CBT what to expect

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

CBT what to expect

Postby tracyclarke » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 am

I have my first appointment later on today (its now 2am and cant sleep again)
I am not sure what to expect or even what i am hoping to get out of this, i know i will be asked this question within the first 5 mins.
I am very tempted to say, i just want this all to go away so i can be normal again, but somehow i dont think thats whats they are going to want to hear.

Please if anyone can give me a bit of an insight i would be greatful. xx

Much love and hugs everyone. xxx
tracyclarke
UKFM Member

Re: CBT what to expect

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 am

Be prepared to work hard to gain any benefit out of this and if you can manage that its a very rewarding therapy although not suitable for all.

Its learning all about yourself and how your mind works. Its learning lots of techniques in how to control your way of thinking. It can also help you manage/control symptoms and help you to pace. It will teach you your limitations.

You will be set homework each time. I have had CBT in anxiety and depression and with both i had home work and this took alot of my energy as your going out of your comfort zone. In some cases its just writing down each day your emotions and analysing how they have catastrophised. I would imagine with CBT in chronic pain you may have to note down what causes flare ups / what your limitations are /what you can and cant *push thro*

Its finally looking at the whole picture and helping you. CBT is a way of changing how we think, to be more positive and achieve wider goals and for the pain not to take control over your life.

Easy said then done i know! but its well worth a try and :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tracyclarke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Lisa.

Thank you for the reply it was very helpful. I had my first session and i thought it went very well yesterday. Yes i have been set a little bit of homework, some reading about chronic pain and its cycle and i have a flow chart to fill in about how i feel, the pain, what i can cant do etc.
I am very excited about this now and am looking forward to gaining more understanding and some coping methods into this crazy world we now find ourselves in. xxx
tracyclarke
UKFM Member

CBT what to expect

Postby toplessbug » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 pm

My doc keeps asking me to have a go but I'm not one to open my feelings up to anyone.
I just don't know.
xxhugsxx

Sent from my iPhone using the force :-)
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm

toplessbug wrote:My doc keeps asking me to have a go but I'm not one to open my feelings up to anyone.
I just don't know.
xxhugsxx

Sent from my iPhone using the force :-)

You can buy books on CBT in chronic pain or look in the library OR there are CBT online for free just need to search around if you want to try this therapy but do not want to speak or see someone.

The benefits of seeing a therapist is they help you by guiding you in the right direction and also i had my therapists contact number if i had any worries or problems.

Books and online are the next best thing and more and more GP's are recommending them. I saw a GP last month and she gave me a free CBT in anxiety course online to read which was mainly to brush up my exisiting skills as i always seem to slip down and just need that boost back up.

Thats the good thing with CBT you can always have booster sessions at a later date or look back in the book or refesh yourself online or look through your notes.

Once you have learnt the skills its with you for life although i do find when im totaly run down i need a booster to pick myself up.

My anxietys were alot to do with the *fear of the unknown* so learning about the mind and how my thought process went i could get myself back into control. I do have bad periods still BUT :fingerscrossed: my anxiety has never gone back to the worst i found myself in before therapy.

I recognise my triggers and know when im slippin down by the CBT i was taught so i know when to get help. It really is a good tool to have.

I strongly believe both body and mind need to be at level to be able to maintain control or to be able to cope. When on slips so does the other so for me its keeping both on an even path.

Being chronicly ill every day is exhausting and having CBT techniques just gives you that little extra help

I still have anxiety but back then i was agrophobic and a little OCD i had lost control and a slighest cold i felt i had a terminal illness :yikes: i lost the plot completely and when your mind goes for me it was the most fearfullist time i have ever been thro yet having CBT got me thro all of that and so today i have anxiety still but not as severe as it was back then.

I also had CBT in depression. This was more of techniques into how your thought process goes. It helped me recognise when im slippin down but wasnt as successful as the CBT in anxiety. I suppose with depression they cannot take away the route of the problems where as anxiety was all in the mind for me.

Its good to hear you had a good session and i hope it helps :-D
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Tracy glad it went well, I found it helped me quite a bit but I couldnt get into the last bit unfortunately so :fingerscrossed: you can :-D :-D :-D

TB why not give it a try, I am not someone who finds it easy to open up, the counsellor will have met people like you before and they have ways of making you feel more comfortable and wont pry further than you are willing to go :hugs: :hugs: If it isnt for you (and it isnt for everyone :!: ) then at least you can say you tried but hopefully you just might get something out of it that helps you deal with the condition a little easier :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 pm

TB, you've absolutely noting to lose from giving it a go and quite possibly some decent things could be gained from it. I had a number of sessions over 6 months a few years ago and I still use what I learnt to help when things start to darken and slip.

Like Lisa, I find that to keep things balanced, both my mind and body need to be level with each other. If one starts to slip then the other will follow it closely. Knowing this, as well as the signs that things are starting to waver mean I'm able to mostly bring them back up before I get too far down into the abyss. I've had a few fairly serious drops, but none as bad as I had been pre~therapy.

Chronic pain was central to my sessions, as well as covering some other things that popped up. Most recently I've revisited what I originally did, but from a fatigue angle during some sessions I'm having for CFS. As well as learning about looking at things with the emphasis being fatigue, rereading and refreshing myself about what I am able to do to help myself has been extremely useful.

Tracy, I hope you will get as much as possible from your sessions. At times you may well wonder what can be done to help with what seems to be an impossible problem to solve. If you can keep your mind open to the idea that there are ways to deal with things, een if they don't seem apparent at first, you may be amazed at what you can actually find a solution to.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services