Rheumo appointment

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rheumo appointment

Postby Maxisback » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 am

Hello all,
I have a rheumology appointment on the 20th, any ideas on what they will be doing to me?
I am anxious about being touched as it causes great discomfort (as my poor partner had found) .
I am probably just getting myself in a tizzy but prewarned is forearmed.
Thanks in advance
Max xx
Maxisback
UKFM Member

Re: Rheumo appointment

Postby lolabolla » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 pm

From my own experience the reumy asked me loads of questions, especially about my past medical history and family medical problems.

She was very gentle when examining me, checked my reflexes etc, pressed the pressure points.....ouch!

Diagnosed me on the spot as having Hypermobility syndrome, fibro and CFS.

Hope your's goes as well.

I would take with you your list of symptoms etc because you are quite liable to forget the most important points only to remeber what you meant to say when you get home. :crazy: :crazy:

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby Maxisback » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Lola,

The list was started some time again , extensive one lol (you have to laugh some days eh?!)

Will keep you informed :)

Max xx
Maxisback
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:06 pm

It seems to vary from rheumy to rheumy as to what happens Max :-? :-? :-? As a very general idea tho, you could well be examined, with it being quite likely that the tender points are checked out, so try and prepare yourself for being scraped off the ceiling, then the floor, then the walls :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: You may be asked about how things seemed to start off, when things started getting worse and other general questions about your symptoms and problems to the current time. Same with any meds and treatments you've tried and how effective they seemed to be or not to be, as well as any other questions about your health that the rheumy may feel is relevant, even tho your history should have been sent over when you were referred.

Depending on how things are, the rheumy may give you a dx there and then :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: Or they may feel that some additional tests/scans are needed before you are given a dx, which would probably mean some more waiting for appt, results, then going back to see the rheumy again, this time hopefully coming out with a dx/some answers to things.

When you do get a dx, you may find that you're discharged back into the care of your GP. If this happens, which is quite usual, you will need to see your GP for meds, treatments etc. The rheumy may make some suggestions about possible meds and treatment when they write to your GP with their findings, but this doesn't always happen.

Write down things that you want to tell the rheumy, as well as any questions you want to ask. Try to get someone to go along with you, as well as the moral support, having an extra pair of eyes and ears can help with remembering what is being said, as well as adding in anything you may have forgotten about.
:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: And let us know how you go on :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Maxisback » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Evening all ,
My appointment this morning was 9.45, we arrived 9.15, finally seen at about 11. By that time I was climbing the walls after getting up really early as it takes ages to get mobile.
Anyway , just thought I would update you with DX, they have sad FM, CFS & Raynaurds :-// trust me to get greedy lol.
Looks like my meds will be changed too, Lyrica seems on the cards.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Max xx
Maxisback
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Sorry you got extra labels along with fibro :( but at least now with the answers you can get the right treatment started. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Maxisback » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Awww thanks Shazq, I am ok with it all actually, it's just good to have it official and like you say treatment can start.

Thanks for your concern
Max xx
Maxisback
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Probably not the type of Christmas present you would have wanted :elfsnaowball: :elfsnaowball: :elfsnaowball: Hopefully tho, with you knowing what you're dealing with now, you'll be able to start finding the right mix of things for you to live with them :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services