Fibro and bedrest after surgery

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and bedrest after surgery

Postby Vimsen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm

My surgery was Thursday of last week. It was a lot more complicated then it was supposed to be, so recovery is longer. A lot of bedrest, which is killing me in regards to the fibro, I'm in so much pain lately!

For those of you who's been trough a surgery requiring lots of bedrest, how did you "get along" with the fibro? What did you do to avoid too much pain? Not even morphin is helping much with fibro pain.
Some days are for living.
Others are for getting trough.
Vimsen
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and bedrest after surgery

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi
Keep up with your painkillers & fluids, lots of rest. Keep warm, hot water bottles can help ease pain & wheat bags.

You just have to give it time, you will get there. :hugs: :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 am

hope your feeling better soon
keep chin up :flowers: :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 am

As others have said you just have to give it time, rest as much as you can , take plenty of fluids and light meals and any meds that you normal have plus extra pain killers as prescribed by Doctor post op.

You really can't rush the healing process, as you say you have had major surgery that has in itself had its own complications...all you can do is be nice to your self for a while .
Not a medic but believe the following helped me when trying to recuperate after surgery :-

Wear cotton night clothes and make sure that you don't have a lot of crinkles in the bed clothes .
If you can try and get up and move around every couple of hours .
Moisturise pressure points with vasaline or E45 cream seems to stop the skin drying out & breaking down.

Good luck & hope you feel better soon
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Vimsen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Thank's all, already following most of the advice given.

I started feeling short of breath and loosing my apetite three days ago though... short of breath came and went so I shook it off as fibro pain and muscle knots. Today, however, the short of breath didn't stop, and in the afternoon I got worried and told a nurse who called the doctor. Long story short, they took some tests and I'm not getting enough oxygen... they are suspecting a blood clot.
Vimsen
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Hope everything turn out ok vimsen. :hugs: :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Vimsen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:51 pm

shazq wrote:Hope everything turn out ok vimsen. :hugs: :flowers:

Thank's! It is. Thankfully it was not a blood clot, but a mild pneumonia. Hopefully going home tomorrow, been here ten days now :)
Vimsen
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:51 am

At least you have the DX for your shortness of breath , woul dhave been very scary if you were at home.

Hope you are feeling more settled and a bit more mobile and have some help organised for when you get home. From experience pls don't try and do to much , sometimes I think once we get back into our own surrounding we think we are super human again and that then leads to a longer recover time.

Slow & Steady wins this race :-D

Take care and wish you well for the next few weeks
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am

Hi

Just keep warm and rest as much as you can!!! Baby steps will get you through that recovery road. Take care and sending you big gentle :hugs:

Milly xxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Vimsen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Thank's all :)

Going home soon, arranged with a friend to come help me pack, and hospital will have homecare to meet me at home. I will for sure take it easy. I don't have to do much at home. I already have someone coming home to me once a week to help with housework, and I have a friend living with me who will take responsibility for the teenage cats.

It's a madhouse at home sometimes, really. Sometimes the cats act like rebellious teenagers :lol: (did I say sometimes??)
We're a fosterhome for cats from Animal Protection. Currently have 4 in the house (3 are 8 month old, 1 is around 3), although I've adopted one of them. Getting cat nr. 5 soon though.

Sigh... why did I isist on preferring kittens? Sometimes I feel like :pull-hair: (I said sometimes again, didn't I? I have to stop using that word! :-P ) but mostly it's an all-around joy having them. Kittens and cats who's lived outdoors show appreciation in a very special way, for finally being let inside, getting food, being warm, and healthy. It's an amazingly rewarding thing to be a fosterhome. Apart from the times I feel like I'm going crazy, which is often enough :lol:
Vimsen
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Just take it nice & easy when you get home, get plenty of rest. :flowers:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services