can I ask GP for help?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: can I ask GP for help?

Postby Tracie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:39 pm

A gp will only get involved with a letter for home visit but nothing else until it's at the appeal stage,atos have to request medical Information from the gp and he/she will then do a report and send it.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:52 am

Even where some GP's have supplied reports requesting patients are assessed at home ATOS can and do still ignore it. Insisting the person attends the medical at a centre . Have read several threads where this has happened. An ATOS Dr reads the home assessment request together with the info on the ESA form and decides whether the request is justified in his/her opinion. If it doesn't ,they dismiss the Dr's request. Why a Dr who knows nothing about the person has more say on this,than the person's GP, only the DWP or government can answer.

Anyone wanting a home assessment mainly due to severe depression or anxiety is best advised to get their mental health support worker or someone from their community mental health team who deals with them on a regular basis to make the request for a home assessment , as it seems to carry more weight.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby raindaisyflower » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Dear Lurcher

I think , even if you do attend appointments and go to the surgery on a regular basis, these are place you have been going to for a number of years and they are familiar to you, once a person with anxiety gets to know where they are going , the travelling etc , gets less stressful and less anxious. However, going to an assessment centre for ESA is whole new ball game and if the very thought of going there and being scrutinized , and all the negativity that surrounds esa , your fears and anxiety are real and understandable.

why not ask your GP to fax a note to ATOS just saying due to your anxiety disorder a home visit / assessment would be more appropriate? you can not expect your GP to be there when they come to the house, but you can have someone else there to support you.

I dont think it is an unreasonable request to ask of your GP to send a fax. Stay faithful to your GP , as he will support you in the long run, GP and medical professionals are getting sick of ATOS and the British medical association have written to the dwp about their concerns.

good luck . 8-)
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Doctors & Health Services