Problem with a doctor

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Problem with a doctor

Postby tony321 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 pm

My first post here but I hope somebody can help, I have been in severe pain for nearly 2 years as well as suffering from depression and after being passed through various doctors I was referred to a neurologist and after more tests in December he diagnosed me as suffering from fibromyalgia and referred me to a rheumatologist.

I had my appointment with the rheumatologist yesterday and he has left me shellshocked, he totally refuted the fibromyalgia diagnosis and said I had a 'bad back' and said he would send me for an MRI and then treat it by way of injection.

The problem is that when I was first referred by my GP I had MRI's, scans, physio, went to a pain clinic before I was referred to the neurologist and now the rheumatologist wants to start this again when I already know that there is no problem as the test results and doctors have told me so.

The rheumatologist wouldn't listen to any talk of fibromyalgia despite this was what I was referred to him for and said he was right with what he was saying, he had a trainee with him and spent most of the time talking to him rather than listening to him which was a little concerning.

Now I don't know what to do, I am in severe pain and dosed up on painkillers and I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Many thanks.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Re: Problem with a doctor

Postby masonsbarms » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm

hi tony, it seems you were seen by a non believer,

if you are not happy i would go and have a chat with your gp,

tell them what has happend how its made you feel and that you are unsure that he listend to you properly and would value ther input and any help they can give,

also ask if you could see another as he was not entertaining the results of previous thest you have had.

unfortunatly there are still medical people out ther that done belive in fm

but you have the right to question them and get a second oppinion we sometimes have to fight to be heared.
dont worry with what he has said you know yourself how real your pain is.

hope you get to see a better dr in the future.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi Tony and :welcome: to the forum :wave: what a situation to be in :!: :!: :!: :!: If I were you I would go back to your doc and see where you can go from here, maybe go for the MRI and then when the results are clear maybe the rhuematologist will reverse his diagnosis :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi Tony :welcome: to the forum :wave:

Seems :crazy: how you are going to have to go through all the tests again it looks like this Rheumy is going to be a non believer of fibro.

Hopefully you have an understanding gp? When you have had the MRI and go back to see this Rheumy for the results see what he has to say then maybe mention to him why does he not agree its fibro when your gp & neuro have both said you have it.

:goodluck1: Keep us updated
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:36 pm

:welcome: to the forum tony :wave: :wave:

Sounds like you were seen by a dinosaur rather than a rheumy as unfortunately there are still some of them roaming the corridors of the NHS :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: It certainly is :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: sending you for repeat tests, esp as the original results will no doubt have been sent to the rheumy for them to see what had already been done and what your GPs findings were :-o :-o :-o

As has already been said, go back and talk to your GP about this, esp the attitude of the rheumy, maybe even see if there is a different one you could be referred to for an additional opinion about things :-? :-? :-? You could find a different one has a completely different attitude and approach. Not sure what could be done about the MRI, maybe your GP could help with that as well :-? :-? :-?

Stick with us and let us know how things progress, at the very least we can offer you plenty of support and you can bounce things around that are frustrating you thru all this :-? :-? :-?

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tony321 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks for all the help, will make an appointment with my GP (easier said than done !!!) and see what she says, the thing that baffles me is the neurologist diagnosed me as having FM after all the tests and now this rheumatologist wants to undiagnose.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi
Its stupid its does not make sense :facepalm: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tony321 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Just an update, went to my GP this afternoon and she was different again, listened to everything I said and was most reassuring. Has given me some medication to start to see if it helps and will be writing to the rheumatologist to ask for his explanations.

Feel a lot better mentally now , just wish I could feel better physically but at least I don't feel so alone now.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:04 pm

hi, toni glad you have had a better response hopefully you will get some relief from the medication.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby ROSE123 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 pm

I thought i was getting somewhere but my gp is a none believer and my last appointment with the rhumi was a waste of time it was a locum consultant so I went back to see my GP who put me on prozac even though he knew i had a bad reaction last year and it has happened again so not taking them. I don't know where to go now so can anybody tell me PLEASE can I insist on a second opinion with a different rhumatologist , getting no where with my GP ????? :yikes:
ROSE123
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi Rose123

Is there another gp in your surgery who you could go and see?
Finding a good gp makes a big difference when you have fibro as they are the ones who will be treating you. Tbh its not really worth you seeing another Rheumy imo as all they do once they have diagnosed you is refer you back into the care of your gp so its more important to have a supporting gp.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby hooplykim » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Sadly I think most of us FMS sufferers have had to deal with a few uncaring and dismissive medical people on our road to a diagnosis

I was only diagnosed in September after a couple of years of pain etc, I knew something was wrong I just didn't know what several, doctors came up with all sorts of things and the physio department more or less told me I would never improve if I didn't follow their exercises completely and basically just shrugged when I told them how sore everything was, needless to say I never went back

I finally got my diagnosis from my current GP who couldn't have been more helpful and went through loads of tests for me, and even now while I am struggling to find a suitable medication , she has never once made me feel like I am wasting her time and she always takes time to answer any questions and listens to everything I say.

Straight after I was diagnosed she sent me to the rhumy doctor just to double check there was nothing else underlying and he was an absolute joke, even tho my doc had put in the letter she had diagnosed me with FMS, he dismissed all that and proceeded to try and move my arms and legs about , he didn't even try the trigger points, there were 2 other student doctors in there and I was basically ignored, he then told me that the reason I was stiff is because I am not as active! I just turned and sort of went DUH!!!!??? He told me I needed to exercise more, I tried to tell him that if I could move about more I would! I used to go to the gym and kickbox and would give anything to be able to do that again, now going upstairs feels like climbing Mount Everest when I'm really sore

He also told me that the hairloss I was experiencing was due to stress, which it wasn't some more tests from my GP showed that it was a severe lack of iron and B12 that was causing that. It is such a shame there are so many medical people who dismiss FMS, but for every dinosaur, there is a doc like my GP, and I hope everyone can find someone that will help but also treat you like the person you are!
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services