unhelpful doctors...

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

unhelpful doctors...

Postby animeemo3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 pm

How do I convincemy gp to give me stronger painkillers? I've explained several times that the ones he has prescribed me dont do anything. He prescribed me co codamol 8/500 x2 and codeine phosphate 15mg. This does absolutely nothing. I've even increased them myself (gradually) to co codamol 8/500 x2 and 60mg codeine and it barely takes the edge off. Im so tired of being in pain (to the point where I would stay in bed because it's too painful to get up, but I can't because im getting intense pressure pain) I dont know what to do, I think it's because im only 20. It's really impacting my mental health and all I want to do most days is cry. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here :(
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: unhelpful doctors...

Postby millymoodoo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi

I would seriously consider seeing another dr in your practise as its not good when you are in so much pain!!! But the last thing you should really be doing is increasing your codeine as you have actually doubled the amount you have been prescribed and you will end up running out before your next prescription is due and you will get horrible withdrawel problems. Codeine is highly addictive and if you are taking 60mg plus the cocodamol youa are overdosing on codeine which may cause long term problems. Like i say try and book in with another dr or change practise if need be but when you see your dr please tell him what you have done regarding increasing your codeine yourself in desperation to get your pain under control.

It could be worth asking your dr to refer you to the pain clinic!!! This was the best thing that happened to me and i am at a stage where my pain is manageable but i am on very strong painkillers and i take several. Have you been prescribed anything else for the pain ie amytriptilyne? Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia? Everybody is different and what is right for one person doesnt suit another so it is really trial and error, but i am sure with the right support you will find a combination that will help you with your pain!!!

Please, please get some help as this is something you cant deal with alone.

Take care :fingerscrossed: you get some relief soon!!!
Milly xxx :hugs:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi

I agree with Milly, although you are still in pain you should not double up on your meds because you are going to run out of meds 2 weeks early before your next prescription is due and you will start to get withdrawal affects as you gp will not give you any extra meds.

It can be dangerous taking that amount as well so best to go back to have a chat with your gp, i will put up a link with some other meds used to treat fibro maybe you would be better off to go one or a combo of meds to help you get the pain under control.

Many of us have to take a combo of meds to get to a level where we can cope with our pain so print off the list of meds and go through them with your gp, if you are not happy with your gp is there another one in your surgery who you could see? :goodluck1:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fatanne1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:29 pm

hi milly I cry everyday with my froppin fms at mo, I know what you mean about pressure when lying down nitemare, I couldn't take co codomol and tramadol made me so sluggish and drowsy I bumped my car, I take a 500mg of naproxen when pain realy bad, only allowed 3 a day, normaly dosage 250mg. I do try occassionly hot bath but embarrassing when I cant get out ha :shock: at night sometimes aswell I take some nitenurse irs for aches and pains and contains a mild sedative, I dnt take it too often as it tastes yukky :mrgreen: lol hope this is helpful. xxxx
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Please g back and see your doc again, it sounds like you are starting down the depression route (not surprising living with pain every day) and you might benefit from some help with that too. I wont repeat what the others have already said although I do agree with them, you need some proper long term help not being fobbed off, I also agree with trying to speak to a more sympathetic doc either in your present surgery or moving to another practice :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby animeemo3 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 pm

I get a whole new prescription every week and a bit, so I dont run out. My rheumy didn't diagnose me with fibro but my gp did (my rheumy had a very thick accent and we couldn't understand each other) I take amitriptyline at night (40mg) but that doesn't really help either. I dont think I can switch doctors, I tried before.
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:13 pm

I dnt think many gps are sympathetic to fm as a lot dnt believe but like denys says , you do sound a bit depressed which you are bound to be and frustrated, if you cant get another doc at your practice try another practice,, it is annoying im on a very bad flair at mo, worst and longest ever , I went to make an appointment with the only doc at my practice that has any belief in our condition ( she dxs me) and the earliest I can get in is 28th feb ,, ill have gone cuckoo by then :crazy: ive heard of a doc that actualy has it , got a bit excited thinking she will understand, and she cant deal with me or take me on cause out of area.. it would be great if we could carry our own medical records and choose to go to any doctor we want , bit like America.... amiltriplin is more for your sleeping you can take another one in the day for your fm and depression, I was given Prozac, at 1st stigma of taking them ddid put me off, but I have t o say a combination of the tw and painkillers got me through a 5 day break in new York which I could never have done, only reason I came off and tried a more natural approach was the weight gain which sounds petty but , very important to me..... :-)
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

ps very sory I addressed my last post to millie by mistake.. brain freeze you all know how it is lol
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 am

yup its probably why we dont always notice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby jo_jo789uk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi,

I'm 22 and I have been fighting with GP's for the past 3 or 4 years now.
I have all the symptoms of Fibro but instead of diagnosing me so that I can work on pain management etc, my GP just keeps giving me painkillers. I am going back to my GP once a week at the moment to try and get them to see that I need more investigations done so I can finally figure out what is going on, and if it isn't Fibro then maybe it is something treatable.

I have been on Co-Codamol for quite a while, then I was put onto Naproxen and I am currently taking Tramadol 50 mg.

I have been put forward for physiotherapy, which I had a year ago but didn't provide long term relief.

The pain and fatigue is affecting me at work and it is also affecting my studies (training to be a solicitor). It is also putting strain on my relationship because I keep feeling too unwell to do anything energetic, or I'm feeling too tired or down to really talk much.

To be honest I'm getting really frustrated with it now; ideally I'd like to know what is going on so that I can actually learn how to manage it, but at the moment my GP surgery just seems to be getting fed up of me instead of helping me.

Jo.
“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!”
― Jane Austen
jo_jo789uk
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Jo

Have you been seen by a Rheumy before? if your gp is being unhelpful ask them if you could be refereed to a Rheumy as they will be able to give you the diagnoses. That should get the ball rolling.

Has your gp been doing any tests? as fibro does not show up on any tests so other things have to be ruled out first, fibro tends to be last on their list.

The fatigue is the hardest to cope with especially when you work (dont know how you do it) i just have to go with it, i cant fight it.

For your pain have you tried a wheat bag (if you have a microwave at work) or try a Tens machine.

I hope physiotherapy will help. :goodluck1: :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby jo_jo789uk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 am

Hi there.

I have been asking to see a Rheumy for a while but no luck so far. I have had an xray of my neck and an MRI of my back. I have been treated for overactive thyroid a few months ago.
Work is a struggle but i dont really have a choice at the moment. My fiance is doing everything he can to find a job so I can cut my hours but until then we need my wages to pay bills. To be fair work have been quite understanding with it.
More than anything i feel frustrated- im not the kind of person who usually complains about illness- im very career and education driven but unfortunately this possible fibro has limited all that lately. If i knew it was fibro for sure, i could work out the best ways of managing it for me. Hence why i want doctors to start paying attention!
“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!”
― Jane Austen
jo_jo789uk
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services