Why do some Doctors not understand all of Fibromyalgia?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Why do some Doctors not understand all of Fibromyalgia?

Postby katz65 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Hello
I hope everyone is looking after themselves in this HOT weather!!

I ask this question because I feel although my GP knows the basic's of fibro, he doesn't really understand it at all, for example the fibro fog, he did a memory test on me & after said I was okay, so I left defated. When ever I talk about the pain he always tells me to do more light exercise but I tried this & found I am worse off. It is so hard to know what to do when not only family/friends or strangers don't know what it is like but you'd think you would get understanding from your GP. I tried to tell him I have had times when my partner has had to help me dress/wipe my bottom(which is so embarrasing) to get up & down the stairs & other things, but its like it goes in one ear & out the other, I so so wish I had a doc that would listen & care.
What also worries me is that I have applied for DLA ( called PIP now I think) & they will be asking him about me & I don't think he will help my cause at all...
Does anyone think I should ask the doc for a referral back to the Rhumatologist who I had to see to confirm I had Fibro, who I only saw once & then he wrote to my GP confirming me back to him with the diagnosis, maybe if I up dated him on how things were for me now I would get some understanding of the situation? Or am I wasting my time with thoughts like this?

One other thing while I am on the subject of doctors, I was wandering if anyone has found wounds not healing properly & getting infected. I have had surgical cuts from 3 different operations & had them go infected, now recently just over a month ago I had 2 teeth removed on two separate occasions & both times ended up with them infected. SO I wandered if it was just me or if this something due to fibro??

Look after yourselves
Luv Katz65 xx
katz65
UKFM Member

Re: Why do some Doctors not understand all of Fibromyalgia?

Postby masonsbarms » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 pm

hi, the trouble is that older drs never covered fm at med school and even the younger ones were only told the basics,

i have a great gp now and he dose all he can to help me he has said that nobody has got to the bottom of it and they need to spend more on it but because it dosent kill us thats if you dont include all those who have took there own lives as a result of fm.

my gp treats each symptom as they come as he cant give me a fix all pill .

as for going back to the rhumy i was the same passed back to gp i think its because ther is little they can do in there field.

try another gp and dont blame them if they dont know all as it isnt there fault its the years of ignorance about fm and hopefully the day isnt far away when there will be a breakthrough.

i know how many people have had awful times with gps but sometimes i feel that if they cant make yoy better they have faild so they dont want to bother with us and our many variaties.

as for the pips form ask to see what he has on your records regarding your struggle as i have heared that some drs dont even put it on record.

i hope you get on ok

cant help with the other part sorry.

tale care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby katz65 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Thank you masonsbarns
Reading your post has helped me & I will certainly ask to see what is written on the doc's files for me.
It is good to see your reason for the lack of doctors understanding, there is a new doc now so I may try seeing her then.
Thanks again xx
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 pm

hi, hope you get on better with her ,

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm

The doctors in my surgery have been fine up to a point (there is one who I don't use as I think she is in the "its all in your head /lose some weight " area of understanding).
Anyway , I also had difficulty feeling that they didn't understand how the symptoms affected me on a daily, weekly or even occasionally basis and so with the help of a friend & OH I made a list of every symptom I had over the last 3 months .( i talked /they typed ) Beside each symptom I made a note of how it had affected my life style and an example of when this had occured .

I took it with me to my next review appointment and used it as an aide memoir however my GP asked to keep the list and I later learnt that he has had it scanned and put on my personal NHS file. This was very useful when my work was asking for information on how my current health problems would affect my ability to do my job.

Trying making a list of sympotms even for your own records (good for filling in all the various forms we have to do ) and then take it with you to your new GP appointment.
Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby katz65 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi Iceskatemum.

I have read your response & I certainly will try your advice on making a list of my symptoms, that is a very good idea.

So thank you very much x
katz65
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services