What next?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What next?

Postby melsiebelle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi,

Yesterday I had an appointment at hospital to see a rheumatologist for suspected arthritis. The rhematologist said infact I have hypermobility syndrome and fybromyalgia.

I was sent away and told they would post some information out to me.

What happens now? Is that me diagnosed? Nothing was said about what to do next!
melsiebelle
UKFM Newbie

Re: What next?

Postby LouLou » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi melsiebelle

When I saw my rehumatologist he was adament that my FM was caused by stress and having hypermobility syndrome (aka being double jointed) This is something my GP strongly disagrees with as I have never been able to do anything anyone with hypermobility can do and there are a few positions you are supposed to be able to put your hands and legs into which I just can't do, nor have I ever been able to do lol.

Anyway, sounds like you have your diagnosis. Your rheumy really should have given you a bit more info on the next step, though this may be included in the information they are posting out to you.

You don't mention being on any painkillers in your post but may be worth a trip to your GP to talk things through. You can find out what meds you can take, what you can do to help with your symptoms and whether your GP has anything he/she wants you to try. Usually after a diagnosis you are discharged to the care of your GP (that's what happened with me) and from then on your GP will be the one to help you. I see mine every few months just to ctach up, talk about how I'm getting on, anything he or I want to change about my meds etc.

I hope that helps
x
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby melsiebelle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm

That really does help, thank you!

I'm currently on Amitriptyline, Dr wants me to take 30mg but I have a small daughter who still wakes in the night and i cant hear her, or if i do I cant move, if I take the whole 30mg.

I've an appt with my GP in a couple of weeks anyway so will see what happens then. Think I'm still in a bit of shock :(
melsiebelle
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pepperty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 pm

welcome to the community Melsie, yes, hearing your diagnosis is always a shock - even if you suspected it. Take some time to look around on line and read up - I found the information available reasuring (if sometimes scary!) but its good to be well informed.

I'm on 10mg amitrypline and that seems to be working for me, luckily my daughters are teens and self sufficiant. No wonder us ladies struggle with sleep ;-) Even my non fma pals (with children) sleep very lightly! Its a habit you automatically get into when family comes along. My man sleeps through our dog having barking fits 2x night, I never do!
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Melsiebelle

The Rheumy will write to your gp saying he has dx you with fibro, sometimes they will suggest a medication to start you on then they leave you in the care of your gp.

The most common med used is Amitriptyline, you might be started on this as it helps with pain/sleep/antidepressant but they will take up to 4 weeks to fully kick into your symptom. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services