Pain Clinic

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Clinic

Postby Otter65 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:35 am

Hi

I've been referred to a pain clinic to see if they can help with the management of my pain levels. I have finally got an appointment though but not sure what to expect at the first appointment.

As I have good days and bad days i'm worried that if im having a good day they want take me seriouly

Has anyone been to one recently who could give me an idea what to expect

Sarah :crazy:
Otter65
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Clinic

Postby Lottebo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Sarah.
I went to one in London some years ago and they are amazing. Finally you get someone who understands you and know what you are talking about. I burst in to tears because it was such a relief not having to defend yourself or be misunderstood.
The best thing was that they got me on a Painmanagement course which helped a lot. You meet other people there who has some sort of chronic pain and they teach you how to manage your pain the best so you can live a "normal" life.
Another good thing is that once you are in the system you can selfrefer yourself if you need more help. No need to go back to your GP first.
Don't be worried about your appointment but look forward to it. They know all about good days and bad days and just want to help you have as many good days as possible.
Good luck and all the best.
Charlotte
Lottebo
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi

Thanks, hopefully it will be ok I was just a bit concerened as a friend of mine had told me that she knew someone that had gone to one and had been told as they werent in constant pain they couldn't help them as they only had funding for the most serious cases :crazy:

Sxx
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Otter, there are many many mentions of pain clinics across the boards, if you type it into the search box in the top right hand corner of each page, it should throw up all references to it which should hopefully help you with some answers.

From what I can recall about what has been said on here about there are considerable differences in what is available from area to area. Some provide access to a whole range of services and treatments, whereas others offer access to a smaller number of options.

The sort of things you available can incl access to non~med type treatments such as acupuncture and/or hydrotherapy, access to help with the psychological side of the condition, as well as advice relating to meds.

I've also been referred to the pain clinic in our area, so am waiting to hear from them as well.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby clubsound4 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi I am going through the system now, initially I was seen at my first appointment by a doctor, a psychologist and physio,, the doctor asked a few questions about my health and how my condition affected me, how it can change day to day,she prescribed some tablets and a phone number for a pain nurse if I had any probs, then the physio asked me some questions and the psych, you are not gonna do anything you cant they are very nice and understand completely, this appointment was 4 weeks ago I am now under physio and she gave me some gentle stretch exercises but was understanding when one involved getting on the floor lol!! I go back in 2 weeks and all in all they are very very helpful,nothing to be worried about honest :-D
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 am

Hi thanks for all the advice feeling a lot more posotive about the appointment and what I could get out of it

Thanks
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby klara007 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 pm

This is very useful for me
klara007
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services