Go with ear infection and poor my heart out!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Go with ear infection and poor my heart out!

Postby kazisedso » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi everyone hope you are all ok and not in too much pain x

Had to go to see the nurse today, got really, really sore ear, swollen and itchy, not so much ear-ache, but very sore so thought id better get it checked.

Good job i did! i have a very bad outer ear infection, extremely swollen, so much so that the nurse could not see my eardrum :shock: :shock: , anyway, got it in both ears and now on drops...... whats this got to do with fibro i hear (pardon the pun) you ask.....

Well whilst i was there i brought up the fact that my mobility is next to nothing and could the nurse recommend how to get some crutches to help me walk when my back and hips and knees are really hurting.... she was lovely... wrote everything down and asked me what sort of problems i have been having....... that was it the tears just streamed down :cry: :cry: :oops: and i told her everything, how i was diagnosed with FM over a year ago and how i am progressively getting worse and worse and finding the mobility side of things hard to deal with and i desperately need something to help me walk around.....

I explained that i have had a total hysterectomy nearly three years ago and i am also on HRT and since then i have awful problems with my hips and joints..... have had pressure tests and blood tests done but not had any x-rays.... i think i need to have them done on my hips especially the right hip as i am in constant agony with it and id like it checked and not just brushed off as fibro....

Anyway, she is going to double check how they can help me with the crutches and she has organised a 20min appointment with my gp to voice all of my concerns re mobility and x-rays and bone scans etc....... it was so nice to let it all out and be believed.... she said that there are quite a few patients with fibro and that quality of life is greatly affected and needs to be addressed.....( how refreshing to hear that :-) )

I said to the nurse that i didn't want to come across as a moaning minnie, iv been to see my Gp numerous times over the last 3 weeks and he must be sick of seeing me..... she said no not at all, my gp is very familiar with FM and if i am having all of these difficulties he needs to know so that he can refer me on to the relevant depts.
It is nice to know that i can go and see the nurse and gp and be believed and listened to..... think i may have to have a permanent bed set up in the outpatients dept of my local hospital though, i am being referred to so many different consultants :crazy: :crazy:
But, i have go to say i do feel a lot better for getting this off my chest to the nurse, i feel like a weight has been lifted.

Here's hoping that the 20 min appt goes just as well with the gp.
Karen x
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: Go with ear infection and poor my heart out!

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

The squeky wheel gets the grease, LOL

I am sorry to hear about your bad ears, that sounds wrong. I am happy you got it sorted.

You were right to talk to the nurse about your situation. Look at what is getting done for you. It was also good to let everything out. When things just happen and we break down like you did the Dr can see how genuine you feel. I hope they recommend a walker rather than crutches for you. With the crutches you may find it hard on your back and shoulders if you use them quite a bit. With the walker you can lean on it and sit down when necessary. That is just my experience.

Whatever you get I hope you find some comfort. I also have bad hips, back and knees.

Don't be embarrassed about having a good cry with the Dr or anyone. I did the same thing a month ago after getting some results from tests, I felt a weight had been lifted.....good luck!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: Go with ear infection and pour my heart out!

Postby kazisedso » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:26 pm

OMG i have just read the subject title.... The fog must have descended..... putting poor instead of pour!!! :shock: :shock:

Thanks whoami for your reply hun, it really does help to get things off your chest on here and to a lovely health professional who understands some-what :-D
I have been holding my emotions in for far too long and the poor nurse got it full throttle.... needed to be done though!!

i just hope i can go to gp and explain myself a bit better to him than i have been doing.

Iv asked for crutches but my wrists cause me a great deal of pain so really don't know what the solution will be.... will have to wait and see what get's said :!:

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Glad you had a good appointment, sometimes all it takes is a moments kindness from someone else to open the flood gates so :goodluck1: with the appointment with your doc, now its all in motion the help you need shouldnt be very far away :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Its strange how one kind word can just cause the flood gates to open, so glad the nurse was sympathetic and understood your needs , sometimes no matter how many times you go you just don't feel comfortable to let it all out but as you have found it can make you feel so much better, when you do.
good luck with the drops and hope you ears return to normal soon. also hope you manage to have a good chat with your GP on you rnext appointment , write everything down before you go and then you won't forget it in the heat of the moment.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby welshwolverine1969 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:08 pm

I am so glad that the nurse was able to help you ....I have bad hips knees back and feet lol but I feel that it is falling on deaf ears in my drs the last time I went and said my back was killing me she said she had a bad back x
welshwolverine1969
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm so glad your nurse gave you the time to tell her exactly how you are feeling. I think sometimes if they can see how upset you are they will actually take you seriously and realise how much everything is getting to you. I have been on the verge of tears a couple of times recently with my GP but have held back as he is not the kind of doctor you can get emotional with. He is very good, and very nice, but also very detached and business-like. Perhaps I shouldn't hold it back next time and see what happens!

On the subject of crutches, I fell down the stairs a couple of months ago and sprained both ankles. They wanted me to have crutches in A&E but I couldn't use them as it hurt my hands/wrists too much.

I would still pursue the referral, but be prepared to ask for an alternative if you find the crutches too much.

Good luck with your GP.
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi all, just a quick update,
The nurse I saw the other day has well and truelly got the ball rolling
I am being referred to a physiotherapy unit to have a complete mobility assessment!
She spoke to my GP as I have to be referred by him,and he said that I can be referred for all the help I need!!!
Wow!! I am blown away!
It's going to take 2-3 wks but what a relief.... For me and my Husband.
Apparently the physio and the OT will work together to try and get me sorted.
Fingers crossed it all goes well.
Thanks to all of you who replied.
Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:25 pm

That's brilliant news! :lol:

So pleased for you! :lol:
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Karen, good for you. I paid to pour your heart out. I always figure if you are honest about everything then things will get done. X
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services