Eye tests and charges/who gets them free for FM?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Eye tests and charges/who gets them free for FM?

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Hello, I started a thread recently regarding eye testing and somebody mentioned that with a medical condition that affects eyesight that the tests are free if done more frequently than the normal 2 years.
I spoke to an opticians today and there is only diabetes and glaucoma that can be tested more frequently than the statuatory two years and they did not know of other conditions that could justify or be named as a reason for free eye testing other than that.
Seems quite rubbish that if I sit at home and eat all the pies until I develop type 2 diabetes I can get free eye tests but if I am a size 10 or 12 and try to be healthy but have eyesight problems because of FM that I must 'pay' for my sins by coughing up for a deterioration in my vision. Actually, it plain sucks and I used to be obese myself so I can say that.
Still with the gabepentin and other meds having gaining weight as a side effect I guess those free eye tests are not so far away eh.
My bitterness aside are any of you in the UK getting more frequent eye tests and glasses because of FM ALONE and do NOT have diabetes or glaucoma in the background to justify the lack of charges.
Before you shoot me for being so unsympathetic about being fat.. I am facing spine surgery now because I carried the work load of the super morbidly obese and I might not have carried them literally but blow me, I might as well have.
Thanks.
Ribbons.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Re: Eye tests and charges/who gets them free for FM?

Postby loubie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 am

no we don't get free eye tests for fibro
we don't get free anything for fibro :roll:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby moomoos » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 am

Hi, it was me who said that....

I have had 3 eye tests and 3 vouchers for new prescriptions in the last year and my Optometrist told me that for conditions that cause sight problems like FM does they will give extra vouchers. I've had to pay nothing, only the extra cos I wanted frames this time that weren't within free nhs range.
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:47 pm

You can get free tests if you are on low income as well
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:12 pm

And being in receipt of certain benefits can mean you get free tests as well as hep with other charges such as dental fee and prescription costs.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:31 am

I am in reciept of benefits and do get free eye tests every 2 years but can the person who gets the eye tests more frequently free of charge please name the opthalmologist if its a chain or explain in more detail because my eye sight has deteriorated and I cannot afford more frequent testing and often the 'chains' are pretty ignorant and often it is those who have found themselves to be in need who have 'found enlightenment' so to speak. Please share your tips because I think not just me would benefit. Much appreciated.xx
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:33 am

Sorry my yearly eye tests are because of diabetes and I tend to get 2 pairs of free glasses as I need them for distance and near, have you thought of asking at your GP surgery????
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services