Is this available in the UK?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this available in the UK?

Postby SteveB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi all. I'm new here. I came accross this today and I wondered if the test is available in the UK?

http://thefmtest.com/

Steve
SteveB
UKFM Newbie

Re: Is this available in the UK?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm

:welcome: to the forum Steve :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

The test isn't available here yet, if it's the one I think it is, that was mentioned a few months ago, it isn't widely available anywhere, and to buy it costs something like $700 upwards. I could be wrong on the price of course :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How long have you been part of the FM Club or are you still going thru the dx~ing process??
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby countyfan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi,

I remember it being mentioned a couple of weeks ago and yes FP it costs at the moment nearly 800 US dollars.
However, while reading the info on the website I found link to the article on the initial research, which reveals some very interesting findings.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6890/12/25- don't know whether it will work as a link but it was published in the Dec 12 issue of BMC Clinical Pathology. ;-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:15 pm

hi countyfan,

i tried the link and sorry it didnt work,

i wish we could go for a blood test and then we could shout it from the roof tops to all the douters and non believers.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby countyfan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Masonsbarms,
Sorry about that.

If you go to the OP link and look in the section on background, you can access the article from there.

I agree it would be beneficial to have a recognised blood test to confirm diagnosis but can't see it being licensed for use in UK anytime yet!

:roll:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby SteveB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote::welcome: to the forum Steve :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

The test isn't available here yet, if it's the one I think it is, that was mentioned a few months ago, it isn't widely available anywhere, and to buy it costs something like $700 upwards. I could be wrong on the price of course :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How long have you been part of the FM Club or are you still going thru the dx~ing process??

I have had symptoms since the 80s but was always told I had a virus. Diagnosed 4 years ago when symptoms got so bad that I can't walk and no longer work.
SteveB
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Interesting since they claim fibromyalgia, fibrositis, the chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyocitis are basically the same. If true perhaps there seems to be some serious progress in understanding these diagnosis.

These are the other threads but not much more there

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16495&p=173639&hilit=test#p173639

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16040&p=169280&hilit=test#p169280
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby perseus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 pm

here is a criticism

However, several leading fibromyalgia experts question the validity of the study and the test.

Dr. Daniel Clauw, director of the Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center at the University of Michigan, said these results are not consistent with results from previous studies, and would need to be replicated in other studies.

In addition, these cytokine findings may occur in people with other pain-related disorders, but this study doesn’t address that because it only compared those with fibromyalgia to healthy adults.

“We have no idea if these markers would be found in people with other illnesses,” said Dr. Fred Wolfe, director of the National Databank for Rheumatic Disease.

In a blog post responding to the marketing of the FM test, Wolfe wrote, “Cytokine levels are abnormal in many physical and mental conditions.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/2 ... z2VSmT0IrG

quite a good overview here as well

Unanswered Questions

This study and the resulting test are certainly interesting and potentially very exciting, but there remain some unanswered questions and concerns.

In the discussion portion of the study, it was noted, “Chronically depressed patients are characterized by higher pro-inflammatory cytokine blood levels and lower anti-inflammatory cytokine levels in blood, similar to what has been found in patients with chronic pain. Decreased IL-10, IL-1α and IFN-γ production by mitogen-stimulated PBMC was observed in depressed patients which correlated with our findings.” The question is, would this test be able to distinguish between depression, other chronic pain conditions and fibromyalgia?

Patients with any rheumatologic, autoimmune, immunologic, inflammatory, infectious or neoplastic disorder were excluded from the study. Would the test identify FM if a patient has another immunologic disorder as well?

Finally, we have to keep in mind that this was just one study. Studies need to be replicated before they they can be accepted as absolute scientific fact. Just a little over three years ago, we thought that the cause of ME/CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) was discovered when a study found the retrovirus XMRV in ME/CFS patients. A test to detect XMRV was quickly brought to market. Unfortunately, after many additional studies, the original findings were retracted.

Hopefully, this study and test will hold up to further testing that includes other cohorts in addition to healthy controls. Only time will tell.

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showar ... ibid=17919
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Doctors & Health Services