Pain management clinic

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain management clinic

Postby BlueBerry » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Howdy all

Been a while since I've been on and since then so much has happen I have just been to my first pain management clinic and wow it was so scary 3 women in a room. I am little upset by it all going thought my when my pain started to how I live my life which is total boring nothing much happens and taken to many naps.

I've got go back on 22 and think about what I think will help me with my pain , what type treatment will help me ect. I feel like I am trapped at the min.

I just hope this help me some way cope with pain , try use less medication and Oh a goal I want work on is to draw again :-D :-D :-D

Anyone else been to pain management does it work or help Fibromyalgia ?
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Re: Pain management clinic

Postby denys » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Blueberry, I think people have had different levels of usefulness from pain clinics but in my opinion, if you go into it with an open mind and you seem to have done this already by thinking about a goal you would like to achieve, then you may get more out of it.

I think maybe having a goal to work towards will mean that you give everything they suggest a chance and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: they will find something that helps you start to draw again :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:16 pm

I've recently been seen by Pain Management Blueberry, and came out of my assessment feeling very much like you've described :( :( :( I'd also got a huge dollop of :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: topping it off as I couldn't remember a lot of the course~type things I'd been on and if OH hadn't been with me, it would have just seemed like there hadn't been anything done to try and help with things, when in fact I've done a lot more stuff than I realised :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Rather than having to go away to think about the sort of treatments I might be interested in trying and a goal to work towards, then going back for another appt, it was all covered during my assessment.

As I've been wondering about acupuncture for a while, that has gone down as one of the things I'm going to try. I'm also going to be assessed by the physios to see where I can be helped with things like exercising, posture and good old pacing, as well as attending the Pain Management Program they run :yikes: :yikes:

Strangely, the thing I'm dreading the most is the Pain Management Program as it is a group session run over a number of weeks. It's not the fact that it's run over a number of weeks that is bothering me tho, it's being in a group, even tho it will only be about 5 or 6 people, that has me really :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: as these days I find being even in a small group an ordeal :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: They know about my worries and anxiety issues tho and have said we'll see how it goes, but if need be, I can see one of their counsellors/therapists to work on the anxiety side of things to see if it can help with doing the Pain Management Program.

Your goal of drawing again is a nice one to work towards, you could even end up with a series of piccies that show just how far you have got with it :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I originally said that I wanted to learn to dance for my goal, but, from what I've found locally, may not be as achievable as I hoped as I've only been able to find one adult dance class locally :( :( :( :( :( It's a tap class which isn't really what I was wanting to do, I was wanting to do something with a little more ooomph to it for me, such as latin/salsa or even burlesque :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: So I think I'll have to reassess that one :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It will be interesting to hear how you go on with your Pain Management Blueberry, we might even be able to swap a few notes about things, depending on how we go along.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for your appt on the 22nd. Try to keep your mind as open to things as you can as even the smallest addition to your bag of coping stuff can help make a difference :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:43 pm

I have been to various pain management clinics. I actually spent 4 weeks at a workers compensation hospital where they had different classes for pain management.

They taught how to achieve your goal. Achieving that goal would be done differently from when I had fibro. It was reached by doing things maybe slower, using tools other than what normally would be used to do a job, setting my goals a little lower and then finding the original goal reached.

Learning to respect myself and feeling worthy was one huge thing they taught. Learning to respect pain was probably the number 1 lesson I was taught.

You will learn different coping skills, how to handle fibro with medication, excercise , relaxation and pacing.
Go into everything offered with the attitude that it may help, things couldn't be worse only better.

Keep us informed on how you get on with your next appointment
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby BlueBerry » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Well just had my second appointment and it was well what I call short thank goodness :lol: :lol: :-D
I got my next appointment on the 21 nov which yay ages away going work with the nurse and physo to show me or learn how take it slow and try not to rush things take time because pain that I go thought.

Hmmm not to sure at min found the letter report pretty good and work to a goal which is my drawing . we were talking about reading i went i can't physical turn a book pages cause it hurts so much, then say how about my tablet for reading which i find that I flick right thought pages and it doesn't go in my head I think that to do with my dyslexic.

Oh one weird thing happen I got 2 appointments for same doctor on 14 and 25 nov nurse thought that this is weird to and could be wrong so i got phone up.

Oh I am off to Dentist tomorrow ewwwwww :shock: :shock: :shock: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I hate it but lest it now only once every six months.
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Postby BlueBerry » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Heh guess this be my up to date pages what happen to me with the pain clinic, well I have had to stop my hydro pool thing get to much cause my ibs to mess up and I found it little to hard get dress and under dress there so I had to stop. But thankful I got my first physio next week I hope it goes well bit worry at the min my mam not doing to good with her artist so help her out I keep you all posted best I can .... btw wow not long Christmas :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Good luck with the physio Blueberry sorry to hear your mam isnt well
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services