Do Doctors have to fill out medical reports for you ?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do Doctors have to fill out medical reports for you ?

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

HI Last Spetember or so I applied for an income support element of an insurance poilicy I had . As per a previous thread I have had some difficulties with the claim as my GP has written a report which the insurers claim links my Fm to a previous difficulty . I have had a chat with the GP about this and they have assured me that was not thier meaning and it is just the way the insurance bod has read her use of English. They have gone back to GP now on 4 occasions for clarification of points she has raised . Add to that I have now applied for ESA and DLA renewal plus my work occupational health doc has requested further information !

I guess what I'm trying to ask is does there came a point when a GP can just not fill out a medical report for you/on you ?

I'm fed up filling out forms to try and claim what I think I am reasonable entitled to and am I guessing/ also thinking that my GP must be sick of the sight of my name at the top of medical report requests ...never mind the fact that they have to also deal with me in surgery. :lol:

Or am I just being paranoid & depressed?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Do Doctors have to fill out medical reports for you ?

Postby shazq » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:59 pm

HI
As far as i am aware if the gp is contacted by DWP or an insurance company asking them to fill out a medical report on you they will do it but it might not always be your own gp who will fill the form in.

You could ask your gp to write you out a private medical report but you will be charged a fee for this.

If you keep copies of all your previous claims or any doctors letters written in the past and nothing has changed yo could copy them and send them off again. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby macca » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:49 am

Hi, can't say for sure if GP's have to do this. Its wise to maintain a positive relationship with your GP but they can surprise you with fees that they ask for.

We had to pay my wife's GP £150 for a medical report including a physical assessment which was needed for her fight for ESA. A high price you may think but it was necessary to show how flawed the ATOS report was. It contradicted the 2011 ATOS report in many places and unsurprisingly was very much in synch with ATOS's own incapacity benefit report from 2004 ! It proved to be vital in the fight.

Macca
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Mr Macca, Given the fight you have been leading for Mrs Macca , I'm sure you felt it was money well spent.

I'm prepared to get a medical report if I need too Shazq, I only ask if they have to fill out a report for you because the GP who dx me and who I have been going to see through most of last year is a busy lady who only works P/T and getting reports from her in a reasonable time scale is quite difficult . Given all the forms I have recently filled out I have a fear she might just say enough is enough particularly because the insurance income portection people have asked her to clarify my DX and its relationship to another conditions on 4 occasions ! I could totally understand if she just gave up responding to them or seeing me in surgery !

I'm just uptight about all the benefit claims I have ongoing at the moment (ESA/DLA). Getting them would mean so much to family finances but given recent changes I am like everyone else quite nervous about the whole thing.

Thanks for your replies

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi ISM

I am so sorry you are going through all this right nowbut i dont think your gp can refuse to write a report when asked to. Just a thought it could be worth your while in asking her to do a private report for you as long as you are prepared to pay. I looked at it as you have to speculate to accumulate and in my case it paid off!! I had just been refused ESA altogether, i didnt even get enough points for WRA but the report i got from my gp got the decision overturned and i was placed in the SG. I also used the same report 2 years later for my DLA application and i am now on HR care and mobility. It was a massive help to me and £75 worth paying but the fact that i had a report from a gp who knew my problems rather than a report done by any gp as had happened previously.

I am now going through the whole ESA reassessment but they left me alone for nearly 4 years. My condition has got much worse since my last assessment but there is no telling what decision atos will come to. I put in my last medical questionaire begining of dec and to date i havnt heard anything so i am on pins waiting to see if they will be calling me for a medical. I always get a copy of the letter sent to my gp following all outpatients appointments which i included with my application along with loads of additional information explaining how all the conditions i have affect me, they are probably still trawling through it lol!!!! I have included the report my gp did 4 years ago but i am not sure if they will need another and if they do i hope they request it from my own gp if not i will have to pay again.

Sending you gentle :hugs: i really understand what you are going through!! Isnt it bad enough that we are ill without having to go through all this stress aswell. Everyday i dread the post coming in case its from atos and its bad news, i thank the lord everyday once the post has been delivered but then i am waiting for it the following day!!!!

Take care
Millyxxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services