My 1st visit to pain clinic?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My 1st visit to pain clinic?

Postby Gizmo01 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I have had this flare up for 6 months and docs tried me on all pain killers and I've had a injection in my shoulder it helped for about a week then loads of pain again and I'm on sleeping tablets to get some sleep and tramadol but now they are sending me to the pain clinic and I don't know what to expect as doc said he's tried all pain killers? So how is the pain clinic going to help me? I am getting so fed up with living like this! I know that I've got to learn to live with this but its getting so hard :( xx
Gizmo01
UKFM Member

Re: My 1st visit to pain clinic?

Postby denys » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:11 pm

I know its hard, but try to go with an open mind. It might well work for you and if not then at least you've tried :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you get something out of it
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Otter65 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi

I was diagnosed just over a year ago and my GP has also suggested I be referred to a pain clinic but it could be upto 6 months before I might be seen :yikes:

Instead he suggested an online course on Self Management of Chronic Illmess, its run though the NHS website by a company called EPP

link http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/

you are on the course with 20 - 25 other people to give help and advise as you work though the course, I/m on week 3 of six and its giving me some good coping stratagise

Hope this Helps

:bear-dancing: :goodluck2:
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby vetnurselise » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi all
I undiagnosed chronic pain for over 4 years & nothing was working - got referred to INPUT Pain Management Course Feb/March 2013. Just to be on a room with 8 other people & not be judges was great.
I did have a long wait to get onto course & ended up on slightly reduced meds but it will not take your pain away it will help give you the tools to help you manage your pain.
Its basically all about coping, pacing, being mindful, stretching & as I said meeting other people in pain too.
I have since got my diagnosis so I have FM, EDS III, MAV & BPPV.
Also these support groups have been helpful too - I would perhaps suggest that online groups may not be the way to go?!
x
vetnurselise
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:18 pm

vetnurselise wrote:Hi all
I would perhaps suggest that online groups may not be the way to go?!
x

Sometimes it isn't possible for someone to be able to physically attend such a course. In such cases, the online versions can make a huge difference to them in giving them access to the tools, strategies and support that they need. I have anxiety problems, so attending a course with others is an absolute nightmare. Given a choice, the online option would be the preferable choice for me.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Gizmo01........give the pain clinic a chance. I have been to 4 different ones . Why so many.....I went to a couple through the workers compensation claim I had and others at local hospitals. EverythingI was taught has helped in some way......relaxation therapy, excercise program (light), various injections and blocks, there are trigger point injections and various blocks. One injection alone will not work, they are given in a series. Also coping skills and medication plans. We are all differentso will not have the same results. Don't dismiss the pain clinic so quickly.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services