Pain clinic so disappointing :(

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain clinic so disappointing :(

Postby Clarebear » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:44 am

Hi,
I was diagnosed in march after years of having symptoms. My main problem is facial/jaw pain. I have been seeing an oral surgery consultant for a long time and he's tried various things. I take amitripyline 25mg, lyrica 150 mg twice daily, tramadol and cocodamol as needed.
I had an appointment at pain clinic last week as my meds aren't controlling the 'nerve' pain. I had myself all set for them to get me sorted with better medication. After talking to the dr I was told I was on all the meds they would recommend already! Other opiates would make me too sleepy. I explained I get episodes where nothing I take works and I'm in agony but still they suggested nothing. Don't know what to do now!?? :(
Clarebear
UKFM Newbie

Re: Pain clinic so disappointing :(

Postby denys » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:14 pm

Go back to your docs and explain it all again to them, if they cant help with medication maybe they could help with one of the talking strategies they can help with coping mechanisms which might help :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:43 pm

What a bummer :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: The differences between each areas Pain Management Services seems to get wider and wider :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Like Denys, all I can suggest is going back to your GP and see what other options there may be available to you. Amitriptyline is said to help with nerve, maybe you could discuss a change in its dosage and/or changes to your Lyrica dosage if there is some room for manoeuvre in the amounts you're currently at to see if it could help. You could also ask about non~med treatments, such as acupuncture or a TENs machine, as they can help some of us.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Clarebear » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:16 am

Thank you. I think I will go back to my gp and ask what now? I thought going to pain clinic would be great.....maybe I was expecting too much? :(
Clarebear
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:57 am

Its understandable to expect something positive and when that doesnt happen it can be crushing, dont give up there has to be something out there that will help even if its just a little :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibro-lu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:40 pm

in my experience pain clinics work more with alternative help like

CBT,
graded excersie,
relaxation technics,
talks about understanding how pain works
etc, which is actually great,
they might even have one talk about different medications, how they work etc
this is where i learned that paracetamol is the first tab to take and somehow the combo with Tramadol works well
surprised that paracetamol is actually sold at supermarkets fully knowing how "dangerous" and habit forming it is
in other countries your GP either prescribs pain meds or you are not having any
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby SuzyVB » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:16 pm

I go to a pain clinic that looks at graded exercise and CBT etc and they've also recommended I get referred to a pain clinic that looks at the medication side of things. So I think there are two clear types.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:24 am

Over the 23 years I have been to a few pain clinics. Some do specialize in one area of treatment, such as the injections/blocks.
I would suggest asking your Dr to refer you to an alternate one.
Pain clinics have taught me relaxation skills, exercise programs set up to my ability, medication plans and nerve blocks, trigger/tender point injections.
They also set mu up with a psycologist to help deal with the mental issues such as guilt that goes along with fibro or any chronic illness.
Give pain clinics another chance you could benefit from their help.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services