Wasted Doctors Appointment ??

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Wasted Doctors Appointment ??

Postby raindaisyflower » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 am

Hi

I was dx with FM in May this year....I dont think I have to tell you all how it feels to deal with the huge impact a dx is ..however i am trying very hard to accept what is happening to my body and dealing with the pain and discomfort daily, and I am being pro active in informing myself and reading and researching info on FM...at the same time trying to remain positive.

It was not my own GP who referred to the rhuemy , my own GP has left the practice , and it was a long standing GP who referred me, after my "inflammatory indicators were up"...following a routine cholesterol check.

When i went to consultant it seems it was the bog standard dx...yes you have 17/18 tender points and heres amitriptyline..no stress , rest and get plenty of sleep...heres a booklet...

I was shocked..I have enough on my plate.. I am a FT carer to my OH who has a life threatening illness..and a central pain sufferer ( post stroke pain ). :yikes:

I got proactive...and I have read about Vitamin D and Magnesium and FM ...so I made appt with the GP who referred me...but she was only seeing her own patients that morning, and changed my appt to see a locum

... so saw a locum who I directly asked what did she know about FM? ....she was direct back , said she had a friend with it and knew quite a bit about it....and we had a chat about pain control, and she prescribed me paracetamol with codeine, for now..

I explained the pain all over , in particular my legs, which feel like they are not going to hold me up and scream at me each i stand up..so she booked me a blood test for thyroid, liver etc including Vit D .

3 weeks later ...i make an appointment with yet another GP ( now new at practice and salaried) . She admitted she knew very little about FM , we talked about pain , and my current meds , and I asked about blood test results and magnesium loss.

Unfortunately, the blood test I had...had not included Vit D...locum did not put it "on system" ..so I have to repeat test ..in 3 weeks and result appt will be 2 weeks later... :evil:

I asked if my water tablet ( i was put on for blood pressure) would affect my magnesium..seems it absorbs potassium etc but not magnesium...but she said it was not correct to be on this tablet for blood pressure ....so she will review BP, but need to make another appointment . .. :evil:

Then ...she said " would like to some Prozac?"... :shock:

I said I am not depressed ..yes, I have been on Prozac in the past and not been on it since 2011..yes I get stressed , yes I get low, who wouldn't ? .in the last 5 years , my father died, my OH had 2 heart attacks on top of stroke , has life limiting blood disease and I was made redundant , then had to leave my new job due to illness and been dx with FM!! arrrrgggg! :evil: ..but i am not depressed!!

The doctor then said .." but amitriptyline is for depression..." i explained I was on it for pathway pain and sleep disturbance!!

I politely told her , that I have been reading info and forums and the general consensus is..your treatment for FM is only as good as your GP. She promised she would find out more about FM....before my next appointment .

am I flogging a dead horse here ? Our surgery is not pro active in anything ..I have had to fight hard for my OH over the last 19 years, and now it looks like I am going to have a new battle on my hands with the fibro....has anyone else having difficulty with GP?
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Re: Wasted Doctors Appointment ??

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:07 pm

raindaisyflower wrote:I politely told her , that I have been reading info and forums and the general consensus is..your treatment for FM is only as good as your GP. She promised she would find out more about FM....before my next appointment .

am I flogging a dead horse here ? Our surgery is not pro active in anything ..I have had to fight hard for my OH over the last 19 years, and now it looks like I am going to have a new battle on my hands with the fibro....has anyone else having difficulty with GP?

Difficulties with GPs aren't unusual where FM is concerned unfortunately :( :( :( However the ones that tend to be mentioned on here are somewhat different to what you have encountered with this latest GP. The regular ones are GPs being dismissive, even derisory about FM, and refusing to acknowledge it as a genuine condition with physical symptoms.

This is something which your GP hasn't done....thankfully :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: And her answering your question honestly about having very little knowledge of the condition is a kind of plus in her favour. With her saying that she will find out more about it before your next appt I personally would be inclined to give her a chance to see if she actually does this. Whilst your surgery hasn't been pro~active previously, this new GP may turn out to be more so, which could lead to both you and and your hubby starting to benefit from this change in things.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:34 pm

I agree with fluppy.

As far as being depressed.i have been on antidepressents with fibro for 25 years.

Many Dr's over the years have explained to me that as the patient we may not realize we are depressed. There are many ways depression shows itself, not only the obvious to the patient. Our bodies as well as our mind goes into a state of depression. I have been told that the majority of patients with fibro are depressed and take medication for it.

I would trust your Dr at the moment and try anything that is suggested.

This new Dr ...is a keeper!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby raindaisyflower » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:32 am

:-D Thanx , I think you are both right , there is no other alternative .
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Postby raindaisyflower » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Just an update ,

i had the results of my Vitamin D blood test, the surgery rang and said the test has shown Vitamin D deficiency , and the GP said to get some Vit D supplements from Holland and Barrett. So , glad I asked for the test now , thanx to all i read on this forum. My legs are really hurting and i am becoming very aware that I prefer to sit , rather than move , because doing so is painful, that in its self is upsetting me...the cold and wet is not helping either. :yikes:
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Hope the supplements help and your GP keeps her word and learns about fibro :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: this weather isnt doing any of us any favours, but please keep moving as much as you can (little and often) just to stop yourself seizing up as its always harder to get going again after staying still for any period of time :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby raindaisyflower » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:14 pm

will do denys x thank you x ...also pushing myself to count calories , 1500 a day as my weight has crept up , so I know even little movement will help, to think i was doing aerobics 18 months ago and how I am now ..its seems to be accelerating each month :( ...but ..

My mantra is : i refuse to sink ;-)

x x
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Postby vicky78 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi ive only just been diagnosed and still trying to get my head round it all any tips

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
vicky78
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Vicky look around he forum especially in the tips board. raindaisyflower that sounds like a perfect mantra and good luck with the calorie counting, unfortunately decreasing mobility and increasing medication does adversely affect our weight :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services