Everything blamed on fibro!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby lrgatrell88 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 pm

Just wanted to share my horrible experience that I've had this weekend.

On Thursday I slipped over walking the dogs. I hurt my arm and leg however on Friday morning I tried to bend over to pick a bag up from the floor and I heard and felt my back just 'crack'.

Luckily my mum was there to help. She called NHs direct to see what pain meds I could take as I'm pregnant. They said I needed an ambulance. 2 hours later the ambulance turned up. Paramedics were lovely to be fair.

Arrived at a&e. Was met by a awful doctor and a nurse who tried to give me diclofenac which I can't have with baby.
I ended up passing out and having some sort of fit with the amount of pain I was in. They completely ignored me when I told them how ill i felt.

Believe it or not it got worse. They found I had a kidney infection and gave me penicillin ( which I'm allergic 2). The doctors refused to look into my back pain because apparently it was my fibro.

I couldn't walk yet they tried to discharge me without examining me. Eventually after much complaint and the boyfriend practically carrying me while I cried with pain to the bathroom I was moved to a surgical ward.

Still not got to the bottom of the pain and was discharged today with a zimmer frame because I still can't walk unaided!

Why is everything blamed on fibro?!?!?
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Re: Everything blamed on fibro!

Postby moomoos » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:57 pm

omg that sounds awful you poor thing. Whats wrong with these people who work in these hospitals?????!!!!!!!!!! It just gets me so mad the way they treat people.

What the hell are you supposed to do now then?

Awwwwww feel really sorry for you. I dont know what you should do, or if there is anything you can do about the way you were treated? I dont have first hand experience of this sort of thing. But you need some help from someone somewhere. I guess you will have to go see your GP or an emergency GP as its Bank Hol tomorrow!

Really hope someone helps you xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am

OMG how awful!

How can they not once but twice try and prescribe you something that could harm you and your baby. I agree with moomoos though you do need to get some medical advice as problems with your back are really tricky and should not just be passed off, especially as you are pregnant.

Have you been able to see another doctor about this? I really hope you can get some answers and pain relief soon, I'm thinking of you!

As for blaming everything on Fibro I think that's just an easy way out of doing some actual work - a fall like yours would hurt anyone with or without FM.

Take care and please let us know how you get on.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Omg that is really bad :yikes: you poor girl :hugs: you are still in pain after going through all that and still have no answers :hit1:

Make sure you get lots of rest and if you can manage to get there go to see your gp. try a hot water bottle for your back or hot pads. Hope you recover soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm

hi this is bad put a complaint in right now and go back as many times as you feel the need to some drs just think we are soft and moan about anything ,

you have the right to proper care and you didnt get it coplain complain complain,

hope thigs settle down soon and you start to feel better.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:38 pm

I am at a loss for words, just awful. I hope you are feeling better.
Please let us know how you are feeling and if anything is being done about this
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Everything is blamed on the fibro!

Postby lrgatrell88 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi all.

On Friday I ended up in a&e after I had somehow managed to hurt my back while trying to pick a bag up from the floor. I felt something 'crack' and then couldn't move.

Luckily I was at my mums so she was there to help me to a chair. Eventually after an hour I was able to move just far enough to get a a comfortable seat. She called the NHs direct to ask what painkillers I could take as I'm pregnant. They wanted to send out an ambulance and 2 hours later one turn up!

By this point I'd almost passed out several times and was crying from the pain. Luckily for me the paramedics were fantastic and one of them had a friend with fibro so didn't blame it on that and realised something else was wrong.

The a&e staff weren't so good. As soon as they saw i had fibro they took the gas and air off me. Tried to give me diclofenac ( I can't take that during pregnancy) and then cocodamol. They left this 5 mins to work and then tried to examine me. Thank god my mum was there to stop them. I ended up passing out after telling them I was going to repeatedly and having some point of fit. The nurse didn't even notice that my pulse had gone up to 136! And apparently stood there while I was fitting. My partner had to call for help.

I ended up on a ward that put it down to fibromyalgia. At this point I couldn't use my legs properly. They didn't help me to the toilet to begin with ( the night staff were lovely). They tried to discharge me twice and were extremely rude and spoke to me like I was stupid.

I was then transferred to different wars when my mum refused to take me home after I almost passed out trying to get to the toilet.

On this ward I had 3 different consultants saying different thing. They think that i have managed to damage the connection between my hips and spine and ordered a urgent MRI and the pain team to see me. This never happened.

The next day ( Sunday) I saw a doctor that promised myself and the nurses ( they wanted to keep me in till tues) that a urgent referral had been made to the pain clinic but nothing has been done.

I'm now stuck at home with a very bored 6 year. Using a zimmer frame or wheel chair I I have to walk any distance of haven't got a wall or some1 to hold on to. Every1 has had to go back to work.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a hundred times better than I was but my legs still aren't working properly. I don't get why they can just dismiss me because I have fibro. I told them that my fibro has been under control for the past year and a half and you don't just have a flare up starting with ur back 'cracking' !!!

Sorry for the essay. I'm just so annoyed!
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 pm

As you'd made a very similar post on 31st March which has had some replies to the one you have made today, I've merged them both together to save on confusion and duplicated replies.

I really wish I could explain why you were subjected to the treatment you received :( :( :( Might it be worth contacting your local PALS people about how it has made you feel???
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lrgatrell88 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:16 pm

O sorry I didn't think it had gone through! Thank u. I'll look at the replies now. X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby lrgatrell88 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Thank you for the replies. Still nothing has changed. Had an antenatal appointment yesterday and the have referred me to some one to look at my back.

No referral was made by the doctor on the ward to a rhuemy or the pain clinic so had to sit in my doctors for an hour after already being in the hospital for over 3 to try and get a referral.

I'm not convinced that he will do something about it but will keep trying. Got the PALs details yesterday so will try and email them this evening if I get chance.

My mum told me to look up private MRI scans but the are ridiculously expensive and my mum can't afford it etc.

X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

Yes, I agree that the nhs tend to blame everything on fibro once your are diagnosed with the condition....I always say that even if my head was rolling off in the GP surgery, they still go to me, "oh well its your fibro or depression that causing it..." Keep fighting for your rights and don't allow the NHS to feel that they know everything, as they don't...Take care. xxx :!:
sjc
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services