Starting Physiotherapy

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Starting Physiotherapy

Postby Sye » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm starting physio next week, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what is likely to happen? I'm worried its going to make the pain worse or something :(
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Re: Starting Physiotherapy

Postby Katie Louise » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if it's anything like the physio I had they will ask you what exercise activities you used to like doing and tell you to do them all at least once a week, and and anyone with fms knows that swimming, cycling and playing badminton once a week will nearly put you in hospital, although my husband quite liked the idea of me getting up to the kids every morning regardless of how I feel. Hope you have a better experience than I did.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Sye....I can only relate from my experience. I have visited many physiotherapists over the 25 years with this.

I have experienced...ultra sound treatments, massage, gentle exercises , swimming and others. Any exercises were gentle stretches only to my ability. I don't think anyone will ask you to do something that you cannot do. They may ask you to try but will respect your tolerance level and not expect you to be uncomfortable.

I like some others with fibro enjoy a warm pool. Swimming or light exercise in the pool helps. I also find walking helps, no marathons, just as much as I am able.

Sye....Go with an open mind. Try what they offer, you have nothing to lose. Push yourself to your limit, maybe a bit more but listen to your body. You will know when you have had enough.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:57 pm

It does tend to vary from area~to~area as to how physio can try and help us. Hopefully you'll be assigned to one with knowledge and experience of dealing with the condition, which will help with treating you.

For some, physio can be a real benefit, whereas for others it makes little or no difference, so when you go, try and keep your mind as open as you can, and just take what you can from the session as even a small bit to add to your toolkit can help make a difference to things.

As a very general idea, when you go for your first session, you will probably be assessed by the physio. Whilst they will have been sent copies of relevant notes etc, you'll probably find that you are asked various questions about symptoms that you experience, how they affect you when they are experienced, areas that seem to be particularly affected etc etc to help with creating an overall picture to see how they may be able to help. You may be asked to move various limbs and bits of yourself around, or be asked to get up and move around, stand still etc to show what your posture is like, how you walk and so on. Once they feel they have enough info, hopefully the next step will be the physio telling you how they may be able to help you, which could include things like stretching and/or exercises to help loosen things up and keep them more flexible, maybe working on your posture as how you stand can have an effect on things, and other areas where they feel they could help improve things for you.

Depending on what they work on with you, don't be surprised if, for the first few sessions, that it makes you feel even worse at first. But hopefully, the more you go thru things with them, the easier things will start to feel for you, and you're one of the ones that find it beneficial :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sye » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:06 pm

I've had my first appointment and he's discharged me and is contacting my GP to make a referral to a rheumatologist. Any one got any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services