What do you make of this:)

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What do you make of this:)

Postby Tel1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 am

Hi All

Just been to my pre-assessment for a hospital day case procedure...As you all probably know you have to take all
medications, and they do all the check/tests/BP/Bloods etc... when they looked through my medical history on
the hospital computer, and then asked me about myself, in the course of the conversation I said what I have had
before and mentioned my Fibro condition.. and they said, oh nearly everyone in life has that, I wouldn't take much
notice of that diagnoses as it is all down to the determination of the individual... they went on to say, that they
have loads of people in their day case ward and also on the main wards with Fibro and it is not looked upon as
a condition as such, it's just a medical name and doesn't mean anything really... I never said a *word* back to them
about it, I just said, oh right I see...These nurses were in their mid 50s, so not what you would call wet behind the ears,
so I just thought to myself if that's the real medical professions attitude, god help us all. :yikes: :yikes:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Re: What do you make of this:)

Postby denys » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Heard it all before Tel unfortunately and they dont seem to be a small minority. Its downright depressing really :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:15 am

Im sure there attitude would change if they ever got it!!!!!!! :evil:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 am

Strangely enough I've just heard, someone I was at school with many long moons ago, has just been retired from the NHS due to Fibro. She was a staff nurse for many years, and is no spring chicken either lol.

Doctors,consultants and nurses can be very dismissive of many people's physical conditions, and limitations because they've seen it all and more in their time. Consultants even more so as they're always on the look out for an interesting or unusual case to write their annual BMA paper on. It's maybe not ideal but not to be unexpected. Hope your day surgery went ok.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 am

I would be writing a letter to the Chief of Staff at the hospital. I would suggest that a memo should go out to all staff members....If you are not fully educated and have the proper authority to discuss the details of a patients condition to please keep your opinion to yourself.

Wow! Over here, if a nurse or any staff member, technician etc, made such a comment on a diagnosis they could be out of a job. A nurse could lose her license for making a judgement that only a Dr could make.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 am

You didn't say anything? Blimey. I'd've read them the riot act! You must be a much nicer person than me.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Unfortunately there are still too many dinosaurs roaming the corridors of the NHS and having contact with patients :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby MPSGuy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes it is depressing isn't it. I know for a fact my GP thinks fibro is mainly a psychological problem. He will barely acknowledge or discuss my pain or physical symptoms at all.

Once someone finds the test or scan that can confirm fibromyalgia people will take it more seriously. Until then patients will continue to suffer the ignorance of doctors/nurses who have old fashioned views ("All in your head") and do not keep up with the latest research developments.

Having chronic pain and fatigue is very hard work. Being diagnosed with a condition that most people don't understand is even worse. Then having to suffer moronic, invalidating and hurtful comments from people who are supposed to know better is just intolerable. Makes me so angry.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby Misscheekywalls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:44 am

*Lisa* wrote:Im sure there attitude would change if they ever got it!!!!!!! :evil:
soooo true I would give it them for one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Misscheekywalls
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services