Prescription charge exemption

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Prescription charge exemption

Postby macca » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:53 am

So heres a question guys, has anyone managed to secure an exemption from prescription charges as a result of FM?

Mrs Mac has always been liable for prescription charges and she buys a pre-pay prescription card which in itself is a god send given the rediculous amount of medication that she's prescribed.

We picked up an application form from the GP surgery for prescription exemption and completed that on the basis that her physical disability is such that she does not go out alone.

So thats gone into the GP and the receptionist told me the GP is looking into it. So this will be interesting as the GP was instrumental inhaving mrs mac referred for an ultimate diagnosis of FM, and fully supported her application for ESA Support Group through meeting the mobilising descriptor, but ...... He can also be unpredictable as he would not refer her for a walking frame and so we had to pursue a different route for that.

Watch this space eh ... nothing ventured and all that.
macca
UKFM Member

Re: Prescription charge exemption

Postby Graciebaby » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:30 am

As you say, the amount of meds we Fibro sufferers have prescribed would cost a fortune if we didn't buy a pre payment certificate, but the certificate itself is expensive!
I wish you luck in attempting to get support from your GP with this and hope you are successful.
Please do post and keep us updated about how you get on. Info from you regarding this matter could be extremely useful to many of us :-)

G.
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 am

The frustrating thing is that Fibro in itself will not justify an exemption. The only possibility is that the GP accepts that the knock on physical disability is such that Mrs Mac doesn't go out alone anymore, and she doesn't.

On her prescription she's upto around 33 pills a day now and swallows peptac like its milkshake.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:16 am

I have Diabetes so got exemption for that sorry
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Diane64 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

In scotland we now dont pay for our prescriptions, thank goodness because it would cost me a fortune for my medication although would have purchased the pre payment certificate if had to, but shocking you cant get an exemption for this illness with the amount of meds some people have to take daily.. :-?
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby E-Bunny » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:26 pm

I am not sure about Fibro for free prescriptions, I already have an exemption card as I have epilepsy !

I hope that the application is accepted for you as I think that anyone on long term medications should be made exempt, no matter what their illness or disability. The reason epilepsy sufferers are exempt is because it is something that will need medication for life ! This is the same for most Fibro sufferers so surely the exemption should cover that too.

Sending hugs, and hope all goes in your favour

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby Youngone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi,
I'm another lucky one? After removal of colon (3 major ops within 12 months) Prescription charge exemption granted after 1st op as ostomy appliances and ancillaries needed for life. FM started after 2nd op, just as well that all meds covered or I'd be bankrupt by now ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free. FM/CFS 10 years, extreme allover pain managed by Durogesic 50mcgh patches, Venflaxine 75mg twice daily, Paracetamol 100mg up to four times a day and Oramorph for breakthrough pain as required.
Nigel
Ileostomist with FM & Osteo Arthritis in Back & Hips as a bonus.
Keep fighting and smiling.
Youngone
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services