some people to say they will wear there swim wear as they feel uncomfortable and that is fine. For a car worker to insist on washing your body if you say no is considered assult!

Being a carer for the council doing home care seems to be a fairly fibro friendly job. I can work for two hours go home and rest for two then go back out and heat up a few micro meals and give meds for another two hours. I believe i may even be able to get help with a mobility allowance for my car to help with my job but I havent went there yet.

Hope you get a care team that you feel comfortable with, all the best x
sunnyd
UKFM Newbie

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 am

sorry bit of fibro fog as havent slept tonight.

Carers are also told to promote independance and will only step in with the sponge for places you cant reach.

I am lucky that when i am bad my back to back at work will do the morning shift and i will do her evenings.
sunnyd
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 am

Thank you for that sunnyd, it could help reassure others who are finding themselves needing such help and have some concerns.

Sounds like you've found that right balance for you job and FM~wise :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services