Doctor gave me the wrong prescription?!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Doctor gave me the wrong prescription?!!

Postby Lemonie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:18 pm

My rheumatologist gave me a hospital prescription to give to my GP. He put it in an envelope so I did as he said and gave it to my gp.

There is one doctor at the practice who I have never heard anybody say anything good about. He refused me antibiotics when I had Bronchitis once and I ended up at the walk in center in the middle of the night. Reason, because I smoked at the time. My hubbie who is NEVER ill went to him with a really bad chest infection and he told him it was old age and sent him away.

You get the picture ... I do not ever see this doctor.

I went to collect my prescription for my new meds which was for ...

Pregabolin 50mg .. noctural .. to be increased in 50mg increments every month if doesn't respond.
My prescription was made out for Gabapentin 300mg, 1 three times a day, increase by 1 tablet every 2-3 days. Maximum 12 tablets a day

I initially thought that Gabapentin was the generic for Pregabolin so didn't realise he had changed that but was sure the dose was wrong. Ended up having to have an emergency appointment with one of the docs who said the hospital prescription was hard to read. No it's not, I can read it from over here. She then said we usually use Gabapentin first so wouldn't you like to try that. I said no I would rather stick with what the rheumatologist had prescribed for me.

I don't think this was a mistake, I think he changed it because he thought he knew better.

I'm just glad I spotted it!
Lemonie
UKFM Member

Re: Doctor gave me the wrong prescription?!!

Postby shazq » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi
Did you get the right med in the end?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lemonie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Yes thanks. I came home and googled and I think it was a cost thing :roll: .. but I'm worth it :mrgreen:
Lemonie
UKFM Member

Postby columbia14 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 am

I would advise against using Gabapentin. The Doctor gave my husband this and it turned him in to a Monster! My husband is usually a mild mannered person but after being on these tablets for 3 months he had put his fist through the bathroom wall, burst into our noisy neighbours house and threatened to drown her and her yappy dog if they didn't stop the noise. I could no longer have a conversation with him as he blew at the least provocation then would sit in tears afterwards. I checked up on the net and a guy from America, who had never been in trouble with the law, was now looking at a Felony charge after being prescribed these tablets.

My advice "LEAVE WELL ALONE"
columbia14
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services