[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Deep injection under x-ray!! Very scared

Deep injection under x-ray!! Very scared

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Deep injection under x-ray!! Very scared

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi all

I attended the pain clinic yesterday following 2 MRI's! As some of you will know i am waiting for major spinal surgery but the waiting list is so long. Anyway the consultant i saw at my appointment is wanting to do a deep injection under xray but he says he will have to give gentamicin aswell as steroids and lignocaine as it is risky injecting into bone and would hate for me to get an infection in the bone as it could be very serious. I am so desperate to get some relief i have decided to go ahead with it but i am very, very scared and wondered if anyone else has had this done. He also said if he gets into the right point he is wanting to put a wire into the disc which is heated to try and get my pain under control. The pain in the bottom of my spine has been unbearable its like its pulsating, as though something is tapping onto a nerve in time with my pulse.

I have been in the support group for ESA for the last 3 years and i recieved a review and another ESA50 to complete which i have been trying to complete, it really has come at the wrong time, i am dreading having to go for another medical as my last one was a complete nightmare. I have completed most of the form but i have also typed an 8 page report on how my life is affected not only by fibro but also crohn's (i suffer with incontinence a lot of the time) high blood pressure which is out of control, diabetes, Osteoporosis, kidney stones and of course this problem with my back.

I thought that they allowed you 6 weeks to complete this questionaire but i have only been given 4 weeks!!! I am going to get it back as quick as i can though, you never know i may know before christmas if i have to go for a medical, if not i will have it at the back of my mind all christmas!!!! I have been at the cardiology clinic aswell this week and both appointments i have requested a copy of the letter that will be sent to my gp so that i can send this in with my medical questionaire. Just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions to help me with this. I just feel everything is just getting on top of me right now and i am really struggling.

The pain clinic are also wanting me to come off the Gabapentin slowly and start on Duloxatine, is anyone else taking this?
I am really desperate for any help or advice.

Milly xxx :(
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: Deep injection under x-ray!! Very scared

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Milly , no wonder you are scared , all new procedures cause us anxiety and yours sounds very complex.
What you have to remember is that you are not the first person that this doctor has done this on and he/she would not have recommended it if they didn't think it might give you some relief. At least he is looking at ways to alieviate your pain so you have to remember he is on your side

I have only experienced an epidural under real time x-ray where my consultanat fed the steroid & lignocaine into the small space between my vertibrate where the disc should be. I have had a total of 4 of these procedures and while they were not pleasent the one thing I can say is that they weren't as bad as my imagination had lead me to think they would be. I sometimes think our imaginations are our worst enemies so it might be a good idea to try and read up about what he is going to do , that wasy you will know what to expect and when .

Good luck and hope you manage to get the form filled out on time . You are doing the right thing getting all the letters to back your case.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Sending you some [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] coated :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :hugs: :hugs: Milly :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I haven't had anything like what your consultant is suggesting for you, the closest I came was the surgeon who fused my vertebrae was considering something along those lines if things didn't start to settle down a few months after surgery. I didn't have to have it as things started to settle down, well either that or I had started to get used to how things felt :-? :-? :-?

I's understandable that you're worried about having this treatment/procedure done, just thinking about it and the reasons he gave you for adding the extra bits to it made me :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Along with the :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: tho is the possibility that it could bring you some degree of relief which helps make things that bit more manageable to live with. Is there anywhere you can find out some more about it to see if it helps you feel a bit less :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: ??

There's never a good time for an ESA review to happen :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: You've made a start on it tho, which is far better than leaving it to the last minute, and hopefully means that you'll get it one and back to them well within the time they give you. I'm not sure about the difference in time limits between when you completed the ESA50 3 years ago and the amount of time you have to do it this time :-? :-? If the previous one you completed was your first one, maybe extra time was given with it being new/different :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: I can't remember how long I was given when mine arrived :-? :-?

Including letters/reports about your health with the form, esp where things have changed since your last claim is the best thing to do. Hopefully it will show how things are for you each day and mean that you don't have to go for another "medical" :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Milly

I have never had it done but can understand your fear about it. :goodluck1: with everything i hope it helps your pain. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi ISC, Fluppypuff and Shazq

Thank you so much for your replies, its so good to know there are people out there who really understand which means so much!!! I think a lot of my problems are that i am scared of needles but i am hoping that i shouldnt remember too much as this procedure is done with sedation. ISC it sounds like what i am having done is similar to my procedure, i am going to ring my consultants secretary in the morning and ask what this procedure is called so that i can find out exactly what i will be having done to me. I deal with things much better if i understand what they will be doing and know just what to expect at least this way ther wont be any surprises.

I have had injections into the tender points twice now and i found that extremly painful and didnt really get any relief. It didnt help yesterday as i was in so much pain at my appointment i think i would have agreed to anything just to get some relief and now reality has kicked in and i am terrified. I will need to see my GP anyway as they are wanting to gradually get me off Gabapentin and introduce Duloxitine, not sure what Duloxitine is for so any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all so much it does mean a lot, i have a very close family but i do live on my own and sometimes its so hard not having someone there who you can talk to. I do have Milly my little rescue dog, i tell her everything, she see's it all she washes my tears when i get upset and she just knows when things are bad. I love her more than life itself but its not the same as sharing things with another person and without this forum i dont know where i would be and for that i am so grateful.

Gentle hugs to you all thank you
Milly xxx :(
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:56 pm

milly hope all goes well for you :hugs:
i had a disc op about 4 years ago i think :roll: could be longer :roll: :crazy: :oops: :lol:

back pain is :evil: all the best :flowers:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi Milly

Duloxitine is an antidepressant plus its also used to treat nerve pain.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

You know there's always someone on here Milly :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: Even tho we may not have an answer to what is being asked and can only offer some cyber :grouphug: :hugs: :grouphug: :hugs: :grouphug: :hugs: :grouphug: :hugs: just knowing that someone has had a think about what is being asked can help make things that little bit easier to manage.

As Shaz has said, Duloxetine is an anti~d that has been found to help with nerve pain. I found this on the main site http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/treatment ... ation.html If you go down the page you'll come to a section about Cymbalta, also known as Duloxetine. Have a bit of a look and a read, it may help you when you go to see your GP about starting to come off the Gabas. Like all things FM, it can be more effective for some than others, but might be worth considering.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 am

Hi all

Thank you so much for your replies!!! I am already on amytriptyline 75mg and from what i remember from my appointment he wanted to start me on 30mg at night increaisng to 60mg at night and to get off Gabapentin completely. I am also worried about weight gain as i have put on 2 stone over 9 months since starting Gabapentin, does Duloxatine also cause weight gain? I really need to get some weight off, i am not massively overweight but i am overweight with this extra 2 stone. I am careful about what i eat and do eat healthily, but i still struggle to lose it. I am not too bothered about chocolates or sweet things, in fact its pickled onions that i have had cravings for during my spell taking Gabapentin, the only downside of that is it really upsets my crohn's disease but i just cant stop eating them. This sounds bad but i can sit and eat a full jar in one sitting!!!!! Do these drugs affect anyone else like this? I didnt put any weight on with the amy's!!! Its so confusing with all the swapping and changing of the drugs we are on.

I can talk quite easily to my pain consultant but at my last appointment i was talking about my severe fear of the MRI scanner as i had to have 2 with only a few weeks appart and he he said its like being in a coffin!!! The only difference is when you are in a coffin you will be dead so you dont mind, i was quite shocked at his dry sense of humour and i certainly didnt expect him to come out with something like this, even the nurse was shocked lol.... I just wished other members on this site had a pain consultant that you can talk to, he doesnt rush his patients in fact i was in with him for 45mins and i got some strange looks when i came out because i had been in so long and the waiting room was full. I know i am lucky in this respect. I have rung his secretary and asked for a copy of my consent form when she sends me a copy of my gp letter so at least i can look up exactly what i am going to be having done and what to expect.

:grouphug: Milly xxx :-)
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

I have to say Milly that I didn't like the thought of the MRI scan but the lady organising it was wonderful.

When I went in the first time I did feel a little hemmed in but she brought me out again very quickly ( she said that I had her suck it & see intro to the MRI) and gave me head phones and like an eye mask to put on . I hadn't brought my own music ( it seems in some hospitals you can) but her choice of music that I could hear through the headphones was ok. Once I had the headphnes etc on it was much easier I totally relaxed and if I'm honest I was almost nodding off to sleep .
the 2nd time as I knew what to expect it was all much easier and I had my fav CD with me so just popped it into the system and got it all over with no messing about.
Again I think its our imagination plays tricks on us about things that we don't know.

The x ray machine that they use at the treatment is just like a suspended camera and the consultant watches the real time images on a screen in front of him

Good luck adn you know where we are if you want a chat
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:12 pm

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/duloxetine-side-effects.html Another linky for you Milly, about side effects this time. I've only scanned thru it, it mentions something about weight loss as a possible side effect. I'm sure a proper read thru will give you a better idea about things.

Weight gain is a known side effect of the Gabas, along with some of the other meds often used for FM, incl amitriptyline. When you start reducing the gabas level tho, you may find that some of the weight starts to come off as well :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

As for the pickled onion craving, I only had one thought and it wasn't about you eating a full jar in one go....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've had several MRIs, all of which I had to go in head first as that was the area that was being scanned :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: For the first one I was on skull traction, which had to be taken off and I was wedged with things to keep my head and neck still. I was pretty much out of it for that one tho as I was on pethidine and diazepam at the time as it was a matter of days after a car accident that left me with a dislodged and fractured vertebrae. The last one was the worst tho, as I was so anxious :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I had started to panic, but couldn't press the panic button for things to stop, and ended up passing out during it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think we need to find out how we can successfully clone your pain consultant, then we can all be treated by a decent dr :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tonydin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 am

ok milly ill be honest about this and asy it how it was , iv had this and it did me no good and would not have another, actual injection was ok and did not hurt much at all which is good , but in my case when the fluid was injected it nust have commpressed the disc space because for 30 sec it was the worst pain i have ever fealt , a grown man being held down screaming by three nurses some thing i dont want to go through agian.

it did wear of after 2 minites but fealt like a lifetime , sorry to be blunt and it may not happento you , they were all a bit mistified as to why i reacted like thism so its not a normal thing to happen

as i said there were no long term beifits for me at all . good luck whatevr you decide
take care
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 am

Hi all

Thank you all for your help. I have looked at the links that you sent fluppy puffy and i have decided its worth a try, the only thing is i am already on 75mg of ammys at night and they want me to take duloxatine at night aswell so i am hoping that i am going to get some good nights sleep. Its nights that are worse for the restless legs and that keeps me awake so :fingerscrossed: it works.

Thank you for your honesty tonydin, sometimes its good to know what to expect no matter how bad it is. I think 1 of my main concerns is if it gets too painful and i move or cant keep still in case it causes any harm especially as it is such a delicate procedure. I am being given sedation so i am hoping that this helps, but the consultant scared me a bit when he said he had to give me antibiotics into the area before he put the steroids in to prevent me getting any infection into the bone as he said that would be serious. I dont know everything that we have done all seem to come with worrying risks. I know i have to give it a go because this pain is really unbearable. Did you have the heated wire done at the same time and were you sedated for this procedure? It really sounds like you had a bad time with it especially as it didnt give you any relief.

Milly xxx :-)
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: Re: Deep injection under x-ray!! Very scared

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:26 am

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tonydin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

no it was just the injection , they put anti biotics in as well as routine and no sedation my advice take the sedation :-P :-P
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services