Ok officially scared now, feel as if I am losing my mind.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ok officially scared now, feel as if I am losing my mind.

Postby Immpy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:45 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new on the boards and new to Fibro, went to my GP last week to tell her all the symptoms I've had over the previous 6 weeks, and she mentioned it might be Fibro and sent me for blood tests this morning..........because of the brain fog I arrived ONE HOUR early (how stupid did I feel), but the nurse was really nice and as she had space took me in earlier.

My GP asked that I have my blood pressure checked, the nurse did it 4/5 times and told me it was really high 160/115, asked if I had had any headaches, I have since Boxing day (26th) and taking paracetmol for it, asked if I was on wafrin :yikes: and was my headache a tight band around the head, I said yes and did I have ringing in my ears and said yes my tinnitus is really bad since this flare up began. While asking all these questions she was taking bloods, and seemed really concerned about me, telling me she was only a nurse but she is using her common sense and booking me in to see a GP today :shock: not telling me why, and stupidly didn't ask. While being concerned with me (and very grateful that she was) she didn't take enough blood for all the tests and had to go into the same arm again OUCH, couldn't get anymore blood out, so had to go into my other arm for more blood!

She walked me to reception asked for an appointment today, they couldn't but I have one at 10am tomorrow morning, and was told to go home and rest for the rest of the day. So scared now, no one to talk to here at home as I live on my own, I know if I panic my blood pressure will go up so am on here for some calming advice please?
Immpy
UKFM Member

Re: Ok officially scared now, feel as if I am losing my mind

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Sorry your feeling worried and no matter what anyone says it can be hard not to especially if you live alone.

Peoples blood pressure can be up sometimes just going to surgery (white coat syndrome) and the more times she took it the more anxious she became.

She probably would have had nothing to tell you other than "it is a precaution."

As for relaxation feet up a :cup1: a slice or two of :cake: :cake: and some [chocolate] just in case. Joking aside try some calming breathing exercise to relaxing music read or what ever you enjoy that involve little effort.

As for tomorrow I would arrive at surgery a little early so you have time to sit and compose yourself and not rushing in at last minute.

Good luck for tomorrow and I send a loan of my :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: to cuddle.
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Immpy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 pm

Thank you for your support Dotty and the loan of your :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: I went back to see the GP today to check my BP and its still high so have been given BP tablets, I also had to have an ECG which came back fine and am now being sent for a chest x-ray on Friday as I asked about a neck pain I have had for well over 3 weeks now and hurts every time I breath.

I found out today that the GP who thinks I have Fibro and ordered the battery of blood tests, is going on maternity leave today, but luckily the GP I saw today was in the next office to her and they have discussed my 'case' and she is now going to look after me. As she said that Fibro was a case of elimination and once we had eliminated everything we can try to sort out all the aches and pains, my list is longer than a few aches and pains but just glad that I am being taken seriously and not being told that it is all in my head.
Immpy
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Immpy....It is great that you have a Dr who is trying to help you. It can feel like forever to get a diagnosis and the stress builds. Once you have eliminated anything else, you and your Dr will be able to start to find out what will help you.

Keep that Dr!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Immpy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:27 pm

Whoami, I'm new to the area where I now live, and the surgery has been fantastic, to have two GP's know about Fibro is brilliant, and have them talk to each other for continuation of care is even better. I have made an appointment for 13th Jan to get the results of my blood tests so I will be interested in where we go from there.

I'm shattered as had a stressful day, being at the surgery most of the morning and then the hospital with my hearing loss this afternoon, I'm so looking forward to tomorrow when I'm busy doing nothing!
Immpy
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:55 pm

Impy.....you have a wonderfully busy day tomorrow doing nothing!

I am curious as to what area of the UK are you in. To have 2 Dr's in one surgery knowing about fibro is great. I wondered if Dr's know more in the built up areas as to rural?
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Immpy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Whoami, I used to live in a bustling town, but now live in a small rural village in Norfolk, East England. When I was reading about Fibro I remember reading about when going to see a GP it is better to see a younger doctor as they have been taught about Fibro during their training. Luckily both my GP's are of the younger generation!

Had a great day today, there are benefits to living on your own, you can please yourself what you do, although I have had pain today, and been shattered I have been able to rest.
Immpy
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 pm

hi immpy i would not worry to much about the BP ,,, just let them sort it out , some times it high when your stressed , mine is all over the place and thats on tablits , i live on the norfolk / suffolk border and was dx by rummy at the norfolk and norwich after years of strange things happening , they were very good up there but dont seem much they can do for you

glad your not quite so scared now
take care of yourself
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Immpy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:39 pm

An update, I went along to my GP this morning to get the results of my blood tests and chest x-ray all were clear except one which was a fatty liver :shock: I know I am overweight but not vastly, so will have to do something about that as it is down to diet. I have to go back next month and have another blood test to check it isn't still rising.

My blood pressure was down slightly and when I go back next month if it hasn't gone down more my GP suggested a stronger tablet, I asked her outright what she thinks this is that I might have and she said she thinks it is Fibro, but didn't really give me a way forward with it. I still have the pain in my neck when breathing in (a month now) which goes down my arm and produces pins and needles in my left arm. I can't sleep, and mentioned this to the doctor, she has put me on Amitriptyline 10mg but am only taking half a tablet for the first couple of days to see how it affects me.

I know how lucky I am to have a GP who believes that what I'm saying is what is actually happening to me, but for me the brain fog is a killer, it feels like I am continuously fighting my way out of jelly just to think straight.
Immpy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:58 pm

The fog is something that blights us all unfortunately :( :( :( I now describe myself as having weetabix for brains thanks to how it affects me :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Some meds can add to the foggyness as well, Amitriptyline is one of the ones that can do this, so see how you go with it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services