At the end of my tether

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

At the end of my tether

Postby angeldidmoo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Hiya I haven't posted on here before just been observing in the background.
I was diagnosed with FM and TMJD just before Christmas but have had chronic daily headaches for 4 years along with the fatigue, joint pain, tender points etc. I had the headaches checked out a couple of years ago with a great GP who did loads of blood tests and referred me to a Neurologist. I had an MRI which was normal and all the blood tests. Then I got the " Don't know what else to do "
So I carried on struggling for a few years without medical "help" and changed my diet and lost 2 stone (down to a size 16) and it made no difference to the pain.
Last March I had horrendous ear pain and decided to go to the doctors, referred to ENT and diagnosed with TMJD.
A couple of months ago I saw a different GP. He sent me on loads of blood tests a couple of weeks ago as I explained I'd had some done before and was then cut loose when there is no obvious answer. He was really nice and listened. Suggested de-stressing and losing weight (I put back what I'd lost previously, back to size 20). He said he would refer me on once we had the results.
Just spoken to my GP who said all my blood test results can back normal which means he isn't going to refer me to a Rheumotologist and I'm back to square one.
He pointed out I do have 4 kids and I'm over weight so maybe if I found a way to de-stress and relax and lost some weight, that may help.
I responded that I had lost 2 stone since the headaches and that made no difference, I've had to half my working hours to 10 a week and that's made no difference and I've cut other things out too and guess what....no difference.
I said, yet again, I've had a GP who has been great and thorough with tests and investigations yet when the "normal" results come back, they give up.
I still have the constant pain but no one is suggesting anything new and I'm completely fed up with it.
Taking my life has been in my thoughts a great deal. What do I have to do to get something done?!?
Sorry for the rant, I've just had enough :cry:
angeldidmoo
UKFM Newbie

Re: At the end of my tether

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:13 pm

For me i had been seeing my GP with severe neck pain and TMJ symptoms and my back was constantly going into spasm yet all bloods showed up OK and so anxiety was put down to the cause of the symptoms.
It was only until i started getting tingling and numbness down my arms that when i called NHS direct they wanted to send out an ambulance :-? i explained that i knew it wasnt a heart attack and not to and i would call my GP.

Another GP i have never seen about my symptoms called back as i had explained the NHS wanting to send an ambulance and he thought i may have a trapped nerve going on in my neck and to get seen *quickly* he sugested i pay for a one off assessment (chiropractor/physio or oesteopath) and get them to send in a report of there findings so i could then be quickly refered onto NHS physio to be assessed again :roll:

I saw a chiropractor who said he had never seen a back so stiff in all is career :shock: and this was the cause of the tingles etc...

He wrote to my GP he then sent me to the physio and i only waited 2 weeks instead of the 6 month waiting list at the time :shock: and my physio after numerous sessions sugested i may have fibromyalgia and so she wrote to GP and then i was refered to a Rhumatologist.

If i hadnt of paid for the one off assessment i would have been caught up in circles for a long ole time so even tho its expensive its well worth it.

Nowadays these professionals are (should be) clued up on fibro.

Fibros have chronic stiffness widespread and they should be able to see / feel this and also check for any tender points if you say you feel its fibro.

Apart from that its putting your case strongly to the GP like i had to with my daughter. The GP should and know how to test for trigger points/tender areas and stiffness if they suspect fibro.

Fibro does not come out in bloods which is why GP's send you to a rhumi with the widespread of symptoms and nothing else showing up on tests.

Its easy to dismiss fibro as stress/anxiety and depression as all of these mimick that of fibro.

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Doctors & Health Services