What to expect at rheumatologist appointment

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What to expect at rheumatologist appointment

Postby roo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Sorry I have not introduced my self, I am in my mid 40's and my Dr suspects I have Fibromyalgia, I had never heard of it until GP mentioned it. I have been referred to a rheumatologist but do not know what to expect at the appointment. I hate medical appointments have had loads over the years and would appreciate some ideas of what will happen, any advise would be appreciated. Thank you for any replies :?:
roo
UKFM Member

Re: What to expect at rheumatologist appointment

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:02 pm

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily roo :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

With you asking about your rheumy appt, I've jiffled you over onto this board as it's more suitable. Don't worry too much about not making an introduction, when you do get a mo, if you :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: over to "Where To Say Hello" it would be lovely to "meet" you.

You may find this Linky of some help wrt your upcoming appt. It's a general idea of what could happen as each rheumy tends to do things in their own way, but may help you prepare yourself.

Anything else you're wondering about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for the best possible outcome for you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby roo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 am

Thank you for the reply. I had booked my appointment on line about a week ago it is not until a months times, but had a phone call yesterday it has been brought forward by one week so that is good news. Fingers crossed I get some answers and stronger pain killers rather than paracetamol!
roo
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 pm

I started seeing a rheumatologist a year ago when i was diagnosed with arthritis at the tender age of 33. My most recent appointment he added a second diagnosis of fibro. What happened was, he asked me how i had been feeling and where i had my aches and pains. I lay on a bed and he noted i had no visible inflammation but he did press on various areas on my body which i now know are pressure points for fibro. He hit every single one. It was agony! I am now on a low dose anti depressant at night to help with sleep which he says makes things worse for me, paracetamol during the day and a vitamin D supplement as he says a lot of fibro people are deficient in it. I have had blood tests done for this and other things after my appointment. I expect you too may have some bloods done to confirm diagnosis x

PS My xrays last year were fine as was a recent MRI x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby roo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:02 pm

:cry: I am not in a good place at the moment with all the pain. My appointment is on Thursday so hopefully I will get some answers but I am unsure if I should stop taking the over the counter pain killers I am taking at the moment so they can see what I am like without any medication or keep taking what I can so they see that over the counter tablets just don't give much relief! Any suggestions or advise would be great, its just that I want as much help from the Doctors as possible rather than being told lets see how you go feel like I am at breaking point with this and just need to know what is wrong with me so I can adjust to any changes I need to make. Sorry for the garble I hope this does make sense serious issues with concentration due to lack of sleep! :sleep: :pull-hair: :cry:
roo
UKFM Member

Postby Yorkiegirl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:20 pm

I had my app on Monday and was diagnosed with fibro and chronic fatigue!!! I was asked a lot of questions and was checked on some of the pressure points!!! I've now been referred on to a support group course which is for 8 weeks!!! I've got to have another assessment beforehand!!! Good Luck with app!!! I was diagnosed by my doctor with ME last November but decided to have me checked for fibro!!! I have a very good and understanding doctor who has been brilliant!!! I'm on gabapentin, paracetamol, naproxen & duloxetine and although I find I'm still in pain I wonder what I'd be like without them!!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Yorkiegirl
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services