GP visit - waste of time :o(

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: GP visit - waste of time :o(

Postby suecam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Oh dear it's such a fight which is draining what little energy we have when fighting GP's and hospitals. Fortunately I have a good GP and about 3-4 yrs ago he reckoned I had fm and I've not long had it confirmed by a consultant. Apparently lots of things cause it, most of which I have plus breast cancer too. I'm taking huge doses of codeine phosphate, amitriptyline, diclofenac, nefopam, pregabalin and calcichew! The consultant stopped the paracetamol saying it was neither use nor ornament! I'm waiting to have my shoulders injected with anaesthetic (I've already had two years of steroid injections but they had no effect.) I'm also waiting to use the hydrotherapy pool at the hospital. Over the last two weeks I've had a real dip with pain and nothing is touching it, now I have sore wrists and thumbs..I'm really struggling at the moment and I don't think family know what to do..I know 'friends' don't understand. I hope you find the help you need, keep at the GP and good luck!xx
suecam
UKFM Member

Postby lalondon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi picklepudding, I sympathise with you, we have a very frustrating disease/illness. I too, have IBS and take Citaolpram and I also take Amitriptyline and this was advised by both my wonderful Rhuematologist and agreed by my GP. I don't seem to have any problems using both. I also take Etodolac for my arthritis and Tramadol for the pain when it becomes unbearable. I do agree with your GP that exercise is a good way forward. I walk most days, I started just doing short walks for maybe 5 mins or so and have now built up, on a good day I can probably do about 40 mins. I do find that it's pretty tough to start with but I just try to keep walking through the pain, I go at a fairly steady pace on relatively flat terrain.

Also I wanted to add (for the benefit of one of your replies, sorry I've forgotten their name!!), that I too had to have a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed in my 30's. I have to have a bone density scan as a matter of course every five years and to my knowledge this is standard practise. I see the menopause clinic at my local hospital annually and they are great. I think I must be very fortunate as the health professionals I see are all supportive, understanding and very helpful.

I wish you both good luck and suggest that maybe chasing up the hospital and contacting your Rhuemy's secretary and changing GP's would be a good way to start getting better help.

Sending love light and gentle hugs
lalondon
UKFM Newbie

Postby Picklepudding » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks Lalondon...My GP looked up amitriptyline's interaction with citalopram and it showed on his computer with a big red triangle against it...I think he said that it causes arythmia (or something like that!)

I've emailed him re the Vitamin D dose and he has replied (very quickly, I have to say!) that if I can take enough tablets to make 20000iu for 7 days then that's what I should do. So, 20 tablets a day it is then!!!
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Picklepudding wrote:So, following my rheumy visit, I was referred back to the GP to get medication sorted. What a complete and utter waste of time. Firstly, I needed to get Vitamin D supplements. According to the advice that he has got, my levels were in the lowest bracket so needed the highest supplementation. The recommendation was 20,000u per day for 7 days followed by 800u per day after that. He decided that the highest amount he could prescribe was 800u and that you can buy supplements for 400u from Holland & Barrett so he wouldn’t prescribe any. So, at 400u I would have to take 50 tablets per day! He said that was ridiculous, so has told me to take 10 tablets per day totalling 4000u and told me to stand in the sun with no sun block – I told him I can’t as I burn very easily and, anyhow, what sun???!!!!

So, I then asked him what I could take for the fibro. ‘Nothing’ was his answer. I can’t take amytriptyline as it interacts with the citalopram that I’m taking for IBS and I don’t want to stop taking that. I asked if there were any painkillers I can take…’No’. He said that if I really want to take painkillers, ibuprofen is as good as anything…I can’t take Ibuprofen as I have Crohn’s. My ‘only option’ is exercise. He said that he’d one read some research on fibro that said that exercising a muscle to exhaustion (i.e. repeating an exercise on a particular muscle until it is physically not capable of doing any more) has been proven to help people get over fibro quicker. So, I have to start gentle exercise and build it up until I’m exercising very hard. There were no suggestions to help me get through the Florida holiday.

I’m feeling very deflated and worried for the future if I literally have been told I have no options. I feel a little bit alone with it all really.

Hi
I have crohns,ibs & fibro and over the yrs i have been on many strong painkillers and antidepressants at the moment my painkillers are Tramadol.
If you see your G.I for your crohns you could ask them about pain meds but i would go back to your gp and keep asking for something for fibro. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Bevmraw, Also had hysto and put on HRT. Had a very good consultant who I saw at his HRT clinic for 10 years after surgery and at various times I raised concern about using HRT for years and also osteoporosis etc.
He said reason I was on HRT was to stop osteoporosis etc and that as I had no normal female hormones the use of HRT was OK long term as I was using it as a replacement for my natural production & for the years my body would normally use and need it.
All scare stories etc had been for folk who hadn't had surgery and were using HRT to ease symptoms of menopause.
Hopefully one less thing to worry about :-)
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby MPSGuy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Picklepudding wrote:So, following my rheumy visit, I was referred back to the GP to get medication sorted. What a complete and utter waste of time.

So, I then asked him what I could take for the fibro. ‘Nothing’ was his answer. I can’t take amytriptyline as it interacts with the citalopram that I’m taking for IBS and I don’t want to stop taking that. I asked if there were any painkillers I can take…’No’. He said that if I really want to take painkillers, ibuprofen is as good as anything…I can’t take Ibuprofen as I have Crohn’s. My ‘only option’ is exercise. He said that he’d one read some research on fibro that said that exercising a muscle to exhaustion (i.e. repeating an exercise on a particular muscle until it is physically not capable of doing any more) has been proven to help people get over fibro quicker. So, I have to start gentle exercise and build it up until I’m exercising very hard. There were no suggestions to help me get through the Florida holiday.

I’m feeling very deflated and worried for the future if I literally have been told I have no options. I feel a little bit alone with it all really.

Wow, and I thought my doctors surgery was full of arrogant quacks. At least mine do appear to care and are willing to prescribe basic pain relief!

I would suggest changing doctors as it sounds like this one isn't interested in your case or just doesn't appreciate how difficult widespread chronic pain is to live with.

Things like Ibuprofen and other related medications (aspirin, diclofenac,Naproxen,etc) can cause serious stomach issues long term and are he shouldn't be recommending them if you have Crohns anyway. Not to mention the fact that they don't actually work because they are an anti-inflammatory and there is little or no inflammation in fibromyalgia.

Exercising the muscles until exhaustion is a very BAD idea. What you should be doing is as much gentle exercising as possible; walking, swimming, cycling. Regular stretching and relaxation with something like Tai Chi or mindfullness meditation may help.

There are lots of medications that can help with nerve pain and pain in general. What would be suitable with your current medications and health conditions I don't know, but for him to say there is nothing is just a lie. To list a few: Pregabilin, Gabapentin, Duloxetine, Baclofen.

For straight out pain killers there is of course Paracetamol and the stronger ones like Co-codamol (paracetamol+codeine in varying strengths), Co-Dydramol (paraceamol+dihydrocodeine) and Tramadol. After that there are the really powerful ones like Morphine and buprenorphine, but few people require these.

Amitriptyline does interact with many antidepressant medications like citalopram because it is an antidepressant itself. However, Amitriptyline is usually prescribed at a tiny dosage for pain, so it may be possible to mix the two. I would seek a second opinion on that. Alternatively it might be worth coming off the citalopram so you could try the amitriptyline or something like duloxetine, both of which are antidepressants AND have been shown to help with pain.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby Carlylion » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Just want to add a wee bit here, I was visiting a GP who told me to exercise, well I did, 30 mins of walking a day, then one day about 2 weeks after I pushed myself like the GP advised. Well I cut the grass, strimmed the garden, put a load of washing on....I felt fine. I had a rest in the afternoon but only because it was warm dark and I was up early.

I then spent the whole night shaking, feeling nauseous, going from hot/cold and thinking I was coming down with the flu or food poisoning. Apparently this was the reaction that gave me the diagnosis of Fibro. I joined my local Hydrotherapy pool and I have apparently been doing too much. Google 'Boom & Bust', and pacing.

It was an older GP who gave me my diagnosis, the one who told me to exercise was not much older than me. Hope that helps xx
Carlylion
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Picklepudding wrote:So, following my rheumy visit, I was referred back to the GP to get medication sorted. What a complete and utter waste of time. Firstly, I needed to get Vitamin D supplements. According to the advice that he has got, my levels were in the lowest bracket so needed the highest supplementation. The recommendation was 20,000u per day for 7 days followed by 800u per day after that. He decided that the highest amount he could prescribe was 800u and that you can buy supplements for 400u from Holland & Barrett so he wouldn’t prescribe any. So, at 400u I would have to take 50 tablets per day! He said that was ridiculous, so has told me to take 10 tablets per day totalling 4000u and told me to stand in the sun with no sun block – I told him I can’t as I burn very easily and, anyhow, what sun???!!!!

There is only a moderate interaction between citalopram and Pregabalin/Lyrica the latter should be far better than Ibuprofen.

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/ ... -2171.html

Perhaps you could discuss that with your GP, or use a different set altogether, there must be better combinations?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Previous

Return to Doctors & Health Services